What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra makes it six from six with 40-20 win over Cronulla, Melbourne downs Newcastle
Updated about 2 hours ago
Email Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

Photo

Matthew Dufty scored twice as the Dragons remained unbeaten with a 40-20 win over the Sharks.

AAP: Craig Golding
St George Illawarra has become the first team in five years to go unbeaten through the first six rounds of a NRL season, adding insult to Cronulla's horror Friday the 13th in Wollongong.

The Dragons beat the Sharks following Melbourne Storm's much-needed win over Newcastle at AAMI Park.

The Sharks' 40-20 loss to their local rivals was only one concern, with Andrew Fifita and Paul Gallen both booked in for Saturday knee scans.

Wade Graham (hamstring) and Luke Lewis (knee) also left the field with minor issues in the second half, cutting through their star-studded forward pack and leaving them with an empty bench by full-time.

Against the odds, though, Cronulla fought back from a 28-10 deficit before giving the Dragons an almighty scare when Josh Dugan was denied a try that could have brought them back within two.

Match Summary
Dragons 40 - 20 Sharks
NRL13/04/2018 20:50
Referee: Ashley Klein, Gavin Badger|Venue: WIN Stadium
  • Gareth Widdop1'
  • Matt Dufty8'
  • Cameron McInnes14'
  • Gareth Widdop22'
  • Gareth Widdop27'
  • Gareth Widdop29'
  • Cameron McInnes33'
  • Matt Dufty41'
  • Gareth Widdop43'
  • Paul Vaughan46'
  • Gareth Widdop48'
  • Jack De Belin63'
  • Gareth Widdop64'
  • Euan Aitken70'
  • Gareth Widdop72'
  • Jayden Brailey14'
  • Chad Townsend15'
  • Edrick Lee24'
  • Valentine Holmes51'
  • Ricky Leutele57'
  • Chad Townsend58'
But, when Jack de Belin and Euan Aitken crossed late for the Dragons, the Sharks were consigned to their fourth loss in six games.

Young full-back Matt Dufty and hooker Cameron McInnes were sensational for the Dragons, while Gareth Widdop also booted four penalty goals.

It marks the first time since Melbourne in 2013 that a team has gone through the opening six rounds undefeated, and just the eighth time in the NRL era.

External Link Dragons - Sharks chalkboard
Chalkboard

Dragons
  • Conversions
  • Drop Goals
  • Penalty Goals
  • Penalties Conceded
  • Play the ball
  • Kick
  • 40/20
5 04 04 03 03 02 02 01 01 0
Direction of play

Sharks
  • Conversions
  • Drop Goals
  • Penalty Goals
  • Penalties Conceded
  • Play the ball
  • Kick
  • 40/20

The Warriors have a chance to join them on 12 points on Saturday when they take on Brisbane in Auckland.

Easily the best attacking team of the opening rounds, the fleet-footed Dufty stepped his away across for two tries — including the Dragons' opener where he used excellent footwork across both sides of the field before finding a gap.

McInnes also scored from a long-range effort when he went 50 metres from dummy-half, after he had earlier been sin-binned for a professional foul.

Paul Vaughan also crossed once for the Dragons, continuing to push his cause alongside de Belin for a New South Wales State of Origin debut.

External Link Dragons - Sharks stats
Match Stats
Dragonsv.Sharks
  • scoring
    Tries
    Dragons Comparison Sharks
    6 6%4% 4
    Conversions
    4 4%2% 2
    Penalty Goals
    4 4%0% 0
    Drop Goals
    0 0%0% 0
    Missed Conversions
    2 2%2% 2
    Missed Penalty Goals
    0 0%0% 0
    Goals Kicking %
    80% 80%50% 50%
There was plenty to like about the Sharks in attack, after coach Shane Flanagan moved during the week to make Matt Moylan his full-time full-back and Trent Hodkinson his number six.

Hodkinson set up two tries in the loss, while Dugan and Valentine Holmes' combination on the right edge looked dangerous after the NSW centre set up a four-pointer for his winger with a slick offload.

