What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney grand final to 2012

Copa

Bench
simon says said:
When they move the Melbourne Cup to Sydney,they can move the GF to Brissy.
wtf..

the Melbourne cup is the MELBOURNE cup.

The NRL is not the NSWRL... so why should the GF be eternally locked-in for sydney?

simon says

First Grade
Cos its ours......if you want a gf in Brissy,start your own comp.

Didnt you already try that though????

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
wtf..

the Melbourne cup is the MELBOURNE cup.

The NRL is not the NSWRL... so why should the GF be eternally locked-in for sydney?

The day Brisbane can sell out it's 82,000 seater with the most corporate facilities of any stadium south of the Equator for the GF it may be considered to move...

...It's tradition. The NRL IS a continuation of the NSWRL, whether you like it or not, and this is one tradition that must be observed.

lockyno1

Post Whore
sixtynine said:
Afl grandfinal= MCG
Nrl grandfinal = Telstra

Simple nothing should ever change

Telstra= the worst ground to watch rugby league! It is terrible!:x

t-ba

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
Telstra= the worst ground to watch rugby league! It is terrible!:x

North Sydney Oval...now there's the worst ground to watch rugby league. Telstra's fine...

lockyno1

Post Whore
t-ba said:
North Sydney Oval...now there's the worst ground to watch rugby league. Telstra's fine...

Ok fine its the second worst oval to watch league then!:lol:

Copa

Bench
t-ba said:
The day Brisbane can sell out it's 82,000 seater with the most corporate facilities of any stadium south of the Equator for the GF it may be considered to move...

...It's tradition. The NRL IS a continuation of the NSWRL, whether you like it or not, and this is one tradition that must be observed.
Since when has a sydney grand final been a long standing tradition for New Zealand's, Victoria's and Qld's elite RL teams?

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
Since when has a sydney grand final been a long standing tradition for New Zealand's, Victoria's and Qld's elite RL teams?

Since they were formed with the specific intent of playing in a competition based in NSW that has its origins in a Sydney comp.

Last time I checked, Recliffe and Mt Albert weren't running around in the NRL...But I sure as hell see Manly and South Sydney...

Copa

Bench
t-ba said:
Since they were formed with the specific intent of playing in a competition based in NSW that has its origins in a Sydney comp.

Last time I checked, Recliffe and Mt Albert weren't running around in the NRL...But I sure as hell see Manly and South Sydney...
I see the warriors, cowboys, broncos, storm, raiders (and soon the titans will be there) in the nrl too..

Seeing as the NSW government actually had to act to keep the GF in sydney...to actually have to take steps to lock it in with the NRL for sydney .... i think it shows the GF will eventually move elsewhere every now and then.

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
I see the warriors, cowboys, broncos, storm, raiders (and soon the titans will be there) in the nrl too..

Seeing as the NSW government actually had to act to keep the GF in sydney...to actually have to take steps to lock it in with the NRL for sydney .... i think it shows the GF will eventually move elsewhere every now and then.

Yes, and they all applied to be in competition with its origins in firmly in Sydney. Maybe if the QRL, NZRL, CRL, NSWRL and VRL :)lol: VRL...) came together and formed an entirely new competition, there'd be an argument...but the NRL is an extension of the NSWRL, much like the AFL is the VFL in drag...

Maybe it will, But I'll be a monkey's uncle if it leaves Sydney in the next 10 year

innsaneink

Referee
Not surprising those throwing tradition out the door here follow clubs with very little of that very value.

Copa

Bench
t-ba said:
Yes, and they all applied to be in competition with its origins in firmly in Sydney. Maybe if the QRL, NZRL, CRL, NSWRL and VRL :)lol: VRL...) came together and formed an entirely new competition, there'd be an argument...but the NRL is an extension of the NSWRL, much like the AFL is the VFL in drag...

Maybe it will, But I'll be a monkey's uncle if it leaves Sydney in the next 10 year
If steps actually had to be taken to lock it in for sydney.. the certainty of the sydney grand final may no longer exist in the not too distant future.

send your complaints to Gallop.

Razor

Coach
Did QLD even get a chance to counter offer?

Suncorp is the far superior footballing stadium, if the game has the Bronco's/Cowboys why not move it up there?? Telstra may hold more but it has nothing on Suncorp...

One main reason is because the NRL could be concerned on the crowd if the Broncos don't make it.

They shouldn't be, because it will still sell out, but Channel 9 Brisbane is to blame.

If the Broncos play on Sunday and the match that 9 shows in Sydney is not that match, 9 in Brisbane will dump that match and show the Broncos.

Look at Sydney - Round 1 this year, Sunday game - Brisbane v North QLD. There were matches involving Sydney teams, but 9 in Sydney still showed the all QLD clash.

So Sydney people prove they'd watch every team. Brisbane haven't.

Copa

Bench
Qld want the NRL grand final:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200606/1653759.htm?brisbane

Lang Park holds about 30,000 fewer fans than the Olympic Stadium, but Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said that was not an issue.

"I don't believe a crowd of more than 50,000 is needed for a grand final," he said.

"If you were one of the 80,000 people that were at the Olympic Stadium in the first Origin game and way up the back, it's too far away.

"[Lang Park] is big enough I believe. Because most of the people that are watching the game are watching it on TV."

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
If steps actually had to be taken to lock it in for sydney.. the certainty of the sydney grand final may no longer exist in the not too distant future.

send your complaints to Gallop.

What's the not too distant future?

What, 20 years?

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
is 20 more years your acceptable cut-off point for your "tradition"?

No...A stadium that can actually rake in as much $$$ for the NRL in an area that's proven itself as loyal to RL as Sydney is when I'd consider it...

Since Brisbane is Maybe 2/5's the size of Sydney and Draws a quarter of it's NRL crowds, and also lacks a stadium with the size of Telstra, I'd say that day is quite a while away.

Just a Hint: I live in Brisbane ;-)

sretsoor

Juniors
It can only stay in Sydney as they are the only ones who have a public holiday the next day. Brisbane doesnt (but I wish we did!).

Latest posts