What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Em Cowboy

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Really liked Sommertons game tonight. Ran when the markers were shot, kept his service simple otherwise and defends adequately. Looked to handle the pace much better than his first game. Soni has done those things in patches also but not very often so we’ll see. Would definitely like to see Sommerton given a shot at deputising for Kenny next year.

Nice game, back to normal service. Our real ace in the hole is Tago and Sorenson I think. We’ve been playing with a busted left edge for most of the year. Just having genuine strike on both edges tonight made us so much more incisive. Add Sorro to that and we are a very different side to the workmanlike attack we’ve seen a lot this year.

I reckon Tito needs a shout out as well, despite the couple of errors. He’s starting to find his way into games outside of just being a reliable metreage/defensive winger. The kid has a stack of talent and we’re starting to see it just when we are about to start looking around for who will replace Critta’s class.

I understand May has put on some chest size. I believe he will move to centre in 23. Tito will stay on the wing, he's so reliable too.

I've been very impressed with Sommerton, he like his guile and defensive reads.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah the bloke who's not ok with what Soni Luke has continually done in our jersey is the one with issues. You're a sick man
You are a laughing stock.

Everyone on here knows what you bring to this conversation and that is nothing.

The most pathetic, hypocrite individual ever.

We We’re great tonight, loved it, suck it up it must hurt you so much.

The Realist

Juniors
People might not forgive soni but people writing him off like smug are silly.

He just needs a chance like sommerton has had...

This is why i said to you for ao long luke deserves longer mins.. give hime a chance to show what he can do.

I've seen enough minutes from him. The opposition team ALWAYS gets a huge roll on when Soni is on the field. Everyone just runs at him, gets good post contact metres and usually a fast PTB.

I was originally a fan. Saw the spark he gave our attack which is more than Kenny is capable of. Thought to myself with game time his attack will only get better and he will be our next 'quasi' Api.

But Api can defend. Soni just doesn't seem capable at NRL level. As much as I like free flowing attack and 'ferrari Footy' like the 03 Panthers and at times when we had strike like Lewis, Gordon, Jennings, Pritchard etc - but we are not that style of team. We are defense first. Any attacking flair is just cream on the top of our [grind] cake.

The Realist

Juniors
I can’t see Luke getting another game unless Kenny is not back next week.
Peachy will be the utility, probably replaced by Cogger when luai is back.
I think Cleary was experimenting a bit tonight with bench options.
Peach had a fair bit of time at 9 and hosking found his way back into the centres.

Peach was good at number 9. Perfect when Forwards are tired because he is a run first player and is still agile and quick off the mark.

Hosking - I am definitely not a fan of him at centre. Garner is easily a better centre, though Hosko is definitely the better 2nd rower given he has far more game time in 1st grade this year to build combinations and true NRL match fitness.

Takeaways -

Sommerton - there’s the future hooker/dummy half for the club right there. Give him more game time next season with Cleary Luai Edwards and watch the magic happen. Plenty upside. Raw and young but really provided good solid genuine service.

Forwards - aimed up after last week and owned the game. Great performance by the ever consistent props and I thought Martin prior to HIA was a rabid dog in origin mode.

Tago - welcome back, provided so much every zip and headaches for the defence on his edge. Such a brut of a player, excellent silky skills. Great to see him get game time.

Critta - wow, this bloke is hungry for one lat premiership with his mates. I’d argue he is in career best form right now! Absolute shame he is leaving - you can see he really wants to win this 3peat prem with his mates.

Cogger/Cleary - who said they couldn’t work? Looked like they been playing together for years. I think the full week of training helped their combo tremendously.

Congratulations on the minor premiership! 3 in 4 years with that other year being equal 1st on points (finished 2nd) - now go win that premiership!

snickers007

Juniors
Something I find incredible about our team is how seamlessly our players can change which side of the field they defend on, without it upsetting our defensive structures.

Start of the year, we had Tago playing left, Critta right.
During Origin we had Peach left, Tago right.
With injury we had Peach left, Critta right.
And last night, back to full-strength in the outside backs, it was Critta left, Tago right.

And our defence stays rock solid. The wingers trust the man inside.

Even our back rowers are versatile. We've had Garner, Martin, Sorenson and Hosking all play left side this year.

Hell, last night alone Hosking played left back row, then right back row, and then right center within his 30min stint.

Just on our back rowers, I thought Garner was very good defensively last night. Not as devastating at Martin, but made his tackles without fuss. In attack though I really didn't notice him (outside of that beautiful line for the no try). Was very surprised to see the stats say he outran Martin, and with a better PCM % as well.

It's been a tough year for Garner. He definitely missed the jump at the start of the season, and I don't think he's a bench player. But I'm not sure we should be giving up on him.

Abacus

Juniors
A few posters acknowledging the dark days of being a Panthers fan.
After the game last night I was showing my 9 year old what the Panthers results were (so what it was like as a fan) when I was his age noting only 13 teams in those days, with a top 5 for finals:

1984 7th (of 13),
1985 5th (of 13), winning the play-off match to get into the finals before being pumped by Parra
1986 8th (of 13),
1987 12th.

