What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Souths

RufusRex

Post Whore
I have expressed my concerns about choosing a rookie fullback with a number of issues to be addressed in his game even though he has obvious potential. Up until last week I was not particularly impressed with his play but, last week I thought was his best game by a mile and showed glimpses of what he may be able to produce ongoing.

I still believe he has a number of areas to work on but was really happy to see him not crowding his outside players as much and when he did was willing to switch with the winger. I would like to see him trailing the forwards more and in defence would like to see him moving across field a little bit further out from the try line and closer to the ball.

If he keeps improving the gamble will payoff and I couldn't be happier. However, I still don't like the fact we invested heavily in our halves and hooker and then risked success by using an unproven in first grade fullback. My gripe isn't with Dufty or his potential, its with what I consider to have been an unprofessional decision.

This game against souths and how he handles Inglis, Johnston and Gagai etc will be a good test and show how he is progessing.

I guess the decision makers thought with Nighty/Mann on the books even Widdop we had options at 1 if Dufty failed. Salary cap means that if you invest heavily in some spots you have to throw the dice in others.

getsmarty

Immortal
preview-pics_dragons-v-rabbitohs_r5.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Rabbitohs: Round 5 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 3 Apr 2018, 10:01 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are flying high right now with seemingly no end to their winning start to the season but are the South Sydney Rabbitohs the team to buck that trend?

On the back of the form shown by stellar halves pairing Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt, the Dragons have enjoyed a dream start to 2018. As their forwards also continue to fire, is there any team that can hand the Red V their first loss of the season?

The Rabbitohs received a confidence boost after they came from behind to defeat the Canterbury Bulldogs on Good Friday. They will be sweating on Sam Burgess beating his dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary this week, however.

St George Illawarra Dragons v South Sydney Rabbitohs, 7.50pm Friday at Jubilee Oval

Head-to-head: Played 28, Dragons 16 wins, Rabbitohs 12 wins

Matches at venue: Played 3; Dragons 2 wins; Rabbitohs 1 win

2017 results: Rabbitohs won 26-24 at the SCG in round 22

Points per game: Dragons 34.5; Rabbitohs 22

Points conceded per game: Dragons 12; Rabbitohs 18

Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/03...ons-v-south-sydney-rabbitohs-round-5-preview/

Frank Facer

First Grade
Neither should be picked ... Host 12/Sims 16 ;-)
I was one who was saying that we were better off with Simms as part of our prop rotation and that I thought he was better suited to the middle than as an edge forward. I have to say that I am now very happy with Simms as one of our edge forwards. We have a very tough pack now. I like it. It is looking like the best pack in the comp and one of the toughest too.

Leilua, Host or Ford are going to have to play very well to take Simms's spot off him and force him back to the bench as one of our props.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree ... Sims is playing very well ...

I think the drop from AhMau to Latimore/Sele is huge compared to the drop between Host/Sims ... Actually I really rate Host so it may not be much of a drop at all.

Sims is playing well though and that makes it hard for Host.
Sims is the Mongrel we have been lacking for a while , someone that will go Ape Sh*t when needed ....

getsmarty

Immortal
teamlist_round5_newstile.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL team: Round 5 v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 3 Apr 2018, 04:01 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad to face the South Sydney Rabbitohs on April 6 at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

The Dragons will kick-off at 7:50pm against the Rabbitohs, with gates to open at 6:45pm in what will be a huge night for winger Jason Nightingale as he celebrates his 250th NRL game.

The remaining player from the Dragons' 2010 NRL Telstra Premiership victory, Nightingale will be honoured with a commemorative number on his playing jersey, with the number available to be purchased at the Dragons team store or online.

The Renown United junior has spent the entirety of his NRL career wearing the Red V jumper and will get to celebrate the huge milestone close to home at Jubilee Oval.

We encourage all Dragons members and fans to celebrate Nightingale's latest achievement on social media using the hashtag #Gypsy250.

Otherwise, coach McGregor has named a completely unchanged 21-man squad following last weekend's 30-12 Alex McKinnon Cup victory over the Newcastle Knights in Wollongong.

This will be the first time the Dragons will take on South Sydney in Kogarah since 2012.

NRL squad for Round 5 v South Sydney Rabbitohs:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Destination Wollongong
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by Westfund
17. Hame Sele – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Jeremy Latimore
19. Zac Lomax
20. Jacob Host
21. Blake Lawrie

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/03/nrl-team-round-5-v-south-sydney-rabbitohs/

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_isp_dragons_round_4_knights_jai_field.jpg

TEAM LISTS

ISP team: Round 5 v Newtown Jets
Author
Timestamp
Tue 3 Apr 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his Round 5 team to play against the Newtown Jets on Saturday, April 7 at Henson Park.

The game will commence at 3pm as the ISP Dragons look to make it three wins in a row following victories over the North Sydney Bears and Newcastle Knights.

