What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Steve Smith

Old Timer

Coach
The reason that the players didn't appeal their ban, was because they were afraid that if they did, that they would have been blacklisted by the ACB and never represent Australia again. I would have been very happy to represent them if they did appeal their bans. I would have shown the Imran Khan interview with the Devils Avocate that I put up on this thread. I would have showed Sachin Tendulkar's interview that I put up on this thread. I would have quoted Tony Greig's comment that ball tampering has been an open secret in world cricket and has been going on for over 50 years (Greig has been dead for over 5 years now, so that makes it 55 years). I would have asked why our players have been suspended for 9 months and 1 year respectively, when the previous longest suspension was one test match. I would have asked that our players be treated fairly like the ICC did so. I would have said that when other players had been caught ball tampering the ICC handed down their penalty and that was the end of it. I would have even said that when Tendulkar was caught ball tampering the Indian Cricket administration actually fought to have the charge downgraded to cleaning the ball, instead of banning Tendulkar for one year.

I would have asked for fairness and penalties that were in accordance with previous offences.
Please advise me of the previous incidents and penalties involving multiple Australian players including the captain which in fact would be the correct comparison to draw on in reference to penalties handed down by CA in this matter?
Forget about the international issues as they don't involve our players just stick to the Australian examples.
The international body may very well wish to airbrush these matters but CA obviously have a very different opinion and wish to have no repeats.

Old Timer

Coach
One minute you say the others never planned anything they did, now you realise they did.

So you change your argument to suit.

Stealing and shop lifting, hitting anyone, and driving drunk or drugged up are far worse than tampering a lil ole cricket ball.

And the penalty for those things is....?
Not much.

The accepted penalty world wide for tampering is 2 weeks, end of story.

You would do a good job in Bali hading out death sentences
Best you do some rudimentary English courses because at no stage have I changed my position so you are obviously having trouble comprehending.
If I was a judge in Bali and the law said "death penalty" then I would certainly dispense that penalty for offenders.
However, that should not be confused with the fact that I personally wouldn't be a judge in Bali because they have the "death penalty".
Re all the things you consider worse than ball tampering and cheating and the penalties they receive you may in fact be quite correct re their leniency however in the world of ball tampering and pre meditated cheating what Smith, Bancroft and Warner did is as bad as it gets and is deserving of a harsh penalty.
Best you become an advocate for the legal system to toughen up on penalties for the actions I have outlined from your post.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Best you do some rudimentary English courses because at no stage have I changed my position so you are obviously having trouble comprehending.
If I was a judge in Bali and the law said "death penalty" then I would certainly dispense that penalty for offenders.
However, that should not be confused with the fact that I personally wouldn't be a judge in Bali because they have the "death penalty".
Re all the things you consider worse than ball tampering and cheating and the penalties they receive you may in fact be quite correct re their leniency however in the world of ball tampering and pre meditated cheating what Smith, Bancroft and Warner did is as bad as it gets and is deserving of a harsh penalty.
Best you become an advocate for the legal system to toughen up on penalties for the actions I have outlined from your post.
They were using sand paper to scratch the ball. Just like Imran Khan was talking about in his interview with the Devil's Advocate. The media turned a mountain into a molehill and gullible Australians have picked up the ball and ran with it.

ouryears

Bench
Shane Warne has the right idea. Called this a sham and the penalties a total over reaction

Frank Facer

First Grade
Please advise me of the previous incidents and penalties involving multiple Australian players including the captain which in fact would be the correct comparison to draw on in reference to penalties handed down by CA in this matter?
Forget about the international issues as they don't involve our players just stick to the Australian examples.
The international body may very well wish to airbrush these matters but CA obviously have a very different opinion and wish to have no repeats.
I am not aware of any previous incidents of Australian players including the captain being involved in any ball tampering, but I would be extremely surprised if this was in fact the first time that Australian cricketers have been involved in ball tampering.

