What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 - Knights vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 20th August 2pm @McDonald Jones Stadium

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
- Koloamatangi has been garbage for more than a month.
- Host offers less than zero, in fact it is minus because he not only offers nothing, but gets in the way of any ball shifts to the left.
- Tatola is very poor
- Probably the worst game of the year for Campbell Graham, missed tackles for tries, is about half pace of where he should be
- Ilias just ain't up to the standard.
- Milne needs to be shifted to the forwards. At least he has a go, but is too slow out wide - 2 open breaks, if that was Munro, it was 2 tries. But they could use his mobility in the middle, if he is up to the defensive workload.

truthslayer

Juniors
WELL another dismal weekend , beaten by a better side. I know it’s not right to blame the referee but what I saw today was disgraceful, forward passes and a try assist to the ref. HOWEVER we are our own worst enemy’s. THE forwards no impact KOOLAMATANGI needs to sharpen up and run harder and straighter, HOST is not up to it and missed tackles as usual, LATRELL good player but not fit enough, and ILIAS ENOUGH is enough. THIS leads me to the coach no guts to play Munro instead of Milne, no guts to realize the half back position has not worked, no guts to tell LATRELL to get fitter. Graham defence was ordinary, walker a good front runner like LATRELL, COACH you have missed a lot of chances to mould the side, sharpen up the defence and cut out the stupid play, that’s your department.

Pauly1

Juniors
Koloamatangi runs like a pussy for a guy his size, stops at the line so that he doesn't mess up his hair or get injured.
Time to get rid of Mitchell, waste of salary cap money, does f**k all in the full back position as he is always out of position, play him in centres or show him thee door.
JD your time is up, should have signed Sam B for next year.

Nafedogg

Juniors
Time for some hard truths to most of these players. I don’t honestly know where we go from here, we sure as hell can’t get any worse. Boys had 1 goal today, and as much as the refereeing was crap, we were our own worst enemy once again.

Eric the great

Juniors
Is Jd overwhelmed by his two big stars latrell and Cody they seem to get away with what they want latrell had Luke homes fever and Cody went back to old arguing cody

Nafedogg

Juniors
I think the team needs a reality check, we have Tallis Duncan who has played 6 games showing more heart. Also we need to rethink the travelling circus next season and focus on home games, look at the benefit Broncos have this year with leaving Brisbane a few times.

Steenson123

Juniors
Its what i
Is Jd overwhelmed by his two big stars latrell and Cody they seem to get away with what they want latrell had Luke homes fever and Cody went back to old arguing codyI Its what I have said for months: Demetriou is in over his scone. Demetriou runs the side defacto: these headline players actually control it and Mitchell in particular has taken the club for a spin. Gets to promote his brands and cultural concerns first, then the side second. The side plays erratically and with continual errors. That all starts with THE COACH.

Steenson123

Juniors
Demetriou should be retrenched. Yes the playing squad is not all that great however the constant errors and lazy Defense indicate the Coach has no respect. The key players run the show and its to the detriment of the football side as a whole.

Steenson123

Juniors
Koloamatangi runs like a pussy for a guy his size, stops at the line so that he doesn't mess up his hair or get injured.
Time to get rid of Mitchell, waste of salary cap money, does f**k all in the full back position as he is always out of position, play him in centres or show him thee door.
JD your time is up, should have signed Sam B for next year.
Total agreement. Demetriou should have been sacked mid-season and replaced by Burgess or Morris. One could see the collapse months ago. How do these players pay any heed to Demetriou in the future when he engineered a total collapse this season??

Nafedogg

Juniors
I feel we all judge Lachie harshly, he was pretty good last year…this year not so good, but is it a case of us needing a better halves coach? Surely whoever is doing the job at the moment could be better and help with his kicking game etc? Dropping him isn’t going to help, but maybe a better halves coach could help him.

