What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers Unpopularity XIII

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Mark Mcgaw was similar. Went thru the motions until the last month of his contract. Then played like a gladiator for his final games.

Munky

Coach
I raged against Nathan Smith for all of 2007 & 2008.

He became decent after that.

mxlegend99

Referee
I hated him with passion too. But I came around after he started playing well. Not sure he deserved as many chances as he got, but he was a handy player in 2010.

flash

Juniors
Tighe was a dud for mine. Not as bad as some others, but still never really cemented his spot as a first grader for us despite playing a lot of first grade. Basically was selected by default or favoritism. I don't think we've had a single Knights player deliver for us as yet. The most recent ones:

1. Wes Naiqama
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Brad Tighe
4. Timana Tahu
7. Luke Walsh
8. Adam Woolnough
10. Brandon Worth
11. Clint Newton
12. Kyle O'Donnell
13. Cameron Ciraldo

Off the top of my head, can't think of anymore. But not one of these guys has been a good buy. Kevin Naiqama is the star of this group, and he has still yet to deliver for us. Hopefully he changes that, but he looks on par to join the rest of these guys IMO.

Different eras but I can fill the positions, what a team...

1. Wes Naiqama
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Paul Franze
4. Timana Tahu
5. Ashley Gordon
6. Brad Tighe
7. Luke Walsh
8. Adam Woolnough
9. Justin Holbrook
10. Brandon Worth
11. Clint Newton
12. Kyle O'Donnell
13. Cameron Ciraldo

Panther Pete

Juniors
Different eras but I can fill the positions, what a team...

1. Wes Naiqama
2. Kevin Naiqama
3. Paul Franze
4. Timana Tahu
5. Ashley Gordon
6. Brad Tighe
7. Luke Walsh
8. Adam Woolnough
9. Justin Holbrook
10. Brandon Worth
11. Clint Newton
12. Kyle O'Donnell
13. Cameron Ciraldo
I think you may be a little premature naming K.Naiqama.

Scotty03

Juniors
1. Wes Naiqama
2. Adrian Purtell
3. Paul Franze
4. Lee Hookey
5. Mark O'halloran
6. Richie Williams
7. Luke Walsh
8. Matt Adamson
9. Masada Iosefa
10. Brendan Worth
11. Cameron Ciraldo
12. Clint Newton
13. Joseph Paulo

This! Although it's a tie between Wes and Sammut at 1.

Nealo 12

Bench
Butch Fatanowa was my all time favorite flash in the pan , 1 major melt down in a trial then never to be seen again ?

Nealo 12

Bench
I seem to recall Franze actually scoring a few tries in his last few games with us and everyone was wondering where that form had been for the past year or so.

Yep Franze killed it in his last game for us.

Boy he copped in the official Panthers Forum every week.

I felt sorry for him in the end, not sure if he retired or went to the UK for a brief stint.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Another dud was Brett Firman. He played a few first grade games in 2007 still living off a reputation created by one decent season at the Dragons.

Yep Franze killed it in his last game for us.

Boy he copped in the official Panthers Forum every week.

I felt sorry for him in the end, not sure if he retired or went to the UK for a brief stint.

He went to Castleford in 2006 for 3 games then he went and played for the Pia donkeys for 2 seasons. I think his career finished at Gateshead in 2009 when they entered administration.
I'm sure he also played a bit of rugby.

Best game I remember him having for us was against Brisbane.
Brisbane was up 20 - 14 late in the game when Franze zoomed past a hobbling Hodges, he scored again with 49 seconds remaining from fulltime to seal a 22 - 20 win.

Pomoz

Bench
He went to Castleford in 2006 for 3 games then he went and played for the Pia donkeys for 2 seasons. I think his career finished at Gateshead in 2009 when they entered administration.
I'm sure he also played a bit of rugby.

Brisbane was up 20 - 14 late in the game when Franze zoomed past a hobbling Hodges, he scored again with 49 seconds remaining from fulltime to seal a 22 - 20 win.
Paul Franze and the word "zoomed" in the same sentence. You don't see that every day. I expect you use the word zoomed in the context of his relative speed compared to Hodges, who was nailed, riveted and super glued to the floor at the time and carrying two Acme anvils for Wile E Coyote.

Fibroman

First Grade
There should be 2 categories for this thread. A team of players that weren't popular with the fan base, and another side for over rated players that went backwards when they came to our club. I've been following Panthers since 1973, so there isn't enough room to fit them in if we go back to the chocolate soldiers days.

Most unpopular with fans in recent years: Adrian Purtell
Over rated and did nothing: Cameron Ciraldo

Both these blokes would struggle to hold a spot in A Reserves and got picked week after week due to Mini bus Elliot.

Paul Franze and the word "zoomed" in the same sentence. You don't see that every day. I expect you use the word zoomed in the context of his relative speed compared to Hodges, who was nailed, riveted and super glued to the floor at the time and carrying two Acme anvils for Wile E Coyote.

Yep he took full advantage and got us home, I was happy that afternoon.

Unfortunately, those two tries couldn't make up for the dozen or more tries he denied Luke Rooney during season 2005. You could visibly see Rooney's frustrations when tries went begging.

Can't believe Franze was earmarked as Girdler's successor!

roofromoz

First Grade
2005 was just one of those seasons... killed it in the pre-season, to the point where we were viewed as premiership favourites in some circles. Had an all right start, but by the end of the Origin period were in the bottom 2 or 3. We won our last 5, including smashing eventual premiers the Tigers in the last round after being down something like 20-0 and if it wasn't for Manly beating Canberra the night before, would have finished 8th... and dare I say may have give ourselves a better account against minor premiers Parramatta than what Manly did.

But... it's coulda woulda shoulda...

TheFrog

Coach
2005 was just one of those seasons... killed it in the pre-season, to the point where we were viewed as premiership favourites in some circles. Had an all right start, but by the end of the Origin period were in the bottom 2 or 3. We won our last 5, including smashing eventual premiers the Tigers in the last round after being down something like 20-0 and if it wasn't for Manly beating Canberra the night before, would have finished 8th... and dare I say may have give ourselves a better account against minor premiers Parramatta than what Manly did.

But... it's coulda woulda shoulda...

We were a point behind the Chickens on F/A. 0 vs +1.

Had Manly lost the Australorps would have made 8th. I think I prefer Manly.

betcats

Referee
Has Joel Clinton been mentioned? By time he left us I hated watching him play, good for an error at a crucial time every game, and Trent Waterhouse and his holding down penalties, get the f**k up you big merkin.

Pomoz

Bench
Im watching a 88 game against the Tigers on fox, based on this game alone Neil Baker looks like a bum
A bum? Pretty fair appraisal. Haven't you ever seen him play? He was around just as the team was starting to develop into a premiership force. I remember being in the crowd with the Panthers fans and every time a bomb went up, we would all cross ourselves and pray. Ricky Stuart was just coming into first grade at that time and was developing the massive spiral bomb. Neil Baker needed incontinence pants when we played them.

When he left, there was a collective sigh of relief across Penrith. Whew......

Latest posts