What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v The Sharks

Abacus

Juniors
It was more a general comment... sort of like the cricket anaolgy... can be the worlds best nets batsman but that doesmt translate to game day..

Similar to what steve smith saod pre ashes this year.. said he felt like he was in better form than the 19 tour and playing the best he ever was and hitting them great....

In reality it was his worst ashes tour...

All sports are similar in that way.. can be doing things brilliant at training but the extra pressure game day brings with the added 20% increase in speed and intensity changes things.

Doesn't matter is its bball or league or cricket...

Game experience can not be replicated...

Whether there is anyone on here thats played nrl i doubt it... plenty would've played decent level sport tho
Seems a lot of words to say "no". No doubt we're all footy tragics and granted there's far less to complain about the past few years than previously, but at the end of the day we're all guessing.

My guess is that Luke is on the bench this year to get him used to the NRL environment, with increased minutes in 2024. FWIW, I don't think he'll be on our bench for the must-win games in the finals - but I'm guessing. Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd expect a bench of Leniu, Smith, Hosking & Peachey with Luke as 18th man.

So I agree with Luke that Soni is currently there for a reason. The 2023 GF is not that reason.

Girds89

Bench
Stupid cricket comparisons aside.

Why is Ivan using Soni the way he does.

Mate... definitely not stupid.. you hear coaches all the time talk about training the house down but results or form just isnt translating to game day.

A recent nrl example of this is tedesco. Robo came out publicly multiple times as did brandy during origin saying talking about this.

Well i dont know ivan... but my belief is that he doesnt have the confidence in soni right now... especially not in a tight game or pressure moment. Hence the reason he goes on for 10mins when the game is done.

I think thats a pretty fair assessment...

My concern and probs most on here is that if needed come the finals for 70mins due to a hia to Kenny is that soni hasnt been pushed at all this year... he hasnt come on in any pressure moments.... hes avg about 15-20mins a game...

As youve said... you think thats fine as hes filling the role he needs to right now and that he trains against the best team in the world every week to make up for the lack of game time...

My assessment of it all is that i think theres a high chance soni gets pulled come the finals for peachy as ivan has confidence in him and his more versatile...

Or...

Hes banking everything on luke not being required...

I think most importantly as ive said him getting more mins in games we are clearly going to win not only highly highly benefits his long term development but it also highly highly benefits his short term development in case his needed this year for a big stint... not only that it gives yeo and nathan time to gel with him in real game day experience...

The fact its not happening....especially in games that are done suggests the lack of confidence by coaches.

I think one thing ivan isnt known fir is his use of bench rotations. And just cause his a coach doesnt mean everything hes doing is perfect...

Put it this way... say kenny goes down in the opening 5 of a gf and luke has to play 75.... can you honestly tell me you or ivan wouldnt be more comfortable he could handle that if hed had a few 30 or 35 min stints throughout the year??

Anyway thats me out.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mate... definitely not stupid.. you hear coaches all the time talk about training the house down but results or form just isnt translating to game day.

A recent nrl example of this is tedesco. Robo came out publicly multiple times as did brandy during origin saying talking about this.

Well i dont know ivan... but my belief is that he doesnt have the confidence in soni right now... especially not in a tight game or pressure moment. Hence the reason he goes on for 10mins when the game is done.

I think thats a pretty fair assessment...

My concern and probs most on here is that if needed come the finals for 70mins due to a hia to Kenny is that soni hasnt been pushed at all this year... he hasnt come on in any pressure moments.... hes avg about 15-20mins a game...

As youve said... you think thats fine as hes filling the role he needs to right now and that he trains against the best team in the world every week to make up for the lack of game time...

My assessment of it all is that i think theres a high chance soni gets pulled come the finals for peachy as ivan has confidence in him and his more versatile...

Or...

Hes banking everything on luke not being required...

I think most importantly as ive said him getting more mins in games we are clearly going to win not only highly highly benefits his long term development but it also highly highly benefits his short term development in case his needed this year for a big stint... not only that it gives yeo and nathan time to gel with him in real game day experience...

The fact its not happening....especially in games that are done suggests the lack of confidence by coaches.

I think one thing ivan isnt known fir is his use of bench rotations. And just cause his a coach doesnt mean everything hes doing is perfect...

Put it this way... say kenny goes down in the opening 5 of a gf and luke has to play 75.... can you honestly tell me you or ivan wouldnt be more comfortable he could handle that if hed had a few 30 or 35 min stints throughout the year??