Eric the great

Juniors
Lachie hasn’t got any better or hasn’t got any worse he’s stayed the same same mistakes kicking out on the full and that’s where his problem is he doesn’t improve he wasn’t the problem tonight our so called stars haven’t lived up to there pay package the window has slammed shut our coach and the stars talk a big game but dish up crap

Eric the great

Juniors
You know what really sh-ts me is sutto walked out with the number 15 jumper in memory of one of our hero’s who gave his all sutto was shattered this jumper belonged to a player when carrying a neck injury gave his all and then our modern day stars let it all go to the back burner

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think the team needs a reality check, we have Tallis Duncan who has played 6 games showing more heart. Also we need to rethink the travelling circus next season and focus on home games, look at the benefit Broncos have this year with leaving Brisbane a few times.
Yep I've been saying this, too. Totally agree

callmack1

Staff member
I've had a bit of a breakdown tonight after the game. The last 14 weeks of frustration and anger just all boiled up and came to a head tonight and I lost my shit. Not really proud of that, it's not usually like me but I just couldn't hold it in anymore and I guess that shows you how our Season has gone. Have calmed down a bit now but that's not to say I feel any better.

What a shit performance. Once again, everything to play for, Season on the line, and we turn up like that. Started really well for the first five minutes and I was thinking we were going to click but from the minute the Shaq obstruction happened, it just capitulated once again. So friggin bad, this is the worst I have seen Souths perform in a long time. Yea, we can blame some ref decisions, but that's not the reason we lost. It's all on our boys. Useless. Not going to go into it in too much detail tonight, my head is all over the place and I just want to go to bed, I'll get into it tomorrow. The boys don't deserve my time tonight.

It just gives me the shits that on such an emotional day for the club, we should be putting in a big performance for Kyle, but they turn up like that? Disgraceful. Utter disgrace.

Every single player should hang their heads in shame but especially Latrell, Cody and Keaon. Just disgusting.

Our Season is now nearly gone, and I have lost all hope. More fool me for being very optimistic about this game and thinking we'd finally click. More fool me.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs walk Finals tightrope after defeat in Newcastle: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-walk-finals-tightrope-after-defeat-in-newcastle

Press Conference - Round 25: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/press-conference-rabbitohs-round-25-2023

More concerning comments from JD. Honestly, he's starting to lose me.

'I'll go with Wayne' - Demetriou's nod to former mentor as Bunker's bizarre referee call questioned: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/530d1dda29fae4f316730093032d104d

Huge Ponga question raised, Latrell's 'frustration' as Souths' Season 'slipping away' - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/35af24bd86f67c51bc60d112d3376c1b

NRL powerbrokers set to review Knights' eighth tackle try in win over Rabbitohs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/33516129cd2ec9b4e7c7dfc9c635d4f3

'It's just silly' - The Latrell brainfade that could cost Souths their Season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/1775c89d900ecb05ec7b71c82a288751

handyman2190

Bench
I've had a bit of a breakdown tonight after the game. The last 14 weeks of frustration and anger just all boiled up and came to a head tonight and I lost my shit. Not really proud of that, it's not usually like me but I just couldn't hold it in anymore and I guess that shows you how our Season has gone. Have calmed down a bit now but that's not to say I feel any better.

What a shit performance. Once again, everything to play for, Season on the line, and we turn up like that. Started really well for the first five minutes and I was thinking we were going to click but from the minute the Shaq obstruction happened, it just capitulated once again. So friggin bad, this is the worst I have seen Souths perform in a long time. Yea, we can blame some ref decisions, but that's not the reason we lost. It's all on our boys. Useless. Not going to go into it in too much detail tonight, my head is all over the place and I just want to go to bed, I'll get into it tomorrow. The boys don't deserve my time tonight.

It just gives me the shits that on such an emotional day for the club, we should be putting in a big performance for Kyle, but they turn up like that? Disgraceful. Utter disgrace.

Every single player should hang their heads in shame but especially Latrell, Cody and Keaon. Just disgusting.

Our Season is now nearly gone, and I have lost all hope. More fool me for being very optimistic about this game and thinking we'd finally click. More fool me.
I lost it too bro,your not alone, but if you analise it a little, our forwards are not laying the platform, no burgess,junior has been in and out all year,i suspect he isnt fit, sele even though he has played more games this year,he too has been in and out and probably not as fit as he could be,and def not worth 500k, knight gone,1 of the rotation, host isnt a top liner and really should be a bench player, so our forwards have been decimated all year the go forward and no grit has become apparent, instead of buying a couple of forwards weve spent it all on wighton,who now seems to regret his decision, ive said it mNy times your all sick of hearing it, weve sat still and let many teams pass us by,the riff who are on their way to 3 buy every year,even though they lose 1 or 2 weve let our pack deteriorate, then latrell barely plays half a season, players need to play to get in form not sit on their arses.

