What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 - Knights vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 20th August 2pm @McDonald Jones Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to move onto the next one as a new week brings with it a new game. This week, we look forward to what is set to be an absolutely monumental clash that has massive ramifications for both teams. That's right, it's Round 25 and we have a trip up the M1 for a bit of Sunday arvo Footy against the Knights. As I said, massive game given where both sides sit, and come the end of the Season, this could well decide who makes the Finals and who doesn't. So, it's going to be one of those pressure cooker games with Finals-like intensity. You've gotta say, the pressure is certainly on us, especially playing them at home.

Honestly, we're in for one hell of a game if the recent form of Newcastle is anything to go by. Since losing a reasonably close one to Penrith many weeks ago, they've really found their mojo and found their groove to the point where they're now in red-hot form and look certain to play Finals. I'd even go as far as saying they're one of the form teams of the comp at the moment and if everything went well for them, on their day, they'd go close to beating anyone. They play a very tough, but also very expansive style of Footy that is hard to defend, we saw that yesterday in their first half onslaught against the Dogs. Up front, they've got a pretty good forward pack that can match it with anyone. Lead by the Saifiti brothers and Frizell, but backed up strongly by guys like Fitzgibbon, Elliot, and Thompson, they never really struggle for go-forward. In fact, that's probably been one of the keys to their recent success, that their forwards have really stepped it up and dominated games so we're in for a tough battle through the middle. Then of course, that id before you even start thinking about their backline, sheeesh, it's good when you look at it. Of course, the main man and the main threat is Ponga. He's in outstanding form at the moment but with a backline also including Young, Gagai and Best, you're really up against it. Their halves are also in good form. So, it seems everything is just clicking for them, and they'll come into this game seeing it as a huge opportunity.

I wish we could say the same and say things are clicking for us, but they certainly are not. Although we got a much-needed result on Saturday, it was far from convincing, and it was really not a good performance yet again. We're going to have to be so much better on Sunday, and I mean soooo much better, or I'm afraid Newcastle are going to absolutely clap us. They will bring what they bring, but we can't be worrying too much about the opposition when we don't have our own game in order. That's why this week, as cliche' as it is, the focus really has to be on us. I want to see the coaching staff and the squad really knuckle down and say, 'enough is enough.' Our poor form has been going on far too long and I'm sick of it. Where is the team we know we have? It's still in there somewhere and I hope we find it this week. I can't believe we're in this position, but it's really getting down to the do or die stages now and we really need to win these last two games. That should be all the motivation the boys need so I want to see the attitude spot on on Sunday. It was better over the weekend, but we're going to need even better than that if we are to prevail in this one. That's probably the biggest thing. Next on the agenda is the errors and execution. It's pretty simple really, we cannot complete at anything less than 80% this week and expect to win this game so it's really time to nail our execution. I'm not exactly confident we'll do that, but you never know. Our attack has really deserted us lately, so I'd love to find it again this week. Then of course, we need to see the defence on the improve. It was better against the Dragons but the Knights are a different beast and we'll need to step it up. A big positive is that we're a chance of having both Tatola and Sele back so that will really help.

The pressure is on and our backs are really against the wall but strangely, there's a part of me that still thinks we can do this. On potential, of course we can. On current form though, you'd have to say no. So, it's time to turn it around boys and turn it around fast. A win here makes a statement and has the potential to really change things. A loss could be catastrophic. Over to you lads, show us what you've got.

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 25 against the Knights,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. S.Mitchell
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Host/Cartwright
15. Duncan
16. Havili
17. Sele

Pretty much explains itself really. There's talk, and JD himself said, that Junes and Hame may be good to go this week. Therefore, if they're a chance, I expect to see them named. Tatola will come straight back into the starting side if he's fit, and I'd have Sele on the bench if he's fit because I don't see how you can take Shaq out of the starting line up. He was that good last week.

