What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

giboz71

First Grade
Fair dinkum if we're rating 6's, tune in to the the Cows and Broncos now.

The 2 best 6's by far are putting on a show.

giboz71

First Grade
They are so damn good.

Straight Shooter

That's why when I watch Milford and Morgan, I sometimes wonder about Widdop. Widdop's a great player but these 2 are in another class.

As I've said, with the reduced interchange, these sorts of players will dominate.

Unfortunately, we don't have any.

BLM01

First Grade
You are welcome to make it more substantive by providing your own rating. Just do it seriously, not like "BLM01".
Boy! what a set up. How could I not see that having an opinion was so wrong on this thread. I was set up to fail and fell for it hook line an sinker.
BTW I am serious and you should watch that BP

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
So for those who took this thread seriously (looks like 5 of us did), Widdop scores:
3-4 from Vas
6 from me
7 from Mick
7 from BLM01
Underwhelming from Rob.

Sounds about right.

Using a scale of 1 being pretty much useless and 10 being pretty much perfect.

# Ball playing ability – 6 . Takes it to the line well but all to often just chucks it out the back. Not entirely his fault as there never seems to be people in place for flat balls. (Friz would be especially effective running onto a short flat ball on god's outside)

# Running game – 4 - Sadly, he was touted as a great running half but I suspect that hip injury slowed him down.

# Evasive ability – 4 - not sure why this isn't a sub category of running game'. Maybe Vas couldn't think of other variables.

# Speed – 7 - faster than most halves but my no means lightning... For the 3rd consecutive point you are talking about his running game so why bother with this category. You said, "(I know he is quite fast for a half but as he never runs the ball, he can’t score higher than 3. The only way I know he is quite fast was from when he took an intercept.)"

# Long kicking – 4. Finds ground alot more than Benji. Makes some sensible plays and finds touch when needed. Too many major errors. Out on the full etc.

# Attacking kicking – 8. Well done Vas. You are a good rugby league analyst. :cool:

# Tackling – 7. Very good tackler for a half . Usually goes low but chops people down quickly enough or times it well enough with one of our forwards to prevent offloads.

# Goal kicking – 5 (This frustrates me too)

All these ratings are subjective so I'll just get on with it.

#Composure – 7. Failing to find touch on penalties, out on the full, poor goal kicking, etc. Generally looks to be in control but does make some silly mistakes.

#Toughness – 7. Tackles well. Very quick recovery time from that hip injury. Keeps getting up. No melodramatics.

#Communication - 6. Always barking instructions. Even when Benny was captain. By far the teams most vocal player in attack. Loses points because said attack ain't workin'.

#Leadership – 8. Extremely well respected by the playing group + the above 3 points come into this.

Overall. 6.5-7

I hope for your sake he has a shocker and we lose.

I'll be on the other side hoping we do well. May the best man win.

TruSaint

Referee
Dugan yesterday was back at his devastating best.
Gaz, led by example, was in everything.
Ran for 109 metres, 1 try assist and kicked the winner under pressure.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Well said true well said. How good was rein as well when he plays like that he's well worth keeping

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Using a scale of 1 being pretty much useless and 10 being pretty much perfect.

# Ball playing ability ? 1 (If the enemy defensive line is 10 meters away, he takes 2 steps and passes and if it?s 5 meters away he catches and passes immediately. And that is all he does. Game after game.)

# Running game ? 0.5 (He never does it. Occasionally he runs around in a circle and then dives at the feet of the oncoming enemy defense. A few times last season he ran ?a little? (and I mean, a little) when someone made a break and Widdop was in support. The game against Souffs was so typical. The forwards dominated, JDB was outstanding and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!)

# Evasive ability ? 1 (I?m assuming if forced he can kind of step or swerve but I can?t remember seeing it.)

# Speed ? 3 (I know he is quite fast for a half but as he never runs the ball, he can?t score higher than 3. The only way I know he is quite fast was from when he took an intercept.)

# Long kicking ? 1 (I notice McCrone did almost all of that in the last game. I presume Mary lost patience and told Widdop to only kick down the middle of the field.)

# Attacking kicking ? 8 (as far as I can see it?s the only thing he does well but that is not even close to enough. I mean, it doesn?t come close to making up for his deficiencies.)

# Tackling ? 4 (He is a legs tackler which of course is no longer effective but is better than missing tackles.)

# Goal kicking ? 5 (This frustrates me. He appears to strike the ball quite well but I can?t remember the last time he got one from close to the sideline. He probably has but they are few and far between. Last week the penalty kick went in off the post even though the kick was taken from closer to the posts than the sideline.)

And some more subjective qualities:

*Composure ? 10 (I?m not exactly sure what his means but every time I don?t see a game but hear Gareth Widdop was ?composed?, I know it?s a code word for ?did nothing good worth noting?.)