handyman2190

Bench
I know this, we need forwards, cheekam is a reserve grader and getting on,thomas has 1 year left, 2 props have gone, host is a backup not a first grader, even though our nsw cup side is going good,fafita is probably the only large body there, who steps up? Milne is also a backup and should not be on the wing,he is slow and his positional play is crap, taafe who was being groomed as codys replacement has been let go,a mistake!! i see us sliding down the ladder

callmack1

Staff member
For the second time in three weeks, I can't believe I forced myself to sit there and watch that game again. Torture. Absolute torture and I don't know why I do it. I think it's my way of finding out what I 'really' thought of the game, removing reaction and emotion. In a way, it kind of helps me process what has just happened. Nevertheless, that sucked watching that again.

This will be a bit of a different report today, not too much good to say, but I really feel like I need to vent and get it off my chest.

Attack

Awful. Just plain awful. What the hell has happened? We were one of the most potent attacking sides in the comp earlier in the year, and now we struggle to even score a f**king try?!! It's a joke, an absolute joke. The wheels have well and truly fallen off. Yesterday, we lacked any sort of composure, timing and fluidity in attack. None whatsoever. In fact, I know we scored two tries, but aside from that, we failed to fire a shot against Newcastle. Credit to their defence for sure, but when you struggle to score points against Newcastle, it shows you how far we have fallen.

Just a rabble, simple as that. it's the best way to put it. Really awful and really tough to watch. You've got passes going to ground, wrong options being taken, mistimed runs, mistimed passes, no punch or direction at all. Getting done for silly obstructions twice is just plain shit.

Our spine, or maybe we should start calling them the spineless, were not connecting at all. The boys looked like they'd never even f**king played with each other. It was so out of sync.

Once again, f**king errors cruelled us too. The talk all week was execution, errors, completion rate etc, etc, but somehow, we come out and probably do even worse in that area. What the actual f**k? It's awful. Killed any sort of chance we had. It was so bad; I think our completion rate was under 60% at halftime. That is simply not up to NRL standard. Why is it still such a problem when ball handling has been a problem for 10 weeks now? I've lost all faith they'll fix it or that we'll click, it isn't happening.

Once again too, we played a flawed game plan. How the f**k can JD and the senior players not see that our conservative style is not f**king working anymore?! It gives me the shits. If we were making great meters through the middle, then fine, but the fact of the matter is, we weren't. We've become such a predictable and boring side.

Defence

Just to keep up with our average of conceding 27 points a game since Round 11, we go and concede 29 to the Knights. Jeez. It's embarrassing.

All year I've been saying it's an attitude thing and that our structures are there. Well, when you concede some of the tries we did yesterday, I think it's safe to say we no longer have the structure. Take the Knights first try for example. That's no individual player's fault, it was the entire right edge system as a whole. The Knights are shifting and no one has any thought, effort, or communication to even think about sliding. No, they all just hold their position and remain stagnant, allowing the ball to wiz past them. Go watch it, it starts with Jai and Keaon on the inside, if they make an effort to push hard from the inside and slide as soon as the wide pass goes to Ponga, so the guys outside them can slide too, that try probably doesn't get scored. But no, nothing happened.

We've become a weak team through the middle. Again, yesterday, we got calved up. No line speed, we wait for them to come to us. Yea, like that's going to f**king work. For God sake boys!!

I don't want to talk about our defence any longer or I'm gonna explode.

