What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V Warriors - Gidley Rested

otori

Juniors
Maybe a suggestion that's not wildly popular but I think it would be a good move for the Knights to sign Matthew Head. I rate him as a player and considering he's getting dick at the Dragons currently he'd probably make the trip for not a lot of dosh. He's got experience and good organisation.

BG

Juniors
it was more an inference that many of our first grade players are punching above their weight. Its a belief I have that sooner or later, players who are discards from other teams, show us the reason why they were discarded from other teams...

We've had 6 to 9 first-graders unavailable in recent weeks. I agree that prior to last Sunday some of our second-stringers have been performing above expectations. Difficult for them to keep it going week-to-week in such an intense competition, especially when we're such a youthful team.

I have no idea we're you're coming from by suggesting there are "discards" in our top 17 who are on the brink of a decline. Taia, Faas, Hilder, Hous, Sau? I don't know about punching above their weight but they've been punching above their sign-on fees for some time now. I reckon we can safely count on the fact that they've established themselves as good players.

Rolla

Juniors
Maybe a suggestion that's not wildly popular but I think it would be a good move for the Knights to sign Matthew Head. I rate him as a player and considering he's getting dick at the Dragons currently he'd probably make the trip for not a lot of dosh. He's got experience and good organisation.

Im with you on that one.... though not ideal he would be enough to partner Jarrod... injury prone though which is always a concern

Rolla

Juniors
We've had 6 to 9 first-graders unavailable in recent weeks. I agree that prior to last Sunday some of our second-stringers have been performing above expectations. Difficult for them to keep it going week-to-week in such an intense competition, especially when we're such a youthful team.

I have no idea we're you're coming from by suggesting there are "discards" in our top 17 who are on the brink of a decline. Taia, Faas, Hilder, Hous, Sau? I don't know about punching above their weight but they've been punching above their sign-on fees for some time now. I reckon we can safely count on the fact that they've established themselves as good players.

Great point.... I think in the case of some of the players, particularly those mentioned by BG, they arent punching above their weight, they are punching above your expectations. There is a fine line between the two, and it is hard to distinguish but there is a big difference.

Last edited:

Pika

Bench
Sharks have been far from poor all year.

Early season they were as tough as ever. From round 4 confidence dropped and they started playing poor.

It was a courageous effort from the boys beating them round 2 at Shark park after the conditions in Gold Coast the week before.

I would not single out Scott though. That was an amazing collective effort from the entire side.

Alex28

Coach
Alex is firmly in the Rogers corner and me against it.
I'd actually like it known that I am actually in the "I don't care what the question is - Dureau is not the answer" corner...I don't believe Rogers is the answer either, but he is a damn side better than Scott.

harry

Juniors
Any update on Mad Dog? I was hearing he was a chance to play this week in NZ but there has been no talk of it in the last few days. Does anyone know if he flew over?

voltron

Juniors
I'd actually like it known that I am actually in the "I don't care what the question is - Dureau is not the answer" corner...I don't believe Rogers is the answer either, but he is a damn side better than Scott.

see that's your problem
you dont care what the question is
because if the question is, who can we play so that mullen can play his more natural game
then dureau IS the answer
maybe rogers > duearu
but mullen @ 5/8th >> mullen @ half
so people are willing to have dureau at half if it means that mullen plays better
and he does, and so in the end i personally think its worth it to have dureau at half if it means mullen can play 5/8th
if rogers could play both, and they could switch during the game, fair enough, but he is crap at that

you and karma's blind arguing it wearing on everyones patience
i'm glad you have an opinion, but you lack at ability to concede ground
so in the end you look like a douche

~knights~

Juniors
Are you serious?

He did his job against a really, really poor team.

they were not a poor team then

they won their 1st R match and a few people were tipping them to win the premiership (well P.Rothfield did :lol:)

Also the sharks were favourite to win against the knights

they hit poor form from then on though ;-)

and you said robson outplayed dureau

he wasn't even on the field for the entire game?

Scott kicked a 40-20
we scored of the next play
we were up 12-6 then he went off injured???

I'd rather have scott dureau at half than Robson that's for sure :)

Big Tim

First Grade
they were not a poor team then

they won their 1st R match and a few people were tipping them to win the premiership (well P.Rothfield did :lol:)

Also the sharks were favourite to win against the knights

they hit poor form from then on though ;-)

and you said robson outplayed dureau

he wasn't even on the field for the entire game?