*Toughness ? 3 (He doesn?t just hang an arm out in defense but given his refusal to run the ball or shoulder tackle, he can?t score more than a 3.)

*Communication ? 9 (I?m assuming that is the case. I know highlighted his communication in a pre-season interview. I took it to mean he can?t run the ball or ball-play so he is resting on something as subjective as this.)

*Leadership ? 2 (Too early to make a determination one way or another but it?s an insult to guys like Dugan that his captain refuses to go to the enemy defensive line with ball in hand.)

What have I missed?

I need to quote myself in order to update the above.

# Ball playing ability ? 1 (If the enemy defensive line is 10 meters away, he takes 2 steps and passes and if it?s 5 meters away he catches and passes immediately. And that is all he does. Game after game.)

# Running game ? 0.5 (He never does it. Occasionally he runs around in a circle and then dives at the feet of the oncoming enemy defense. A few times last season he ran ?a little? (and I mean, a little) when someone made a break and Widdop was in support. The game against Souffs was so typical. The forwards dominated, JDB was outstanding and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!)

Updated 26/4: Someone has obviously had some harsh words to him. I doubt it was McGregor. More likely it was Gaz? criticism of Widdop on Fox Sport. He scored that try against the Gold Coast when they obviously didn?t expect him to run. He ran the ball a few more times in that game. Hardly troubled the enemy defense but at least it was a little less predictable. Against the Roosters he reverted to his usual self. Therefore his rating has only gone up slightly from 0.5 to 1.5.

# Evasive ability ? 1 (I?m assuming if forced he can kind of step or swerve but I can?t remember seeing it.)

# Speed ? 3 (I know he is quite fast for a half but as he never runs the ball, he can?t score higher than 3. The only way I know he is quite fast was from when he took an intercept.)

# Long kicking ? 1 (I notice McCrone did almost all of that in the last game. I presume Mary lost patience and told Widdop to only kick down the middle of the field.)

# Attacking kicking ? 8 (as far as I can see it?s the only thing he does well but that is not even close to enough. I mean, it doesn?t come close to making up for his deficiencies.)

Updated 26/4: He put in that kick against the Roosters. If it were any other 5/8 in the competition it would be pretty standard but as it?s Widdop lots of homies are doing handstands and swearing he is the best player since Reg Gasnier (if not better!) and etc. It isn?t enough to make up for his ridiculous display against the Broncos and Cowboys and average display against GC and Roosters. His rating has gone down to 6.0.

# Tackling ? 4 (He is a legs tackler which of course is no longer effective but is better than missing tackles.)

Updated 26/4: Against the Broncos Darius Boyd, not exactly a Greg Inglis or Josh Dugan type fullback, ran straight at Widdop. Widdop stepped out of the way and slapped Boyd across the face as he went past. He conceded a penalty from which the Broncos scored a try. Disgraceful! Then for the Broncos last try, Ben Hunt ran straight over the top of Widdop, stepped around cover defenders coming across, Widdop got up and came again and Hunt swatted his attempt away. His rating has gone down to 1.0.

# Goal kicking ? 5 (This frustrates me. He appears to strike the ball quite well but I can?t remember the last time he got one from close to the sideline. He probably has but they are few and far between. Last week the penalty kick went in off the post even though the kick was taken from closer to the posts than the sideline.)

And some more subjective qualities:

*Composure ? 10 (I?m not exactly sure what his means but every time I don?t see a game but hear Gareth Widdop was ?composed?, I know it?s a code word for ?did nothing good worth noting?.)

Updated 26/4: He seems to be taking the wrong option again and again. Against the Roosters, once again Gaz was highly unimpressed on Fox when with 2 minutes to go Widdop put up a nothing bomb rather than just roll the ball over the touch line. He made several such mistakes against the Broncos and Cowboys but they were lost in the white noise of the rest of his game. His rating has gone down to 5.0.

*Toughness ? 3 (He doesn?t just hang an arm out in defense but given his refusal to run the ball or shoulder tackle, he can?t score more than a 3.)

Updated 26/4: See the update for tackling. Enough said. His rating has gone down to 1.0.

*Communication ? 9 (I?m assuming that is the case. I know highlighted his communication in a pre-season interview. I took it to mean he can?t run the ball or ball-play so he is resting on something as subjective as this.)

*Leadership ? 2 (Too early to make a determination one way or another but it?s an insult to guys like Dugan that his captain refuses to go to the enemy defensive line with ball in hand.)

Updated 26/4: Once again, see the update for tackling. How the f**k can anyone expect guys like Dugan and JDB to respect this plodder as a captain??? Patently absurd! His rating has gone to 0.5 but with a negative outlook.

Latest posts