Player By Player

L.Mitchell: Beyond disappointed with his performance yesterday. Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it. For nearly four years now, I've absolutely loved Trell. Adored him, stuck up for him and supported him through everything. He's been one of my favourites and despite yesterday, probably still is. However, I cannot defend him for the way he played yesterday. Honestly, it was a real turning point for me and I'm starting to see what a lot of people have said for years now. He was bordering on just taking the piss yesterday. Yea, his involvement in the game was higher, for sure. He took a few really strong runs and stuff, especially in the first half but that is not enough when you're supposed to be an absolute superstar. Firstly, a lot of his kick returns were weak. Instead of just running straight and hard into the defensive line, Trell looked for the easy option and either ran sideways trying to beat a tackle or passed it off to his winger for them to do the work. Rarely did he get our set started off the way it should be started. Even Taaffe shows more effort and desire on his kick returns. The rest of his game was piss poor. He made almost zero real impact in attack, failed to create any chances whatsoever for anyone, and just didn't look that interested in involving himself in our good-ball attack as often as he should. That's not to mention the three errors he made. All of them were a result of not caring, having no attention to detail, and just being way too casual. He tried to catch the ball with one hand all three times. What happened to using both hands Trell? Way too casual. Two of these errors directly gifted the Knights tries and I just can't forgive that. Then there was the missed goal from right in front. Unforgivable and shows where his head was at. Then to laugh about if afterwards? My God. This is all without even mentioning his incident in the last minute that he will now be suspended for. I love Latrell but you cannot defend him after that and yesterday was the turning point. He can bugger off if that's how he wants to turn up. He's on a million a Season and what has he done? Sweet stuff all really. he's unfit, lazy, and far too casual. I'm getting over him and it will take either a big Finals series (unlikely), or a big 2024 to turn my feelings around.

Johnston: Not an awful lot to say about AJ but he wasn't bad. No real opportunities in attack but he did his job in other areas. His hit ups were solid, he got through plenty of work, he was safe defusing kicks, and despite getting caught out a couple of times, wasn't too bad in defence.

Tass: To be honest, I'd kind of rinse and repeat what I just said about AJ for Tassy. He wasn't bad.

Graham: Love the bloke and hats off to him for playing tough. Honestly, that's a huge effort. However, let's not sugar coat it - that was probably his worst performance of his NRL career. His runs coming out of our end were really good. Really, really good, but that was about the only positive. His defence was terrible, especially in that first half. Newcastle's first try wasn't just his fault, as the whole edge as one failed to slide, but he was directly responsible for the Knights second try. Pretty poor effort on Ponga who made him look like a reserve grader and just went straight past him. Minutes later, Ponga makes another break. Again, this is Stretch's fault in my opinion as he was too passive and this time, Ponga burnt him on the outside. Disappointing. Stretch got picked apart again by Ponga for the Knights' third try. This time, it's a poor read from him as he comes up too far past the ball when Fitzgibbon is tackled, this allows Ponga to take the offload and with no one in front of him at all, he goes straight through. Not really good enough from Campbell, he certainly dropped his standards, I think even he'd admit that. Can't be too harsh on him, he's busted, and I have no doubt that injury is playing its part.

Milne: Wasn't great without being really poor. I think he was pretty good with the ball; his hit ups were really strong as he made a massive 158 meters from 14 runs. However, he lacked the pace to finish off the play about three times which was really frustrating. I think we missed out on at least two certain tries due to his lack of speed. Defensively, I don't think he did a lot wrong personally. Yea, we got caught out a lot down his side, but a lot of that wasn't Taane's fault at all, he was simply reacting to his inside defenders.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Another so-called 'superstar' who I'm absolutely fuming with after that game. It's the kind of game he should be stepping up in and leading the way, but what did he actually do? Not much. In fact, I struggled to see any real meaningful contributions he made apart from a couple of nice passes and that great play he did right before half time which could have led to a try. Aside from that, he was almost a passenger. Solid defence, yea, but we pay him big bucks to create in attack and he failed to spark anyone all game. Watched the match with some family yesterday and Mum said, "is it just me, or did I hardly hear Cody's name called at all?" That tells you all you need to know. It's not good enough. He should be going to the next level after Origin but hasn't played well since Round 18 and is possibly in career-worst form right now. Sort it out Cody.

Ilias: Another game, and another pretty average performance from our halfback. Yea, he's young, yea he's still learning, but I am growing tired of defending him every week. Not gonna sugarcoat it anymore. Truth is, Lachy is not improving at all and that's a concern 50 games in. Again, yesterday, his kicking game was really average. he kind of un-did our good start with a poor kick which came down in the in-goal, the rest of his kicks were ineffective and that kick out on the full was just awful. Terrible. Right idea but he just got the execution so wrong. His play in attack wasn't anything special either, created zero chances for anyone all game. Defensively, he was okay though as an individual but that's always the case with Lachy. His D id first class for a halfback, it's everything else which isn't improving. I'm not going to absolutely crucify him or call for him to be dropped like others are though. I mean, if Trell and Cody pull their finger out and play well, Lachy probably has a better game too. Lachy isn't THE problem, but he is A problem. I'm not seeing much improvement and I am starting to doubt him.