This is international cricket, not domestic cricket. The same rules and standards should apply to all cricket nations. There should not be one standard for Australian players and another standard for the rest. The fact that in this instance Australian players were involved does not make it any worse than in previous occasions when players from other countries were caught doing it or admitted doing it. Were you jumping up and down about it when the current South African captain was caught ball tampering on two occasions? Were you jumping up and down about it when Sachin Tendulkar was caught doing it? Were you jumping up and down about it when Shahid Afridi was caught doing it. Were you calling them cheats? Were you calling for those above mentioned players to be banned for a year or 2 or even life? Whether they are Australians or players from other countries makes no difference. I think that Australians should be standing by each other and asking for our players to be treated fairly and in accordance with how other international players who had been caught were. The ICC did treat us fairly, but our own cricket administration didn't.

If your son or grandson was one of the players who had been caught ball tampering and they received a nine month or one year ban from international and domestic cricket, while the other players previously caught had only received a 1 test match ban or their match payments deducted, how would you feel about that?

I am 100% sure that when other players from other countries had been caught, other players, including the captain knew about it and I am 100% sure that it would have been premeditated. I will used example of when England regained the Ashes 05 and Martin Trescothick admitted to using a peppermint sweet to help the ball swing like crazy, was definitely premeditated, they even experimented with it before the series began. I am sure that the captain and the bowlers knew exactly what was going on. The England players received OBE's for regaining the Ashes and they were not taken off them after Trescothic admitted to ball tampering to win the Ashes.

Cricket Australia has been pressured by the media to impose the bans that they did. The Australian public has been railroaded by the media to go along with the narrative. I actually think that it is very sad that Australians such as yourself are calling for our players to be made examples of and want our players to miss out on 8 million dollars in one year and want our players to be banned from cricket or a year or 2 years or even life. That is much more concerning to me that one of our players using sand paper to scratch a cricket ball.

Someone pretty famous apparently once said, He who is without sin cast the first stone.

ouryears

Bench
I am not aware of any previous incidents of Australian players including the captain being involved in any ball tampering, but I would be extremely surprised if this was in fact the first time that Australian cricketers have been involved in ball tampering.

This is international cricket, not domestic cricket. The same rules and standards should apply to all cricket nations. There should not be one standard for Australian players and another standard for the rest. The fact that in this instance Australian players were involved does not make it any worse than in previous occasions when players from other countries were caught doing it or admitted doing it. Were you jumping up and down about it when the current South African captain was caught ball tampering on two occasions? Were you jumping up and down about it when Sachin Tendulkar was caught doing it? Were you jumping up and down about it when Shahid Afridi was caught doing it. Were you calling them cheats? Were you calling for those above mentioned players to be banned for a year or 2 or even life? Whether they are Australians or players from other countries makes no difference. I think that Australians should be standing by each other and asking for our players to be treated fairly and in accordance with how other international players who had been caught were. The ICC did treat us fairly, but our own cricket administration didn't.

If your son or grandson was one of the players who had been caught ball tampering and they received a nine month or one year ban from international and domestic cricket, while the other players previously caught had only received a 1 test match ban or their match payments deducted, how would you feel about that?

I am 100% sure that when other players from other countries had been caught, other players, including the captain knew about it and I am 100% sure that it would have been premeditated. I will used example of when England regained the Ashes 05 and Martin Trescothick admitted to using a peppermint sweet to help the ball swing like crazy, was definitely premeditated, they even experimented with it before the series began. I am sure that the captain and the bowlers knew exactly what was going on. The England players received OBE's for regaining the Ashes and they were not taken off them after Trescothic admitted to ball tampering to win the Ashes.

Cricket Australia has been pressured by the media to impose the bans that they did. The Australian public has been railroaded by the media to go along with the narrative. I actually think that it is very sad that Australians such as yourself are calling for our players to be made examples of and want our players to miss out on 8 million dollars in one year and want our players to be banned from cricket or a year or 2 years or even life. That is much more concerning to me that one of our players using sand paper to scratch a cricket ball.

Someone pretty famous apparently once said, He who is without sin cast the first stone.

Beautifully put Frank.
Yes it is amazing and concerning how some Australians want our players made examples of ....while they never uttered a word when players from other countries did the same.

You would have to ask what their real motive is to bash an Aussie.