If these two return, it would hopefully mean we can play Jai in the back row again, thus strengthening that position and giving him a rest from the middle, and this would either push Hosty to the bench, or see him drop out and Jed come back in.

Otherwise, the backline, rest of the pack and the rest of the bench remain the same.

If we can name this or something close to it, it would be the strongest line up we've had in a long time, and one of the strongest we could name. Just missing Tommy B.

It's going to be an interesting team list Tuesday, I'm excited!

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 25 against Knights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-25-against-knights

A highly anticipated team list Tuesday is here baby!!!!

And I'm happy to report that we got the news we were all after, sort of. Junes and Hame have been named, but they're on the extended bench at this stage. However, I think that's a good sign at this stage because that tells us they're a real chance of playing. They wouldn't be named if they weren't a chance. Will obviously have to prove their fitness up to Sunday, but just the fact that they're named somewhere is huge. God, I really hope they're both good to go.

Otherwise, at this stage, the starting 13 is the same as the one that took the field last week. Can't really argue with that so I'm happy to see that. Cheeks comes onto the bench for Cartwright/Lovett, the rest of the bench is the same.

Of course, this all changes if Junior and Hame end up playing so it's going to be interesting to see what happens during the week.

For now, I'm happy with the side.

Sunday is too long to wait man! I want game day here right friggin now!

callmack1

Staff member
We also have a couple of significant milestones on Sunday to make the occasion even bigger,

It's Lachie's 50th game, and JD's 50th game as coach. The first real milestone for both of them so I hope we can make it one to remember.

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Round 25 Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/jason-demetriou-round-25-media

Loving JD's attitude ahead of a huge game tomorrow. Hopefully that attitude resonates with the whole team. Especially love hearing him talk about how at the moment, it's all talk, they've got to go and do it on the field.

He also said we're getting a couple back from injury, so I assume he'd be talking about Sele and Tatola. That's a HUGE boost!!

Gallery - Captain's Run Round 25 vs Knights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-captains-run-round-25-vs-knights

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs 19-Man Squad for Round 25 vs Knights: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-19-man-squad-for-round-25-vs-knights

1-17 officially at this stage, however, Tats and Hame are still in the reserves and JD confirmed in his Bunnies TV interview that they'll play. That's massive!!! Cheeks and Davvy played NSW Cup today, so they'll drop out.

In that case, I'd like to see Tatola start, jai to left edge and Host to the bench.

The passing of Kyle Turner has made the occasion tomorrow even bigger than it already was. Emotion will be running high and I hope the boys use that to their advantage. Go out there and do it for Kyle. For me, this will be a similar feeling, emotion wise, as the John Sattler game.

A nice touch from the club to wear black arm bands and retire the 15 jersey on the bench.

You'll be in our hearts tomorrow, Kyle.

callmack1

Staff member
"What defines us is how well we rise after falling."

Well, today is going to define us one way or another. That's right, rise and shine all my fellow South Sydney members and fans! Get up, get moving, get your colours on as we get set for a huge day. Game day is here!! A defining game day in our Season as we take on the Knights up there in Newcastle. A monumental clash this afternoon, you don't need me to tell you how big this is for both teams. Whoever wins basically books their finals spot, the loser is back in scramble mode again. It's basically a Finals game come early. So much riding on it. I think the quote I used earlier is perfect for today. We have fallen, but today is an opportunity to rise. An opportunity to rise up, overcome some huge challenges and announce to the rest of the competition that we're still here. The opportunity is there, it's up to the boys to take it today.

