What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Sharks

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Scary thing is we still have so much upside in this squad. Few things went for us yesterday, but we also had a man binned for 10.

Dufty has been a revelation, McInnes is now a real danger and a tackling machine, Nene has upped his level, forwards are beasts, and we finally have a 7. That pass to Euen was just all class.

When they got within 8, in years past we may have caved. I know Cronulla were depleted, but losing can become a habit as we learnt in the past few seasons.

So yes, we had our fair share of luck but overall a good win, with plenty of improvement left in us.

Onwards.
Spot on mate...said somewhere on here this morning that Mcinnes is lightening the load on our props in particular by pinching cheap metres from dummy half instead of them having g to bash and barge their way upfield.....and as you say Dufty is a real handful now with his quick darts he keeps the opposition in two minds as to which way hes moving.....the try he scored last night when he stepped and went in and away left Moylan in disbelief and disarray

Our team has things to work on and in the post game interview I got the impression that was acknowledged. So early in the comp this is ok. It is very hard to play long weeks with everything spot on. Hoping that this year Mary has the coaching nous to take us another level. I’ve not been a fan but he has the team playing well and looking good at present

Mate, how was Vaughn, got the VB hardest working player thingy from Nine and said he thought he had a rubbish game, good to see they don't think the hard work is over.

getsmarty

Immortal
The Sharks are a good side. Majority of their premiership squad still there plus they added Duges and Moylan (even though he was shit last night).

They beat the Storm not so long ago so they are not going that bad.

They had some bad luck but we pumped them by 20.

Well done to our lads.

They made a massive error letting Maloney go and not replacing him with a like for like player.

SEAT 1A

Bench
dragons-team-180413_gt_08.jpg

Go boys, 6-0.

Latimore, did we just win. I'm excited.
Graham, stick it up yu Dogs.
Vaughan, Life's good.
Au Mau, chilling, I've got a new contract coming.
Friz, all in a days work. Sharks were mad for letting me go.
Benny, what Broncos.

kit66

Bench
Unfortunately I agree, Feild on the wing for mine.
Nightingale is a legend, but he's having too many poor games in a row.
There was one play last night where he got the ball 20 metres out, a fast winger would have been in in the corner, he was covered and had to cut back inside

At the beginning of the year I suggested we play Field on one wing ( actually Nightie's ) but now I'm thinking we should blood Lomax and get him to come in and do those hit ups that Nightie does for us to give his forwards a break, his size and strength would be more handy than Fields speed in that situation. The rest of the time stay out on the wing and work up a defensive combo with Aitken. He'd also be handy for diffusing bombs and in attack chasing Hunt's kicks and bombs to the right corner. It's a risk defensively I know but as much as I love Nightie it's becoming increasingly obvious he's off his game and off the pace. It's worth a shot I reckon although maybe not next week.

kit66

Bench
Good win again last night but Ive noticed in particular James Graham in the last 2 games has lost some of his go forward, I know otber teams will lift when they play us and players like Graham will be hit with numbers...we have a pretty heavy schedule coming up particularly in the next 3 weeks so Mary will have to carefully rotate his bench...different team this year I know but I dont want to see a repeat of the past few years when our forwards were burnt early in the season....one good thing that is relieving some pressure on our props is the decision by Mcinnes to run the ball from dummy half , pinching cheap metres rather than our big boppers having to bash theur way upfield

In Graham's defence we've played two huge packs in the last 2 weeks ( Bunnies, Sharks ) and they must know that Graham is currently our spiritual leader ( for want of a better term ), knock him down maybe others follow. He also copped a couple of high shots early on last night. He'll be right, hard as nails and even if he ends up on the bench we won't lose much.

The Damo

Juniors
My three things:
1: Mann in Laughfai to reggies

2: love Flo , but he's reached his 250th, time to take on a mentor role in reggies for the young'uns

3: Aitken needs to decide if he wants to play NRL or not

1. Ah, no. Both are doing an excellent job in their roles.
2. Probably yes
3. Really? The guy who on form is probably in the top 3 centres over the first 6 rounds needs to decide if he’s serious? That’s crazy talk.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
What ?

Are you saying Cam is on par with Rein ?

Sorry if you are being sarcastic.
What ?

Are you saying Cam is on par with Rein ?

Sorry if you are being sarcastic.

Yes, these two are on par in many different areas e.g. a propensity for "brain farts", and questionable passing (McInnes - forward passes/Rein - going the wrong way in attack) etc.

Rein is more dangerous with his quickness out of dummy half, whereas no one can question McIness's endurance (although McGregor will continue to do him a disservice by demanding 80 minutes every week).

mickeylane

Bench
Yes, these two are on par in many different areas e.g. a propensity for "brain farts", and questionable passing (McInnes - forward passes/Rein - going the wrong way in attack) etc.