Anyway thats me out.

Your generalise cricket analogy kind of works for players who need to be full season match fit. But not really. You don’t see first class cricket sides changing their batting order, just to get there no.7 more time at the crease.

Taking minutes away from starting hooker when we are currently winning games isn’t smart.

You need to understand, that when we put Soni on, our whole attacking pattern shifts into a straighter more traditional pattern. Very similar to how how Melbourne or the Warriors play.

So for the sake of giving Soni extra game time, you are sacrificing our structure, that at the moment no one in the comp can compete with.

From what I’ve heard, Ivan is keen to keep Soni Luke on the bench, because he offers that point of difference, that no else in the club can. He’s currently not a week in week out big minutes player and that’s not going to change until the preseason. He is how ever capable of 80mins as a one off if he was required too.

Girds89

Bench
Your generalise cricket analogy kind of works for players who need to be full season match fit. But not really. You don’t see first class cricket sides changing their batting order, just to get there no.7 more time at the crease.

Taking minutes away from starting hooker when we are currently winning games isn’t smart.

You need to understand, that when we put Soni on, our whole attacking pattern shifts into a straighter more traditional pattern. Very similar to how how Melbourne or the Warriors play.

So for the sake of giving Soni extra game time, you are sacrificing our structure, that at the moment no one in the comp can compete with.

From what I’ve heard, Ivan is keen to keep Soni Luke on the bench, because he offers that point of difference, that no else in the club can. He’s currently not a week in week out big minutes player and that’s not going to change until the preseason. He is how ever capable of 80mins as a one off if he was required too.

Hahaha oh dear. Youve countered your own point your trying to make lol.

The cricket anology i used has nothing to do with moving the order.. its that training cant replicate thw challenges of actually being out there... you often hear players talk about nothing can replicate time out on the middle in cricket...

Its the same with footy.. a player gets 100 times more out of a really good match than they do a tough training hit out.

Mate youre not some supercoach haha.. ive talked all year about the changes soni brings to our attack.. i like that about him..

As you said he changes the structure when he comes on.. at times this year we have looked completely out of sync when hes come on... due to lack of gelling with nath and yeo...

So hows that go if kenny goes down next week or in a final?? A complete change of structure in a big game with stuff all practice through the year...

Im all for the slow development of soni...

But games we have in the bag should be used to get the different structure and combos happening... you never know when it might be needed

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hahaha oh dear. Youve countered your own point your trying to make lol.

The cricket anology i used has nothing to do with moving the order.. its that training cant replicate thw challenges of actually being out there... you often hear players talk about nothing can replicate time out on the middle in cricket...

Its the same with footy.. a player gets 100 times more out of a really good match than they do a tough training hit out.

Mate youre not some supercoach haha.. ive talked all year about the changes soni brings to our attack.. i like that about him..

As you said he changes the structure when he comes on.. at times this year we have looked completely out of sync when hes come on... due to lack of gelling with nath and yeo...

So hows that go if kenny goes down next week or in a final?? A complete change of structure in a big game with stuff all practice through the year...

Im all for the slow development of soni...

But games we have in the bag should be used to get the different structure and combos happening... you never know when it might be needed

You are suggesting that we “Change our batting order” to get Soni “More time at the crease”… are you not? In stupid cricket anolgies…

We wouldn’t even do that in Ron Massey cup, it’s not going to happen in the NRL, especially this close to the finals. It’s unnecessary and just won’t happen.

Girds89

Bench
You are suggesting that we “Change our batting order” to get Soni “More time at the crease”… are you not? In stupid cricket anolgies…

We wouldn’t even do that in Ron Massey cup, it’s not going to happen in the NRL, especially this close to the finals. It’s unnecessary and just won’t happen.

Hahaha.. no for the about 10th time... im suggesting you cant replicate game situations and the pressure of nrl footy with training... dont know where you got the changing the order from... ive literally said the same thing 10 times...

Keep dodging the hard questions tho mate. Duck and weave good enough to be in the ring with fury.

You said yourself he has a different style... to everyone its been obvious it hasnt clicked at times this year...

Youre happy with that as its a development thing and obviously happy to risk him having to play a gf or massive minutes in a final under those circumstances. I get it.

Just so you know.. i really rate soni.. i think his a great player.. but my confidence in him if he had to play 80 in a gf when he hasnt had much exposure this year... and when he has it hasnt clicked... well i wouldnt be overly confident.