Tall poppy syndrome, racist against Australians or just dumb?

Whatever their motive, it is more concerning than the small error Smith and Co made.

Smithy didn’t come out and name anyone, I guess real Australians support their mates, not chase them with pitch forks like some on this forum.

Old Timer

Coach
Beautifully put Frank.
Yes it is amazing and concerning how some Australians want our players made examples of ....while they never uttered a word when players from other countries did the same.

Whatever their motive, it is more concerning than the small error Smith and Co made.

Smithy didn’t come out and name anyone, I guess real Australians support their mates, not chase them with pitch forks like some on this forum.
FMD you have no idea do you.
A small error LOL.
Racist how the f**k did you come up with that notion??????
Did Smith not initially say the leadership team were all involved??????
Support their mates, Warner through the entire team under the bus at the first opportunity.

Old Timer

Coach

So in your opinion the sponsors that have bailed out are all f**kwhits and totally over reacting as well?
Don't worry they haven't done anything the wrong the sponsors should keep rolling out the advertising campaigns with Smith and Warner plastered all over them.
So in your opinion Sanitarium Foods and CBA and their media / advertising departments have no idea.
LOL .

ouryears

Bench
FMD you have no idea do you.
A small error LOL.
Racist how the f**k did you come up with that notion??????
Did Smith not initially say the leadership team were all involved??????
Support their mates, Warner through the entire team under the bus at the first opportunity.
Yep, old timer, there are racists in Oz and some are racists against successful fair headed people, I am dark complexion myself but i see the racism from all types of people every day. And tall poppy syndrome.

Which one is your flaw?

I get it, you hate Smith and Warner.

Warner threw no one under the bus, he has named no names, unlike your rantings.

Smith said the leadership group, i think that means the captain and vice captain lol.

Who else in a team of 11 is
a leader!

Warner has closed his mouth, so did Smith, you need to as well.

You are damn boring.

Vitriotic, look it up.

ouryears

Bench
So in your opinion the sponsors that have bailed out are all f**kwhits and totally over reacting as well?
Don't worry they haven't done anything the wrong the sponsors should keep rolling out the advertising campaigns with Smith and Warner plastered all over them.
So in your opinion Sanitarium Foods and CBA and their media / advertising departments have no idea.
LOL .

Some sponsors run scared.

The Mormons own Sanitarium old timer. They run scared over a wee little prickle in the grass.

And CBA? You mean the bank that has just been named for ripping off old Australians with bullshit loans and bullshit loss making investments. And lying about $ returns and ripping off people with bullshit fees.

Named by ICAC as the worst and most cheating bank in our land.

You need to read the news before posting utter crap.

Now, lose your hate.

Frank Facer

First Grade
LOL .
The media made a mountain out of a molehill. The media blew it totally out of proportion. Did sponsors all drop Faf Du Plessis and Vernon Philander and South Africa Cricket as a whole when they got caught ball tampering?

Did sponsors drop Sachin Tendulkar and the rest of the Indian Team when they got caught ball tampering?

Did Sponsors drop Shahid Afridi and Pakistani cricket when Shahid Afridi got caught ball tampering?

Did sponsors drop Michael Vaughn and England cricket when Vaughn got caught ball tampering.

Personally I think Australians should boycott Weet Bix and other Sanitarium product as a protest for them dropping their sponsorship of Smith.

You are over reacting to this.

ouryears

Bench

Frank, we need to put old timer on ignore before he occupies us with his inanity.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep, old timer, there are racists in Oz and some are racists against successful fair headed people, I am dark complexion myself but i see the racism from all types of people every day. And tall poppy syndrome.

Which one is your flaw?

I get it, you hate Smith and Warner.

Warner threw no one under the bus, he has named no names, unlike your rantings.

Smith said the leadership group, i think that means the captain and vice captain lol.

Who else in a team of 11 is
a leader!

Warner has closed his mouth, so did Smith, you need to as well.

You are damn boring.

