What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney....haha

Knightmare

Coach
I would agree with that one. Home ground is devoid of atmosphere unless the team is winning, and followed by people wearing jerseys with the price-tags still on them :lol:

Hanscholo

Bench
Ross Aloisi defends his brother John over his poor form

December 22, 2008
FORMER Australia midfielder Ross Aloisi has defended his misfiring brother John, saying he should not be made a scapegoat for Sydney FC's dismal form.

Marquee striker John endured a nightmare afternoon in Sunday's 4-1 loss to Perth, missing two easy chances to score, as his poor season hit a new low.

One was arguably the worst miss seen in the A-League as he stumbled and failed to get a touch on what looked a simple tap-in to an open goal from one metre out.

Even the fans have turned on him, booing loudly as he was substituted in the 55th minute.

Despite being paid a reported $1.4 million a season, Aloisi simply hasn't delivered this year, managing only two goals in 14 games for Sydney.

But retired big brother Ross, formerly of Adelaide United and Wellington Phoenix, says the biggest reason for Aloisi's poor season is the fact the John Kosmina-coached side has not been playing good football.

"I do feel for John. Even if it wasn't my brother, someone going through that, you'd feel for them," said Ross, who played under Kosmina at Adelaide.

"I think the biggest problem is Sydney aren't playing good football.

"And there is a lot more to that than just one player.

"... Sure, he missed two sitters yesterday, but how many of those has he had this year?

"You've got to look at the whole team and their tactics.

"When is it that you stop pointing a finger at a player and start pointing it at the way a team is playing?"

Ross also believed John's salary should not be factor in the criticism aimed at him by fans.

"Obviously it (the criticism) has been a lot to do with the money," Ross said.

"But at the end of the day, you can't blame a certain player for losing a game just because he's on a certain amount of money.

"If you're going to look at that, who was giving him the money in the first place and who wanted him?

"Even if you do pay a lot of money for a player, where's the guarantee the player's going to be performing?

"It happens all around the world."

John, 32, refused to front the media at Sydney's recovery session on Monday but captain Steve Corica stepped in to defend his teammate and called for fans to lay off the striker.

Both Corica and Ross were certain John, who has 27 goals in 55 appearances for the Socceroos, would soon bounce back to his best.

"It's happened to him before," Ross said of the former Portsmouth and Osasuna striker.

"I do think he can come through it but unfortunately in the A-League there's only a few games to go."

AAP

clicky

So John has gotten Ross to have a go at Kosmina? lol.

I was aware Aloisi was a bad sport, a f**kwit and an avg striker until that article however i never realised he was a coward as well. John Kosmina didnt make you miss a goal that a geniused monkey could have sloted home John. Maybe you should just take it on the chin for once.

fish eel

Immortal
And? This is soccer- the exact same sport they play in Europe with the same rules.

Not really with the same rules.

Most leagues in Europe dont have playoffs. Some do for various reasons.

In Australia, we have play offs to determine the champions.

Some people need to get it into their head that this is not europe, and we measure the champions by a different barameter

In League, a GF is valid because it is much easier to score points in League. All you need to do is cross the try-line from any side of the field and ground the ball. Most times in League, the better team wins, hence in most cases the best team wins the GF. In 100 years of League there has only ever been one 0-0 draw.

Wow.

Thanks for telling me they are two different codes :?

To score a point in soccer (football), you not only have to strike the ball within the vicinity of the goal mouth, but you must also get it past the opposition goal-keeper. Many times the better team doesn't win a game

No sh*t?

. Are you going to suggest that Liverpool are a no better team than Stoke this season, or the same about Chel$ki and Fulham?
In this past year alone I have seen 4 or 5 0-0 draws in the EPL.

LOL.

Where the f**k did that come from? :lol:

The governing bodies of the major soccer leagues the world over realised long ago how difficult it is to score in the game, and recognised that in a domestic season, the only way you can judge who is the best team is by counting all the results and awarding it to whoever finishes on top. Soccer Grand Finals have only existed in Australia since 1978 as a way of generating more revenue for the game and to make the competition easier to understand for bogans who call soccer "soccer".

Thanks for the history leasson there buddy

Maybe you want ask yourself what also happened in 1978? Grand Finals had nothing to do with the commencement of the NSL, did they?

Mariners are officially recognised as the best team in 2007-08. And unlike their northern rivals, they are still well in contention to add another Premiership trophy (and maybe a Grand Final one too?) to their trophy cabinet this season. :cool:

Newcastle Jets are the reigning champions.

This time next year, nobody will remember who finished first last season, but people will remember who held the trophy up on GF day.

edit:

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=history

Even the official A-League website recognises the GF winner over the first placed getter.

Talking about what happens in europe is irrelevant, because this isnt europe.

Win the GF, you'll be recognised as champions.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong with what TT said

I've supported Breakers/United/Jets for as long as I can remember..

Hooray for goal difference :lol:
I do... he's that delusional and defensive about his team's sh*tness this year that he's accusing fans of my club of hating his club more than they love their own. Sydney FC and my hatred of it are a distant third in my list of priorities in the A-League... first being the mighty, premiership leading Central Coast Mariners, second being hating your scummy merkin Jets.