Scott kicked a 40-20
we scored of the next play
we were up 12-6 then he went off injured???

I'd rather have scott dureau at half than Robson that's for sure :)

No no no no.

No sensible arguments around here thank you very much.

Alex28

Coach
you and karma's blind arguing it wearing on everyones patience
i'm glad you have an opinion, but you lack at ability to concede ground
so in the end you look like a douche
So what you would like is a forum where everyone heaps praise on everyone in the team and no one ever disagrees and it's sunshine and lollypops right?

What you are saying is that I disagree with you, so I look like a douche.

There are a bunch of people here that are discussing buying in alternatives in the halves. So they also agree that Dureau is not the answer. So they are douche's as well right?

No double standards here...a lot of people here have the same opinion - they just choose to state them differently...

Name calling isn't going to stifle opinion here. I don't particularly care if I am wearing on your patience, or if you think I am a douche. I wont degrade my input on this forum down to petty name calling when I have nothing to add to a discussion...

CJG 182

Juniors
We sure did look organised without a proper halfback, a 5/8th playing halfback and a pot plant playing 5/8th.... wait.. well..wearing the number 6.

Serc

First Grade
I'm as big a Dureau fan as any, but I don't think he would've made too much difference out there tonight...some organisation and a better kicking game would've helped, but it wouldn't have stopped players dropping the ball, missing tackles and making junior mistakes!

Karmawave

Bench
I'm as big a Dureau fan as any, but I don't think he would've made too much difference out there tonight...some organisation and a better kicking game would've helped, but it wouldn't have stopped players dropping the ball, missing tackles and making junior mistakes!

Don't speak such logic.

Maybe the weather gods would have been nicer if he played. Or if he was there, the Warriors early line speed might have been slower.

We missed Kurt Gidley's involvement in such conditions ( especially De Gois and to a lesser extent the halves ) first and foremost.

We are missing McManus early set go forward secondly...

And there's daylight to any other factor.

Though it sure would be nice to know we had some kind of halfback as back up for injury and to keep the pressure on.

What if another half gets injured? What then?

CJG 182

Juniors
Very good points Karma.

Your post... somewhere... maybe the match day thread? about JMac's contribution to a set is 100% spot on. Added I also think he adds some decent, not great, but decent finishing, and some comfort for fans when the high ball goes up.

But your comments in regards to that early hit up are an excellent point. (Horrible grammar there)

Also in fairness to said pot plant, I think losing Kurt really effects his game. He's been given a very basic and simple game to play, and without Kurt there doing some of the play making he tends to over play his hand, out of say being eager to contribute, something that has cruelled him at other clubs. The loss of those two cannot be underestimated and you are spot on there.

Here's a Hypothetical.
Everyone is fit. Mullen then gets injured. Rogers, Dureau are now the halves, scary, I know but still at least its something. Dureau then gets hurt. What happens then?? Ndaira to 7? If any 2 out of those 3 are injured at the same time we look very weak.

Rolla

Juniors
Don't speak such logic.

Maybe the weather gods would have been nicer if he played. Or if he was there, the Warriors early line speed might have been slower.

We missed Kurt Gidley's involvement in such conditions ( especially De Gois and to a lesser extent the halves ) first and foremost.

We are missing McManus early set go forward secondly...

And there's daylight to any other factor.

Though it sure would be nice to know we had some kind of halfback as back up for injury and to keep the pressure on.

What if another half gets injured? What then?

i hear Matty Johns needs a job

Karmawave

Bench
It was always going to be a precarious situation with only 3 actual halves in the club.

We don't have the luxury of a Josh McCrone or Daniel Mortimer ready to step up.

We have no one to speak of other than a make shift 6 or 7 in Hilder, Gidley and Ndiara if mpre than 1 of our current halves are not available at any time.

What is a very real scenario is Mullen misses a game due to Origin commitments ( I haven't checked the byes in relation to the Knights and SOO games ), and Dureau is still out injured.

THEN WHAT?! That could be worse still - Ndaira/Rogers :lol:

Though I think what could take the cake is Gidley anywhere in the halves and Junior Burger playing fullback... oh dear...