Fifita was also dominant with a first-half try-assist and four tackle busts before his night ended on crutches and with his left knee in a brace.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/13/22/10/dragons-thumping-adds-to-sharks-nrl-woes

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons thumping adds to Sharks' NRL woes
By AAP
an hour ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F04%2F13%2F22%2F24%2Fdragonswin_env.jpg

St George Illawarra have become the first team in five years to go unbeaten through the opening six rounds of a season, adding insult to Cronulla's horror Friday the 13th in Wollongong.

The Sharks' 40-20 loss to their local rivals was only one concern, with Andrew Fifita and Paul Gallen sweating on knee scans on Saturday ahead of potentially lengthy stints on the sidelines.

There is particular concern over Fifita, who had his left knee in a brace amd was on crutches, sparking fears he may have damaged his anterior cruciate ligament putting his season in doubt.

Wade Graham (hamstring) and Luke Lewis (knee) will join the pair for scans after minor injuries, cutting through their star-studded forward pack and leaving them with an empty bench by fulltime.

Against the odds Cronulla fought back from a 28-10 deficit before giving the Dragons an almighty scare when Josh Dugan was denied a try that could have brought them back within two.

But when Jack de Belin and Euan Aitken crossed late for the Dragons, the Sharks were consigned to their fourth loss in six games.

"If you lose four senior players it's going to drain your depth, but we just need to take stock and take a deep breath," Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said.

"I'm not happy with the way we're playing.

"Our backs are against the walls now and we're going to have to turn up and win some footy games real quickly."

Young fullback Matt Dufty and hooker Cameron McInnes were sensational for a Dragons attack that continues to fire, while Gareth Widdop also booted four penalty goals.

It marks the first time since Melbourne in 2013 that a team has gone through the opening six rounds undefeated.

The Warriors have a chance to join them on 12 points on Saturday when they take on Brisbane in Auckland before the NRL's form sides meet next week.

They will need to find a way to stop the fleet-footed Dufty, who stepped his away across for two tries - including the Dragons' opener where he used excellent footwork across both sides of the field before finding a gap.

McInnes also scored from a long-range effort when he went 50 metres from dummy-half, after he had earlier been sin-binned for a professional foul.

"We were a little off to start the game in terms of our intent in our defence, but when we needed to find it we did," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

"And some individual brilliance probably got us over the line tonight more than team talent."

There was plenty to like about the Sharks in attack, after Flanagan made Matt Moylan his full-time fullback during the week and Trent Hodkinson his No.6.

Hodkinson set up two tries in the loss, while Dugan and Valentine Holmes' combination on the right edge looked dangerous after the NSW centre set up a four-pointer for his winger with a slick offload.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/04/13/22/10/dragons-thumping-adds-to-sharks-nrl-woes

How sweet it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our team is improving and hasn't reached its ceiling.

Our edge defence was found wanting against a well drilled attack a couple of times.

Fifita is a one man wrecking ball on his day.

They were extremely unlucky to lose 3 players to injury. That's footy.

Great win.

Complacency is our biggest enemy right now. Coaching staff need to press the reboot button to make sure the team maintains its focus.

Aitken and Nightingale were caught out a couple of time last night, much like last year.

The difference this year is we have confidence in our ability to score and didn’t panic, then hit back with style.

Walpole

Juniors
We put 40 on the the sharks, won by 20, stayed undefeated, Dufty scored two fantastic tries and those two dickheads Gallen and Fifita finished the game on the sideline.

Anyone who didn't enjoy that game might as well give up.

ouryears

Bench
Not really sure what you mean there mate. Let me be clearer, Our job was made easier by their misfortune & we made the most of it. We still have room to improve and I don’t want a 40-20 scoreline masking that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sack him then, and then sack the next

Even when the whole crew have been on the field we haven’t looked like winning
But whatever, use the injury as our excuse

We put 40 on the the sharks, won by 20, stayed undefeated, Dufty scored two fantastic tries and those two dickheads Gallen and Fifita finished the game on the sideline.

Anyone who didn't enjoy that game might as well give up.