Vitriotic, look it up.
Your lack of knowledge on the subject is truly breathtaking.
Warner contacted Channel 9 and told them the team including the bowlers were involved and had knowledge of the incident.
Thus the reason Starc would like to punch Warner's head right of its shoulders.
Re Smith I was a huge fan and I was somewhat gobsmacked by his admission.
I do support him making it back into test ranks but fully believe he needs to serve the punishment.
If you believe leadership group is just C & VC you again show your ignorance of the facts.
Your assertion that this has something to do with racism against successful blonde people is the most absurd and stupid argument posted on this thread.
Re me having a flaw in race related or tall poppy matters you are very sadly mistaken but then again your posts clearly demonstrate that.

Old Timer

Coach
The media made a mountain out of a molehill. The media blew it totally out of proportion. Did sponsors all drop Faf Du Plessis and Vernon Philander and South Africa Cricket as a whole when they got caught ball tampering?

Did sponsors drop Sachin Tendulkar and the rest of the Indian Team when they got caught ball tampering?

Did Sponsors drop Shahid Afridi and Pakistani cricket when Shahid Afridi got caught ball tampering?

Did sponsors drop Michael Vaughn and England cricket when Vaughn got caught ball tampering.

Personally I think Australians should boycott Weet Bix and other Sanitarium product as a protest for them dropping their sponsorship of Smith.

You are over reacting to this.
Frank you need to get past the "what other countries did" argument.
This is Australia which clearly has differing opinions to the rest of the world in many matters and we should be proud of that rather as saying "we too".
The fact that some big sponsors are abandoning ship is a clear reflection of what is deemed acceptable behaviour and they at least are worried about reputation.
Do I wish other countries followed our approach and severely punish cheats I certainly do but being a realist I know that their moral fibre is significantly lower than ours and they will not but I am pleased that we can at least pride ourselves in the authenticity of the results that we achieve.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is truly breathtaking.
Warner contacted Channel 9 and told them the team including the bowlers were involved and had knowledge of the incident.
Thus the reason Starc would like to punch Warner's head right of its shoulders.
Re Smith I was a huge fan and I was somewhat gobsmacked by his admission.
I do support him making it back into test ranks but fully believe he needs to serve the punishment.
If you believe leadership group is just C & VC you again show your ignorance of the facts.
Your assertion that this has something to do with racism against successful blonde people is the most absurd and stupid argument posted on this thread.
Re me having a flaw in race related or tall poppy matters you are very sadly mistaken but then again your posts clearly demonstrate that.

OT give it up, they are never going to see the difference between what has gone before and this. Just ain't going to happen.

On the bright side we may never have to see Warners Toyota sponsored century celebrations again.image.jpg

I don't know what he got paid every time he did that crap, but it was a lot.

Old Timer

Coach
Frank, we need to put old timer on ignore before he occupies us with his inanity.
By all means you do that but discussing what to do with Frank makes you sound just like your hero Warner.
I am sure Frank is big enough to make his own decisions and won't allow himself to be coerced (unlike Smith) by some one else who can't hack what is happening.

Old Timer

Coach
OT give it up, they are never going to see the difference between what has gone before and this. Just ain't going to happen.

On the bright side we may never have to see Warners Toyota sponsored century celebrations again.View attachment 18892

I don't know what he got paid every time he did that crap, but it was a lot.
BGB
Alas you are correct.
I liked your post and tbh the looking to the sky Phillip Hughes moments shitted me too.
We are all very sad about that horrendous tragedy but Warner IMO milked it for everything he could get out of it so he could get a few people onside whilst his other behaviour was totally unacceptable and definitely not in the spirit of the game.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Beautifully put Frank.

Smith, Warner and Bancroft have all copped their penalty and are not appealing. They know deep down that this was not some trivial piece of gamesmanship, and the penalties though harsh were in the end deserving. If they can cop it then so should the rest of us.

ouryears

Bench
Smith, Warner and Bancroft have all copped their penalty and are not appealing. They know deep down that this was not some trivial piece of gamesmanship, and the penalties though harsh were in the end deserving. If they can cop it then so should the rest of us.
They have accepted it as we would if we got 12 months in Bali at the risk of getting 10 yrs if we appealed

Surely you have your eyes more awake than that mate,no....yes?

Latest posts