What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers Unpopularity XIII

martielang

Bench
The Turtle wasn't flash but he was always giving 100%. I won't hate on the Turtle.

Franze was one of those stories where the average bloke makes it and manages to create a career purely based on the 'right place, right time' idea.

We've had some unusual selections over the years but we were also a complete mess.

The biggest take away I with how the club is now, is that we're competitive and can build teams year after year.

When Griffin was here, I loved the fact we could be competitive and give the ladder a shake. It was so much better than the hit and miss seasons under Elliott and after Lang.

Nowadays, I get great comfort knowing we're so far from where we were.

Turtle played backrow, 5/8th, centre, wing. The perfect 14 in today's game. Elliott a man before his time.

Wasn't Franze more injury related? Did his ACL and lost all his pace. I remember him hitting form the last month he was here before he went to rugby.

soc123_au

Staff member
Turtle played backrow, 5/8th, centre, wing. The perfect 14 in today's game. Elliott a man before his time.

Wasn't Franze more injury related? Did his ACL and lost all his pace. I remember him hitting form the last month he was here before he went to rugby.
Franze's problem was he forgot how to pass. Rooney could have scored a thousand tries that year if Franze didn't have glue on his hands. Once he signed for RU he remembered again and started looking good.

Spurty Purts was starchy, I liked him, always tried his guts out, not his fault he was very limited in most of the attributes required by an NRL player. He would hold the record for the worlds slowest length of the field try, I recall him taking an intercept against Canberra in one of his first games for us, I porked the Mrs in celebration, got her pregnant, she gave birth and our Daughter got to see Purts plant it over the tryline to win us the game on her 1st birthday. How none of the Raiders managed to shut it down still amazes me.

Tahu was another that never got much love while with us. Arrived looking like Owen Cragie after competing in a pie eating contest. Once he got fit he started looking really good, then did his Pec the same game as Flash did his knee against the Broncos. Another promising season then went down the shitter.

Fangs

Coach
He would hold the record for the worlds slowest length of the field try

His debut game. I was annoyed because his crappy defence gave up a try in the second half which led to the Raiders getting back in the game. His intercept killed the comeback so he made up for it.

22 minutes 35 seconds for those who want to relive it. Vintage football.

Franze's problem was he forgot how to pass. Rooney could have scored a thousand tries that year if Franze didn't have glue on his hands. Once he signed for RU he remembered again and started looking good.

Spurty Purts was starchy, I liked him, always tried his guts out, not his fault he was very limited in most of the attributes required by an NRL player. He would hold the record for the worlds slowest length of the field try, I recall him taking an intercept against Canberra in one of his first games for us, I porked the Mrs in celebration, got her pregnant, she gave birth and our Daughter got to see Purts plant it over the tryline to win us the game on her 1st birthday. How none of the Raiders managed to shut it down still amazes me.

Tahu was another that never got much love while with us. Arrived looking like Owen Cragie after competing in a pie eating contest. Once he got fit he started looking really good, then did his Pec the same game as Flash did his knee against the Broncos. Another promising season then went down the shitter.
My phone is now wet, and I almost chocked. This is your fault. 😀😀😀

The Realist

Juniors

And he played them all VERY VERY BADLY. He was the classic case of 'Teachers Pet' along with Smith who actually became an OK player,

Munky

Coach
And he played them all VERY VERY BADLY. He was the classic case of 'Teachers Pet' along with Smith who actually became an OK player,

I mentioned Smith in this thread earlier.

Becoming a decent player isn't a good thing IMO since it means wasted cap for multiple years when they could have toiled in the second tier before being a needed plodder late career.

Kilkenny

Coach
Nathan Smith always gave his best, which sometimes is all you can ask when the club overall is not performing that great. He should never come into any discussions around unpopular players, he was a really good clubman, 120 NRL games with us @nd a handful with the Raiders not to shabby. Decent bloke too.

MugaB

Coach
Nathan Smith always gave his best, which sometimes is all you can ask when the club overall is not performing that great. He should never come into any discussions around unpopular players, he was a really good clubman, 120 NRL games with us @nd a handful with the Raiders not to shabby. Decent bloke too.
He was one of my favourites

YoungPanther

Juniors
Idris was pretty good for us when not injured.
Not long after Jamal joined I remember seeing him absolutely floor one of the Newcastle players (can't remember who) but left him on the ground for a good few minutes. Was just the perfect tackle. Thought then we had something special and as mentioned, good when he was on, those games were few and far between though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Not long after Jamal joined I remember seeing him absolutely floor one of the Newcastle players (can't remember who) but left him on the ground for a good few minutes. Was just the perfect tackle. Thought then we had something special and as mentioned, good when he was on, those games were few and far between though.
If he had the work ethic of a Dylan Edwards he could have been anything.

The Realist

Juniors
I am sure a few forums goers in here would almost die to 'give their best' for the Panthers - and some of the might also be 'great blokes' as well. Doesn't mean they should ever get near playing for the team!

Smith was a well below average player for the majority of his career. At times, particularly early in his Panthers career he was downright trash. He only got a go because of his relationship with Elliot. He turned into a 'decent' player at his peak. Funny how Smith pretty much never played 1st grade again for anyone after Pappa Elliot was gone. Was barely even a reserve grader soon after.

I respect his tenacity and his effort. Became a good tackler. Still doesn't mean he should have played for us.

Blade23

Juniors
Sid Domic.

Brett Boyd. Still can't believe Roycie tried to turn him into a prop.

Royce did a bit if that. Turning backs into forwards. He was set on having a mobile pack back then.
Backs Matt Adamson, Morvin Edwards, Domic and even Bobby Thompson had stints in the forwards. Could be others it was so long ago.
Only Adamson made successful transition.

Pomoz

Bench
Great idea for a thread. Nomination for 5/8, Travis Burns. Ordinary players and pretty much a thug, but more in a meat head kind of way than a helpful way.
Oh man, Travis could start a fight in an empty room. The Begbie of the football world. A man who at birth, probably tried to bite the doctor that pulled him out. It's a good job he was small. Imagine that amount of aggro in the body of Eddie Blacker, he would have killed people. Built like Jane, played like Tarzan with roid rage.
1690082117433.png