While we battled through the mid-80s, at the same age he's seen 2 premierships, 3 minor premierships, a losing GF and possibly another premiership this year. Add to that the increasingly massive crowds at each home game over the past few years - let's just say our early years of Panthers fandom were very different.

Iamback

Coach
I've seen enough minutes from him. The opposition team ALWAYS gets a huge roll on when Soni is on the field. Everyone just runs at him, gets good post contact metres and usually a fast PTB.

I was originally a fan. Saw the spark he gave our attack which is more than Kenny is capable of. Thought to myself with game time his attack will only get better and he will be our next 'quasi' Api.

But Api can defend. Soni just doesn't seem capable at NRL level. As much as I like free flowing attack and 'ferrari Footy' like the 03 Panthers and at times when we had strike like Lewis, Gordon, Jennings, Pritchard etc - but we are not that style of team. We are defense first. Any attacking flair is just cream on the top of our [grind] cake.

The thing with Soni is he does that dummy before going, Sommerton is much smoother that makes up for the less speed.

Once stage in the 1st half he dummied left and went right even fooled our side.

Kevvie left with egg on his face. Bleating in the media that Broncs have been best team all year, sorry Kevvie, no you're not, you came second.

It backfired big time on him, Ivan outsmarted him.
I think Kevvie outsmarted himself.

He put his journo hat on and believed the hype written by mostly know nothing journalists.

The Panthers lost to only one of the top four teams this year, the Broncos in round one by a point after a very short off season for most of our club.

Peaking at the right time of the season again unlike the Rabbitohs who peaked in June.

Put the faith in Ivan, I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing.

He put his journo hat on and believed the hype written by mostly know nothing journalists.

The Panthers lost to only one of the top four teams this year, the Broncos in round one by a point after a very short off season for most of our club.

Peaking at the right time of the season again unlike the Rabbitohs who peaked in June.

The Mitchell drama didn't help the Rabbitohs either

Iamback

Coach

If you go through our likely 17 for next week

Edwards - rested
To'o - rested
Tago - no niggles due to 6 weeks off
Crichton - missed games after Origin
Turuva - rested
Cogger - Had a few weeks of playing neither grade
Cleary - Had 6 weeks off
Fish - missed games during the season
Kenny - missed a month
Leota - missed games
Sorro - missed 3 weeks
Martin - missed a few weeks early in the year. Games post Origin
Yeo - missed games post origin.

We have been able to keep guys fresh without mass restings, As opposed to the Broncs who had a Round 25 bye. Still rested guys

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The thing with Soni is he does that dummy before going, Sommerton is much smoother that makes up for the less speed.

Once stage in the 1st half he dummied left and went right even fooled our side.
Sommo and Soni play two very different styles. The cowboys ruck defence last night was completely shot. A team with tighter defence around the ruck, will shut him down.
Sommo is basically another Mitch Kenny.

Soni is much more likely engage markers and soften up a middle. That’s what he’s good at.

MugaB

Coach
The Mitchell drama didn't help the Rabbitohs either
What mitchell drama? The normal speed he travels at as a fullback, or the attacking he got from journos coz they finally saw what we the public see most games he plays...
Problem isn't that its an issue Problem is that when we call it for what it is, the general outcry is poor widdle me, im being attacked for being indigenous etc

MugaB

Coach
If you go through our likely 17 for next week

Edwards - rested
To'o - rested
Tago - no niggles due to 6 weeks off
Crichton - missed games after Origin
Turuva - rested
Cogger - Had a few weeks of playing neither grade
Cleary - Had 6 weeks off
Fish - missed games during the season
Kenny - missed a month
Leota - missed games
Sorro - missed 3 weeks
Martin - missed a few weeks early in the year. Games post Origin
Yeo - missed games post origin.

We have been able to keep guys fresh without mass restings, As opposed to the Broncs who had a Round 25 bye. Still rested guys
And the bronx rested a few these past rounds, but yeah we are well ahead of them in the "rested" stakes, only need romey back on deck and kenny and sorro.... he needs to rest that rigg of his, its been a RIGorous year for the hunk
(Its fathers day... im allowed a few puns)

What mitchell drama? The normal speed he travels at as a fullback, or the attacking he got from journos coz they finally saw what we the public see most games he plays...
Problem isn't that its an issue Problem is that when we call it for what it is, the general outcry is poor widdle me, im being attacked for being indigenous etc
Exactly my point.

Iamback

Coach
And the bronx rested a few these past rounds, but yeah we are well ahead of them in the "rested" stakes, only need romey back on deck and kenny and sorro.... he needs to rest that rigg of his, its been a RIGorous year for the hunk
(Its fathers day... im allowed a few puns)

Sorro you can give less game time to, 50 mins from him 30 Hosking

Sommerton's injury meant Peachey got mins in as well.

So their lack of match fitness isn't a concern