What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing in that tackle. Bloody heavy knock though. Seeing his limp body and the blood coming (seemingly) from his hear was quite concerning initially.

Heard he's all good and will likely line up next week. Could've been a shit tonne worse.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Wests Tigers revisit plans to take a game to Hawaii
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
May 27 2017 - 7:00PM

Ivan Cleary and his new-look Tigers could be spending the off-season in Hawaii as the joint-venture outfit revisits plans to take a game to the holiday hot spot.

The Tigers are in negotiations to take a pre-season trial to the 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium, the home of the University of Hawaii's Rainbow Warriors. St George Illawarra will be their opponents if they can make the bold plan a reality.

The joint-venture outfit had attempted to stage the fixture during the past off-season, although broadcasting issues weren't resolved in time for the NRL to give it the seal of approval. Undeterred, Tigers officials are beavering away at the project in the hope of becoming the first NRL side to play in Hawaii.

"We're certainly revisiting it," Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe said.

"It's a matter of evaluating the schedule – this off-season is going to be very busy with a World Cup, the Nines and other events.

"We've got to make sure we manage the schedule in the best interests of the team. As that becomes clearer, we'll be able to make a judgment on whether Hawaii remains a reality for 2018 or we look at it for 2019 and beyond. We still feel there's value there."

If successful, the Tigers won't be the only team in Hawaii during the upcoming off-season. Queensland Cup sides Tweed Heads Seagulls and Ipswich Jets will play for the Ohana Cup in Waikiki on October 14.

Pascoe believes there are plenty of benefits in taking the Tigers overseas.

"It's brand recognition, exposing the game and your brand to new markets," he said.

"It's getting best practice and ideas from some of the elite sports in America.

"It's a good thing for a club to be exploring to test their geographical boundaries in terms of opportunity."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/content/adapt...to-take-a-game-to-hawaii-20170527-gweg9b.html

Shredder

Juniors
What a disruption.

Hope we are getting paid a tack of money to do this.

If the NRL want to showcase the product they can send someone else.

macnaz

Staff member
Its more a WT inititive i think Shredder , might be a good thing with a whole new side to travel and bond as team mates.
I was considering making the trip over this year until it was canceled . I be keen to go in 2018 if it goes ahead .

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah thats what I was hoping was not the answer.

Maybe, I dont know. I do like that they are in camp this week before next weeks game though - Im not sure we ever did that before.....

Tigerm

First Grade
Its more a WT inititive i think Shredder , might be a good thing with a whole new side to travel and bond as team mates.
I was considering making the trip over this year until it was canceled . I be keen to go in 2018 if it goes ahead .
Yep, you still have to run the business, trying to attract new fans, sponsors etc, positive step I would have thought.

super_coach

First Grade
It is just a PR exercise taking a game to the States. Its not like they think they can attract a fan base or even develop the game over there. It is about getting a whole lot of media exposure both here and abroad that they would normally not attract at that time of the year. Good for sponsors and good for the marketing department and probably a good bonding trip for basically a whole new team

Crazyperpman

Juniors
So the top clubs are avoiding the World Club Challenge and we are inventing our own preseason disruptions? That's genuis.

Surely the memo suggesting this is dated 2015

Shredder

Juniors
See to me, taking a week out to do a jaunt to Hawaii, where noone gives a shit is irresponsible given next year we have virtually an entire new team that needs a pre season together.....

Just my view.

Clifferd

Coach
Actually a week overseas would be perfect for our whole new team. Gives them a chance to bond with each other since they'll virtually be living with each other for a week rather than just seeing each other at training

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Actually a week overseas would be perfect for our whole new team. Gives them a chance to bond with each other since they'll virtually be living with each other for a week rather than just seeing each other at training
I think they also want to form ties with the university gridiron team to learn from them about training, psychology etc. Could be a good alliance. Only a short flight to Hawaii compared to UK or China LOL. I think it's a great idea, even before considering the marketing benefits.

Clifferd

Coach
I think they also want to form ties with the university gridiron team to learn from them about training, psychology etc. Could be a good alliance. Only a short flight to Hawaii compared to UK or China LOL. I think it's a great idea, even before considering the marketing benefits.

Yep it has huge benefits even not considering the marketing aspects of it

simmo05

Bench
Maybe stage a game in pattaya or manila, plenty of expats sampling the local wares there. I would go to that game!

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I'd love them to go over to Hawaii - one of my favourite holiday destinations. Would anyone else make the pilgrimage if this is confirmed?