As for your "support" I wasn't referring to which NSL/HAL team you support. This thread has seen you whore yourself to whomever makes the best calls. Simple facts are your team is currently stone motherless and that makes you qualified to comment on nothing. But if you do choose to - pick one side and stick to it. You look like a stark raving lunatic.

prove me wrong

mariners beat their "arch rival" and the fans on here pop up when sydney lose

face it, you care more about the failings of sydney than the success of the mariners

you are mad because the mariners rivals are newcastle LOL and sydney battle it out with melbourne and queensland and perth would easily come infront of the mariners in the carefactor stakes

sydney = 1 grand final win from 1 appearance
mariners = 0 grand final win from 2 appearances
Prove you wrong?

I'm afraid if you're the one making the statement, it's up to you to prove us wrong. You find me all of these Mariners fans who hate Sydney before loving the 'Coast. How on Earth you can even prove that is beyond me but go for your life. For the record, passing comment on another team doesn't equal that hating your team more than they love their own.

I'm not debating who FC care about as rivals and quite enjoy our F3 derby thing with Newcastle, it's a strong, passionate rivalry and if you don't care for the Sydney v Mariners thing then that's your prerogative. Nor am I debating your club has a better record in championship matches either so nice try on that front.

I hear Kosmina needs to be helped up after last weekend's little knock... run along now...

fish eel

Immortal
I do... he's that delusional and defensive about his team's sh*tness this year that he's accusing fans of my club of hating his club more than they love their own. Sydney FC and my hatred of it are a distant third in my list of priorities in the A-League... first being the mighty, premiership leading Central Coast Mariners, second being hating your scummy merkin Jets.

Wow.

You have your 'priorities' for the A-League and two of the top 3 include 'hating' other clubs?

Ok then. :sarcasm:

lol

dude started 2009 snapping at sydney fc and totaly forgot his own team won

grand final winners > coming first in the regular season

Timmah

Staff member
Only comes around every now and again... and we won't be playing either of you again until at least August so I think I'll be fine to let it go for a while ;-)

Knightmare

Coach
Not really with the same rules.

Most leagues in Europe dont have playoffs. Some do for various reasons.

In Australia, we have play offs to determine the champions.

Some people need to get it into their head that this is not europe, and we measure the champions by a different barameter

LOL.

Where the f**k did that come from? :lol:

It came from this idea that the best A-League team are the Grand Final winners and not the Premiers. If we're going to judge a team's entire season credentials on one game, then I guess Liverpool are no better than Stoke City and Chelsea are no better than Fulham, because they both drew the last time they played. :crazy:

fish eel

Immortal
It came from this idea that the best A-League team are the Grand Final winners and not the Premiers. If we're going to judge a team's entire season credentials on one game, then I guess Liverpool are no better than Stoke City and Chelsea are no better than Fulham, because they both drew the last time they played. :crazy:

Wow.

Nice strawman there. Regular season games v Grand Final which teams qualify for. Great comparison.

The idea isnt who is the best.

The idea is what trophy matters more. The one that counts in Australia is the grand final. Hence, the winner of the grand final are known as Champions, and listed above the side that finishes first on the A-League website honour roll.

Newcastle were worthy champions last year. They won the gramd final, and, IMO, played the best (ie, most attractive football) to watch. It was good to see a side who tried to played football the right an attractive way get rewarded.

Perhaps is CCM were able to get the results they get playing more attractive football, rather than the stodgy, old school english style McKinna has them playing (which they are good at), they might get crowds like the one on NYE more often.

I reckon there's three or four A-League sides I'd rate as better footballing sides than CCM at the moment.

hook line and sinker

you dug up posts because you care

do the rex hunt and throw it back

are you for real?

the grand final WINNER is the EQUIVALENT of the team who finished FIRST in the regular season of major world wide leagues BECAUSE MOST WORLD WIDE LEAGUES DO NOT HAVE A FINALS SERIES

your straw clutching at liverpool and stoke is ridiculous and suggests you should try and let this go because you've fallen behind the pack

Knightmare

Coach
It's not straw clutching at all. My point is that in soccer (football) the better team often doesn't win the game. In League and Aussie Rules, for instance, it happens alot less. Therefore IMO the Premiership is more valuable because it rewards a season of being the team to beat, not just 90 minutes of being the team to beat.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
In conclusion

Sydney are arrogant scum but have at least won an A-League Championship

Newcastle is full of bogans (nothing wrong with that either) and we are reigning champions and we don't give a f**k what you think.

Central Coast :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
hook line and sinker

you dug up posts because you care

do the rex hunt and throw it back
:lol: Proven so woefully wrong and pull the fishing line. Please.
are you for real?

the grand final WINNER is the EQUIVALENT of the team who finished FIRST in the regular season of major world wide leagues BECAUSE MOST WORLD WIDE LEAGUES DO NOT HAVE A FINALS SERIES

your straw clutching at liverpool and stoke is ridiculous and suggests you should try and let this go because you've fallen behind the pack
I think his point is that the finals series concept is foreign worldwide in this sport and that AUSTRALIA is outside the norm in terms of how their league is structured. As such, he believes that the premiership is quite important. Good on him. Why does it bother you? Neither of you are wrong.
In conclusion

Sydney are arrogant scum but have at least won an A-League Championship

Newcastle is full of bogans (nothing wrong with that either) and we are reigning champions and we don't give a f**k what you think.

Central Coast :lol:
You're weaker than piss.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I think his point is that the finals series concept is foreign worldwide in this sport and that AUSTRALIA is outside the norm in terms of how their league is structured. As such, he believes that the premiership is quite important. Good on him. Why does it bother you? Neither of you are wrong.

How can neither of them be wrong, when they are both saying totally opposite things :lol:

Timmah's train of terror continues..

You're weaker than piss.

You've got more chins than a chinese phone book :sarcasm:

Latest posts