The ISP Dragons earned their first win of the season last weekend following their 22-4 victory over North Sydney.

Reuben Garrick will return from suspension in the centres against the Newtown Jets in place of Matheson Johns.

ISP team for Round 5 v Newtown Jets:

1. Jai Field
2. John Tohi
3. Patrick Herbert
4. Reuben Garrick
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Adam Clune
7. Darren Nicholls
8. Mitchell Allgood
9. Reece Robson
10. Josh Kerr
11. Jacob Host
12. Jackson Ford
13. Blake Lawrie

Interchange:
14. Joe Lovodua
15. James Hasson
16. Ashley Nisbet
17. TJ Uele

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/03/isp-team-round-5-v-newtown-jets/

getsmarty

Immortal
TEAM LISTS

Jersey Flegg team: Round 5 v Sharks
Author
Timestamp
Tue 3 Apr 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play against the Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks at Southern Cross Group Stadium on Friday, April 6.

The game will kick-off at 3:35pm and will be the precursor to the Sharks' Round 5 NRL clash against the Sydney Roosters at 6pm.

Matheson Johns's return from the Dragons' Intrust Super Premiership side has seen Shaun Sauni-Esau (wing), Hayden Lomax (hooker), Luke Gale (lock), Dante Lusio and Jack Cross (both interchange) all reshuffled in Collins's side.

Jersey Flegg team for Round 5 v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

1. Jason Gillard
2. Sam McCann
3. Steve Marsters
4. Matheson Johns
5. Shaun Sauni-Esau
6. Tristan Sailor
7. Jackson Willis
8. Josh Dowel
9. Hayden Lomax
10. Juvilee Samiu
11. Trent Peoples
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Luke Gale

Interchange:
14. Dante Lusio
15. Bailey Dickinson
16. Tom Angel
17. Matthew Delbanco
18. Jack Cross
20. Dylan Morris

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/03/jersey-flegg-team-round-5-v-sharks/

dragonssamy61

First Grade
DS61 agree with you.
The other point is that with alternating (and i really hope thats what it is) it would keep Sele match fit rather that 10 mins here and there. This may prove crucial later in the season or if injuries come about.

You would hope so.
Expecially with soo and england v nz coming up

FlameThrower

Bench
Hoping for a bumper crowd at Kogarah! We are on a roll and Souths are well supported- so no excuse - if we can’t get a packed house - I will be disappointed.
I’ll be there - go the Dragons!!

Carlton

Juniors
If I didn't know better, I'd say that dufty might be starting to win you over.

Hopefully he has a cracking game on Friday and has you aboard the dufty train. :)

I was never against Dufty, I was against the hype that was being thrown his way when there were still very obvious and significant problems with his game. The other thing I was not happy with was the gamble on "potential" in the spine when we have so much spent in the halves. My argument was and still is don't risk it.

I think Dufty has potential and I have said this often but I dont believe the things he needs to improve on should be ignored because he has "potential". What I am happy about is that he is showing improvement in a number of areas but still needs to improve others.

I know Dufty was cheap but if we don't have money still available then there is a different problem. Especially when Millward has said on a number of occasions they are looking for the right outside back to become available.

ALSGI

Bench
Sims will hopefully make Sutton his bitch, Friz will hopefully school Critchton and the rest is history.

Forget Gagai, Inglis and Johnston and young Jennings, we have Nighty on his 250th and Nene not to mention The Duft.

Cook has some speed but McInnes will recommend a good dentist by full time.

Hope their Hunt doesn’t think our banners are for him.

George aint Sam, and PV, JG, Moo have their pack covered with some JDB on top.

Our Hunt and Widdop will have a field day.

Drag Queen and Gentlemen, I have a decision and I’m going to the board......Dragons by 30.

Second half I haven’t really considered yet.

getsmarty

Immortal
Nightingale gears up for 250th NRL Game
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3434_2289_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Milestone: Dragons winger Jason Nightingale. Picture: Adam McLean.

Dragons star Jason Nightingale will run out for his 250th first grade game when the St George Illawarra Dragons face South Sydney on Friday night.

Nightingale has spent his entire career at the club since debuting against the Panthers in 2007 and is the last remaining member of the 2010 premiership side.

“Two hundred and fifty games for the one club is a tremendous effort,” Dragons captain Gareth Widdop said. “You want him in the team every week, he’s a great competitor, a good bloke, a good mate of all of us.

“It’s just really pleasing that he’s got to play for the one club he’s been at since he was a junior. It’s a big occasion for Gypsy and his family and we’ll be going out there doing everything possible to make it a successful night.”

A 33-Test New Zealand international, the 31-year-old has made a mark off the field as well, developing an elite athlete business school to provide athletes with the skills required to run a small business once their playing days come to an end.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5321097/friday-a-big-night-for-veteran/?cs=3713