Rein is more dangerous with his quickness out of dummy half, whereas no one can question McIness's endurance (although McGregor will continue to do him a disservice by demanding 80 minutes every week).
You guys are comedians comparing Rein w Mciness.. Ones about to share the SOO hooking role w DAMIEN Cook and the other has been playing reserve grade for the past 3 years.. You gotta stop these silly comparisons because you sound silly.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You guys are comedians comparing Rein w Mciness.. Ones about to share the SOO hooking role w DAMIEN Cook and the other has been playing reserve grade for the past 3 years.. You gotta stop these silly comparisons because you sound silly.

Rein ISN'T playing reserve grade though, and has been the preferred dummy half even when Peats (himself a former SOO candidate) is on the field at the same time.

I'm confident McInnes won't play SOO, that is, if NSW wants to win a series for a change.

Drag Queen

Bench
No.. You're the comedian here. Don't mind McInnes but he's not an upgrade on Rein. Both have qualities but just because McInnes scored a try doesn't take him to a higher level. I've got no problem with Rein or McInnes but if you've been watching Damien Cook he is the fave for selection. Watch this space. Insert commas where necessary.

SBD82

Coach
No.. You're the comedian here. Don't mind McInnes but he's not an upgrade on Rein. Both have qualities but just because McInnes scored a try doesn't take him to a higher level. I've got no problem with Rein or McInnes but if you've been watching Damien Cook he is the fave for selection. Watch this space. Insert commas where necessary.
IMG_4856.GIF

You’ve kidding right?

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor heaps praise on Dragons' unsung hero McInnes
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 14 Apr 2018, 12:21 AM

One of the unsung heroes in the unbeaten St George Illawarra team is hooker Cameron McInnes, and coach Paul McGregor made sure the 24-year-old didn’t miss out on his share of praise after the 20-point defeat of Cronulla at WIN Stadium.

McInnes scored a slashing solo try in the 33rd minute when he spotted a small gap and sprinted past a couple of flat-footed Sharks defenders before leaving fullback Matt Moylan standing still and scoring in the right-hand corner.

In doing so he became the 12th player in the Dragons' starting 13 to score a try in opening six rounds of the Telstra Premiership season. The only one who hasn’t registered a four-pointer is prop James Graham.

McInnes dazzled the 17,882-strong Wollongong crowd with his sharp turn of speed and opportunistic instinct.

"At training he's quite quick. He does a lot of work but probably doesn’t get to expose himself a lot with the footy,"McGregor said.

"Cam’s a person that the team needs. If you look at our spine we’ve got two guys in Gareth [Widdop] and Ben [Hunt] that like to play on the ball.

"You've got a fullback in Matt Dufty who is around the footy and you’ve got an unselfish player like Cam to give them the ball.

"So the balance is there and no-one is fighting over it. And when he sees an opportunity, like he did tonight, he can finish them off."

McInnes’ speed is not the only thing bringing a smile to McGregor’s face, as his team sits undefeated after six rounds. The fact his players can dig themselves out of any hole is a major fillip.

"It’s pleasing that we’re winning back momentum during the game. That’s the most pleasing thing tonight and we had no injuries," the Dragons coach said.

The same couldn't be said for the Sharks, who lost forwards Paul Gallen (knee), Andrew Fifita (knee), Wade Graham (hamstring) and Luke Lewis (hamstring/knee) on a demoralising night.

Despite the Sharks' misfortune, McGregor said his side had to find something at stages and they did. "The energy they need to show at important times and composure is there," he said.

That composure was on show after the Sharks had scored through Valentine Holmes and Ricky Leutele to claw their way back to 28-20 with 22 minutes to play and it was game on. The home side steadied and Jack de Belin stormed over from close range in the 64th minute to stretch the margin back to 14 points.

"Some individual brilliance got us over the line tonight more than team talent – it was more individual talent," McGregor conceded.

"The intensity and focus they have at the moment, not to be complacent or settling for anything but excellence, is real good. It’s about ‘we’ not ‘me’ in this team. They know if they put the team first they’ll get rewards individually."

Dragons skipper Widdop said the most consistent start to a season he’s ever enjoyed – and that includes his years with Melbourne Storm – was built around that selflessness.

"Just setting standards and at the moment we’re living them," he said. "We ask for best effort every week. Things don’t always go your way but if you’re working for your teammate and giving best effort, you’ll get rewards."

"This first six weeks it’s about team-first actions and we’re doing them really well at the moment. If we continue to do them then better things will come. We’re still on a learning curve but it’s a very pleasing start."

The Dragons can’t breathe easy yet. They face the undefeated Warriors in Auckland next Saturday and then a short turnaround – plus travel – back for the annual Anzac Day match against the Sydney Roosters.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/14/mcgregor-heaps-praise-on-dragons-unsung-hero-mcinnes/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Aitken and Nightingale were caught out a couple of time last night, much like last year.

The difference this year is we have confidence in our ability to score and didn’t panic, then hit back with style.

MacDonald was also caught out committing the same defensive errors from last year i.e. moving up and in, leaving his opposite number wide open.