Id love for him to get more mins for multiple reasons.. i think its great for his short and long term development... its great to get mins in the legs on the field not on the training paddock... its great for nath and yeo to gel with him... its great in case he is needed in a pressure cooker situation and isnt going in blind

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hahaha.. no for the about 10th time... im suggesting you cant replicate game situations and the pressure of nrl footy with training... dont know where you got the changing the order from... ive literally said the same thing 10 times...

Keep dodging the hard questions tho mate. Duck and weave good enough to be in the ring with fury.

You said yourself he has a different style... to everyone its been obvious it hasnt clicked at times this year...

Youre happy with that as its a development thing and obviously happy to risk him having to play a gf or massive minutes in a final under those circumstances. I get it.

Just so you know.. i really rate soni.. i think his a great player.. but my confidence in him if he had to play 80 in a gf when he hasnt had much exposure this year... and when he has it hasnt clicked... well i wouldnt be overly confident.

Id love for him to get more mins for multiple reasons.. i think its great for his short and long term development... its great to get mins in the legs on the field not on the training paddock... its great for nath and yeo to gel with him... its great in case he is needed in a pressure cooker situation and isnt going in blind
You want us to change our game plan in order to get Soni more game time? Yes or No. because you think it’s good for his long term development Yes or No.

Ivan and his staff strangely don’t agree with you….

Don’t stress about his development, he’s in very good hands and is thriving. Fittest, strongest and happiest I’ve ever seen him, by a long way.

Girds89

Bench
You want us to change our game plan in order to get Soni more game time? Yes or No. because you think it’s good for his long term development Yes or No.

Ivan and his staff strangely don’t agree with you….

Don’t stress about his development, he’s in very good hands and is thriving. Fittest, strongest and happiest I’ve ever seen him, by a long way.
Have you actually read any of my posts haha.. im not sure you have judging by that...

Ive said it 10 times and tried to be as simple as possible for you. I give up.

Enjoy the rest of the season..

Im glad soni is fit strong and happy! Thats great

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Have you actually read any of my posts haha.. im not sure you have judging by that...

Ive said it 10 times and tried to be as simple as possible for you. I give up.

Enjoy the rest of the season..

Im glad soni is fit strong and happy! Thats great
I’m convinced you actually don’t know what you’re saying.

Kilkenny

Coach
Luke Bowden is actually my best mate who works in cyber security. He warned me many years ago against putting your details on social media. I heeded his warning and used his.
Have you left the NSWP or service whatever name they go by now?

Shame if you have, I understand the lure of private enterprise, why would you stay in the public sector when the benefits in the private sector far exceed what you can earn working for the Government.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Have you left the NSWP or service whatever name they go by now?

Shame if you have, I understand the lure of private enterprise, why would you stay in the public sector when the benefits in the private sector far exceed what you can earn working for the Government.
I did leave mate, about 2 years ago and formed a company with a couple of mates which has gone gang busters.

Best decision ever. Financially but mostly it was a decision made for my own health and my family.

Kilkenny

Coach
I did leave mate, about 2 years ago and formed a company with a couple of mates which has gone gang busters.

Best decision ever. Financially but mostly it was a decision made for my own health and my family.
Well done. Hope you do well in the private sector. Very courageous to leave the security of the public sector. Fair play to you.

Given the anti Police, woke brigade our society endures these days, it is not difficult to understand why they can’t retain or recruit.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Well done. Hope you do well in the private sector. Very courageous to leave the security of the public sector. Fair play to you.

Given the anti Police, woke brigade our society endures these days, it is not difficult to understand why they can’t retain or recruit.
Yeah the Police force is not the job it was 10 years ago when I joined, it’s a real shame because it was a really rewarding job.

Cheers mate. It’s going incredibly well so far and is looking great into the future.

Kilkenny

Coach
Once upon a time it was a noble and respected occupation.

The far left have ensured not so much now, sadly.

There was widely publicised video in recent times which purported to demonstrate Police brutality. Albeit it was in the US, somewhere in Chicago I think from memory. The initial 15 second clip on face value was pretty damning, until you saw the the previous minute and a half where the poor cop was in a fight for his life. He won out in the end thankfully, but you wouldn’t have known it judging by the 15 second grab put out by the far left media initially.

Theres good and bad in every walk of life, just need a fair balance and our society is worse of by the current far left bias.