Hallelujah Walpole
Fifita and Gallen met their match in Vaughan. Sims. Fritz. And Co
And Jimmy Graham going in to see which shark he needed to whack when the all in looked on the cards was priceless

Life's Good

Coach

Sack him then, and then sack the next

Even when the whole crew have been on the field we haven’t looked like winning
But whatever, use the injury as our excuse

Hallelujah Walpole
Fifita and Gallen met their match in Vaughan. Sims. Fritz. And Co
And Jimmy Graham going in to see which shark he needed to whack when the all in looked on the cards was priceless

Who said anything about sacking anyone? You’ve misinterpreted my posts.

ouryears

Bench
How good was it to see the boys run on to WIN wearing the big red V !!

Another great home crowd

Fillet of Shark, what else could you ask for on a Friday night at the Gong
And the saints tune playing on drums...is that all recorded ....or are there drums at the ground, if anyone was there could you let us know

kit66

Bench
We won by 20 points but I'm not sure Mary would be happy with the way we played. That was one of the most unstructured games I've seen us play in 4 or 5 years and I think it had a lot to do with the refs enforcing the 10 and blowing the pea out of their whistles. Honestly we were all over the place in attack and pretty undisciplined in our defence. Our line speed in defence was dictated by the refs a bit and that gave their forwards room to get up some speed and momentum, especially Fifita who doesn't need an invitation ( he and Prior played really well last night ).
When we controlled the ball well in the 2nd half we pretty much set up camp inside the Sharkies 30 for long periods but it would come undone when we gave away penalties and gave them a sniff. Our discipline has to be much, much better next week. I'd also like to see a lot more off-loads and second phase play, it's gone out of our game a bit and that's what will upset the Warriors the most I think.

ozbuck

Juniors
If he hadn't of touched the ball they would have rolled the camera to see McDonald touch it when he was out, before Dugan got to it - dead ball, no try.

Agree defence was worrying at times, it isn't right yet but it's close.

Why so confident the Warriors will take us? I agree they're good but they haven't played this round yet.

Ah good spot mate, I didn't see that Nene part. Good eyes.

I'm just going on the basis that last week we looked to be really struggling the last 15...last night I wasn't confident at half time and we're looking a little soft in defence again. The warriors are big boys and defence needs to be on point. I also think tariq might have an issue with that forearm to sharks halfback too.

We do have a good record against them so who knows

ouryears

Bench
We won by 20 points but I'm not sure Mary would be happy with the way we played. That was one of the most unstructured games I've seen us play in 4 or 5 years and I think it had a lot to do with the refs enforcing the 10 and blowing the pea out of their whistles. Honestly we were all over the place in attack and pretty undisciplined in our defence. Our line speed in defence was dictated by the refs a bit and that gave their forwards room to get up some speed and momentum, especially Fifita who doesn't need an invitation ( he and Prior played really well last night ).
When we controlled the ball well in the 2nd half we pretty much set up camp inside the Sharkies 30 for long periods but it would come undone when we gave away penalties and gave them a sniff. Our discipline has to be much, much better next week. I'd also like to see a lot more off-loads and second phase play, it's gone out of our game a bit and that's what will upset the Warriors the most I think.
Always can improve and strive for perfection

Happy to look at opportunities and the following week see if we can fix any weaknesses we may have

However, playing some ad lib unstructured football when you have a big mean pack is fine together with great halves.

Structured football against some sides who defend well won’t win us games if the storm are on song

We need the ad lib too

Tigers 2005

ouryears

Bench
Who said anything about sacking anyone? You’ve misinterpreted my posts.
What I meant was even the smart shark supporters are telling others not to use their injuries as an excuse

They were well beaten, we ate them for dinner and spat Fifita and Gallen out

FlameThrower

Bench
Lol nah. They went off because they got injured! Our pack didn’t injure them, no one went out there to force injury. Gallens leg buckled in a tackle, Fifita got caught awkwardly and I didn’t even see Graham and Lewis go down.

Prior to that, Fifita alone was standing up to our pack and causing some big headaches.
Fifita, had his one game in 6 standout performance. He was everywhere and was really driving his team. Wade barely touched the ball and must have been injured and carried that into the game, it was a tough game, and we got the 2 points and showcases Dufty and McInnes creating tries out of nothing.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
And the saints tune playing on drums...is that all recorded ....or are there drums at the ground, if anyone was there could you let us

Last night it was recorded.
They usually have it live but not last night.
Best part about that is everyone sings along and claps.
It great