For the Knights, this is just as big of a game for them as it is for us. They have a sellout home crowd for the first time in a long time and I've heard some people calling this their biggest game in a number of years too. Therefore, you can almost bet your bottom dollar that they're going to be up for this today and we're going to face one hell of a challenge. Newcastle are absolutely flying right now. They had close, competitive games against Penrith and the Broncos earlier on in the year, and now they've gone on this massive run of winning six in a row to become one of the form teams of the comp. Honestly, they're red-hot right now. Just about everything they're doing is quality. With the side that they've got, it's not hard to see why. They have a very underrated forward pack that lays the platform and can get one over any side on their day. That's lead by the Saifiti twins and Frizell, but is backed up strongly by guys like Thompson, Elliot and Fitzgibbon. The key to winning today is probably that middle battle. I've watched the Knights a bit in recent weeks, and all those wins have been built on killing it through the middle and dominating there which allows all their strike weapons to come into play. There's a strike weapon in just about every member of their backline. Best, Marzhew, Young, Gagai; that's one hell of a backline. Then of course, you have the number one threat, the spearhead of their side and one of the biggest reasons why they're going so well right now, Kayln Ponga. We all know what he brings, it's stopping it which is the problem. We need to shut him down. Honestly, this Knights side is going to be very tough to beat, they're in that good of form at the moment.

They are going to be very tough to beat but you know what? We can do it. This Souths side is more than capable of doing it. In fact, we're more than capable of beating anyone in this comp if we're on. But that's the thing, we haven't been on for weeks and weeks now. That must change today. It absolutely must. If we're going to make anything of this year, it has to come today. We have to rise up, get back to the team we know we can be, and make a statement. I really feel like today we say, 'enough is enough.' I'm sick of the way we've been going and I'm sure all the players are too. Honestly, I really feel like we can do this today. It's going to be easier said than done but we can do it, we've just got to click. We've got to get our game right. The biggest thing to sort out right now is the errors. If we complete at under 80% today, we lose I think, it's as simple as that. Complete, and we're in the game. This means our attack is going to have to be a lot better. The execution has been off lately, and I don't know why, but if we can fix that, we have the attack to do it. Our defence took some steps in the right direction recently, but I want to see that grow even more against a much tougher opponent today. I want to see us get back to defending like we know we can with a ruthless attitude and desperation. if we execute, scoring points is not the problem, defending them is. So stand up there boys!! I've said it so much this year but if we get our game right, we win, it's as simple as that. I feel like that is the case again today. It hasn't happened for a while now, but we need to really make it happen today.

Just a huge occasion. It's going to be an emotionally charged day for the club today too with the news of Kyle Turner's passing yesterday. That has got to be at the back of the boys' minds. For me, already, the emotion of the day is similar to the John Sattler game back in Round 4. Today, we play for Big Dog, today, we pay tribute to him. Let's use that emotion to drive us today and put on a performance that he would be proud of.

Not only that, but it's Lachie's 50th NRL game, and JD's 50th as coach. Their first real significant milestones so let's go do it for them too.

Ughhhh my blood is boiling for this already. I'm extremely pumped, extremely nervous, but I can't wait! I really feel like we can do this today lads, ken oath we can do it!!!! Stand up, rise up. Your time is now!

"What defines us is how well we rise after falling."

Glory, Glory.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I expect the Knights to play this VERY physical, and nullify out threat out wide by rushing up, and big line speed.
Hope the ref is gonna call offsides, and holding down in the ruck, fairly and squarely.

Steenson123

Juniors
What happened to K. Turner?
Is his death related to the egregious tackle on him by Gallen in that trial game years ago? The guy was only 31 for Cruyff's sake!!
Do any of you know what occurred?
We all know he required prosthetic neck surgery and his injury was extremely serious.

Steenson123

Juniors
The henny P
I expect the Knights to play this VERY physical, and nullify out threat out wide by rushing up, and big line speed.
Hope the ref is gonna call offsides, and holding down in the ruck, fairly and squarely.
The Henny Penny Knights are due for a Banana Skin.
Thye have won 6 straight and are due to hit the wall.
Plus they have Cronulla next game, another crucial home game, so they will have an eye on that game too.
If SSFC play with some INTENSITY they will get the V they badly need. Play desperate as they did a 6 weeks ago at the Warriors against the odds.