Arrow: Barely noticed him and I watched the game twice, so that's a pretty disappointing effort by his standards. Just 7 runs for 59 meters. That's not good enough. Don't know why JD played him for such short minutes either, that's just stupid.

Cook: One of the few players yesterday who can actually hold their head up high. he was our best player, there's no doubt about that. One of his better games this Season to be honest. Plenty of dummy half runs, constantly had a dart at any chance he saw and constantly challenged the markers. That is what we want to see from Cooky. I thought he was pretty unlucky to not get a few six-again's. Created our only real chance very late in the second half with that great bit of play when he ran, then combined with Cody. Great try that he scored early in the second half, that was awesome from him to identify that Gamble had eyes for Lachy, so he just rand and powered his way over from the scrum. Great vision, deception and acceleration. His service was good all game and he was his usual, outstanding self in defence through the middle of the field with 48 tackles, 2 missed and 2 ineffective. Hold your head high Cooky, our man of the match. It's a shame others around you let you down.

S.Mitchell: Wasn't bad but certainly didn't have the impact he had in the Dragons game. His first stint wasn't great, he struggled a bit, came back on and still only managed a couple of runs so not really sure what happened there. How good was it to see him get his first NRL try though?!!! That was a silver lining on a pretty dark day. Great line run and a great show of determination with defenders hanging off him. Congrats Shaq.

Koloamatangi: Why bother even talking about him? Seriously. This guy has been taking the absolute piss since Origin, and it was the same yesterday. Lazy and piss weak. Needs to be dropped to be honest. 6 runs for 51 meters when you are supposedly one of the best second rowers in the NRL? That's an absolute joke Keaon. Lost count of the number of times I saw him jogging in back play, showing no effort whatsoever. had a terrible end to the Season and that's all on him.

Host: Went okay. I'd say he did his job, but that's about it. No real impact on the game, didn't offer much out there. Only 8 runs for 76 meters.

Murray: Cam tried hard and gave his absolute all as he always does but he really didn't have the greatest of days. he looks knackered, nowhere near as effective as he was earlier in the year. You could see how tired he was out there. It's a worry. However, you do have to commend him for his effort. He really busted his arse out there and I wish more players had his effort and desire right now. Great ball playing to put Shaq over for a try, and as always, he got through plenty of work through the middle with 49 tackles. He did miss 7 though. That miss on Marzhew when he made that clean break off a tap in the second half was inexcusable. But I feel for him man. He tries so hard. You could see how shattered he was in the press conference.

Duncan: Can hold his head high for his performance yesterday too. Came on pretty early and gave a good account of himself. He provided a bit of energy, a bit of spark and toughness that we'd been lacking. his carries were solid and I did enjoy seeing him get a bit fiery. That was good to see.

Tatola: Didn't play big minutes but I think he was pretty good on return. You could certainly feel his influence when he was out there and I think we lifted a little through the middle while he was on. Got some good go-forward with 8 runs for 77 meters. Probably could have done more if I'm being critical, but he did play limited minutes. Hopefully he can build of this and explode in Round 27.

Havili: One of his worst performances of the year. Normally he does so much for us off the bench and provides a bit of punch, but I barely noticed him to be honest.

Sele: Another player who can be proud of his individual performance. I thought he showed a lot of our forwards how it's done. Ran with a lot of aggression and purpose which we were lacking and fought for every meter post contact. 11 carries for 94 meters is a good effort in limited minutes.

What the f**k has happened?! Seriously. What the actual f**k. Would this be one of the biggest collapses of an NRL team in history in terms of our potential and where we were 11 Rounds in? Certainly, the biggest collapse I've seen from a Souths side for a long time. How the f**k are we in a position where we need to win our last game just to make the Finals? I can't believe it, I just cannot get my head around it.

Absolutely gives me the shits that we turn up like that yesterday, knowing what was on the line, knowing it was a must-win and knowing that we were dedicating the game to Kyle Turner. I thought it would be an emotionally charged performance, but it was anything but. Gives me the shits.

I'm done with this team and I'm done with 2023. Still had optimism and hope but that has all been erased now. More fool me for thinking things would click and turnaround for weeks on end. The boys simply don't have the desire and they don't want it anymore.

Everyone involved with the club should hang their heads in shame. Disgusting performance yesterday. A disgrace to the jersey.