What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

mxlegend99

Referee
not like you guys, the overcelebrators
It's impossible to over celebrate. Panthers have achieved what the salary cap should have made impossible.

No other team has been able to achieve 3 in a row since it become a national competition or since a salary cap was introduced. More teams and a salary cap to spread the talent. Panthers still reign supreme.

maple_69

Bench
I imagine a few guys like Katoa and Puru would be kicking themselves at taking the money/immediate opportunity elsewhere if Luai does move. There’s gonna be no flusher gig in league than our 6 jersey and that’s not discrediting how damn good Luai is, he’s helped built this team. Now though, Cleary is in his prime and the pack is as experienced and hardened as any gets. A 3 x $350K deal should net us any young half in the game that wants a successful career if we’re not happy with Laurie/Cole.

I imagine a few guys like Katoa and Puru would be kicking themselves at taking the money/immediate opportunity elsewhere if Luai does move. There’s gonna be no flusher gig in league than our 6 jersey and that’s not discrediting how damn good Luai is, he’s helped built this team. Now though, Cleary is in his prime and the pack is as experienced and hardened as any gets. A 3 x $350K deal should net us any young half in the game that wants a successful career if we’re not happy with Laurie/Cole.
Or Schneider. Yes I know he's a half back.

Nobody was trashing Burton. Chins was saying Burton is better than Luai. Nothing anybody has said so far proves this point.

I hear plenty of excuses "packs weak, Samoa is good" etc. Burton played for Australia, Penrith and NSW. He has ample opportunity to show his wares. He did show he can be a good centre.
My issue is that Burton hasn’t improved any aspect of his game since he went to the Dogs. Doesn’t play both sides and his kicking game is terrible; yeah, I know he can kick it really high and it looks spectacular, but given the tools he is working with the kicking game is so disappointing.

He doesn’t do anything better today than he did when he left us.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
My issue is that Burton hasn’t improved any aspect of his game since he went to the Dogs. Doesn’t play both sides and his kicking game is terrible; yeah, I know he can kick it really high and it looks spectacular, but given the tools he is working with the kicking game is so disappointing.

Goalkicking has improved out of sight to be fair

age.s

First Grade

You could say the same about Kikau, Api, Capewell, SOS, Naden etc. Virtually everyone who's left us in recent times has gotten worse.

The Realist

Juniors
You could say the same about Kikau, Api, Capewell, SOS, Naden etc. Virtually everyone who's left us in recent times has gotten worse.

The difference being Burton was still very young and raw - most of the guys mentioned are already seasoned players or veterans. They've had time to realise their potential or are already on the downward slope.

Burton being so young and inexperienced you'd expect him to show considerable improvement.

Personally - I think he has gone backwards. His running game was DEADLY with us. He has a great step. I didn't see much of that with him in 2023.

One possible explanation is that the opposition have now had the opportunity to study him whereas in 2020/21 he was still relatively unknown, not an important target relative to other Panthers, and there wouldn't have been much footage.

Now everyone is onto him and he doesn't have 5-6 Stars to hide behind at the Dogs. It will be up to him to add additional skills to foil improving defenses.

Kilkenny

Coach
Apart from the fact the players you mentioned all went to clubs outside the top eight they have all experienced bad runs with injuries. Hopefully, enjoy better fortune next season.

Kilkenny

Coach
Matt Burton turns 24 at the start of next season.

Still young, has a lot of good footy ahead of him, too much natural talent and I expect he will have some really good years ahead, although needs some help from his team mates. This may be his biggest challenge, given the Dogs appear to be in another rebuild with a new roster in 2024.

Latest posts