What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test squad for India?

JW

Coach
Pure lunacy, when we won in 2004 it was out pace bowlers that did the job. Our spinners are shit so let's pick more of them and leave out a world class quick lol.

Truth.

3 quicks is not enough I feel. They're our strength at the moment and doing a decent job.

McGrith, Giuseppe and Kasper did some great work in 04. Better attack yes, but still our strength.

Trying to out-spin India in India rarely if ever works.

some11

Referee
D7XEyLk.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
Maxwell:

I don't mind Maxwell going on this tour. Ive said all along if he can get his head into test cricket mode he could be anything. This I would imagine would be his last chance I don't think the selectors or more importantly Boof/Smithy would want him again if he is going to play clown t20 shots and get out to nothing deliveries in this format. The guy is very talented. If he doesn't get it now, on this tour, then stamp his papers for test cricket

MMarsh:

Having said all that about Maxy, I don't think he will play in the 1st test. Most likely go with MMarsh at 6 and as the 3rd seamer. His batting on the sub continent isn't too bad compared to anywhere else (average 41 in the UAE, and 30 in the SL 0-3 debacle)

Indian Decks:

Punter said on the bbl coverage that indian decks are very different from even when he played. A lot harder for touring sides now as decks are hard to play spin from day 2. I remember when we won the series 2-1 over there in 2004 Ganguly blowing up to the curator cause he prepared a deck that suited our pace bowling. We won that test. We wont get lucky like that over there anymore.

Spin:
We have to play both Lyon and SOK . I think they will do ok. On the decks they have over there we aint gonna win with pace. Same as when India have won the odd test here in Australia its not with spin. Swepson wont play (possibly if we are 0-3) This tour is more him gaining experience everywhere bar on the paddock.

Batting:

If we win the toss we need 550+ to have any chance. Poms scored 400-450 lost tests. We don't want one or two guys to step up. We need the top 6 to contribute regularly to avoid 0-4

Im feeling a bit confident of this tour. We wont win the series but am feeling it will be closer than many think. We will win a test. We are due

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
These words of wisdom from our chairman of selectors, you have to querey his intelligence

Why recall Glenn Maxwell?

What we do know is Glenn is very experienced in Indian conditions. He’s generally regarded as a good player of spin bowling, he’s a good fielder and his off-spin could be handy. Once again, if conditions prevail we have the option of playing him as the allrounder and having the extra spinning option available to us.

Well firstly IPL pitches have nothing in common with test match pitches so that experience is completely irrelevant. And yes his off spin could be handy, if he ever spun one

Why did Wade keep the gloves?

It was nice to see Matthew score some runs (referrring to his maiden ODI century on Friday night). We know he can bat as stated previously. The thing with Matthew is since his inclusion in the Test side we feel his wicketkeeping has improved immensely. Plus, we don’t’ necessarily see it but what he adds to the team environment and what he does behind the scenes is immeasurable and he’s going pretty well for us.

There it is, we picked Wade because of what he does OFF THE FIELD

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/five...maxwell-marsh-wade-cartwright-agar/2017-01-15

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Everyone keeps saying Wades keeping has improved immensely, they all must be watching a different game to me, he's keeping is as shit as it's always been.

some11

Referee
There it is, we picked Wade because of what he does OFF THE FIELD

To be fair, I remember Steve Smith got picked early on due to something like "livening up the dressing room".

Wade better improve 250% to fulfill the faith put in him.

Tommy Smith

Referee
f**king lol at that squad.

Mitch Marsh will score fewer runs than Ponting did in 2001. He's a poor man's Adam Hollioake. How the f**k does he keep getting selected?

Every single one of those spin bowlers is going to get murdered. Pace bowling was Australia's only chance. So naturally they pick 5 spinners lolol

And Wade! The gift that will never stop giving because Cricket Australia is run by Shane Warne. He'll drop a dozen catches and miss half a dozen stumpings.

He'll concede more byes than M Marsh or Maxwell score runs.

LU could select a much better squad, no joke.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hohns says Zampa was "reasonably close" to selection.

He averages 50 with the ball in 1st class cricket. FIFTY. :D:D:D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well Swepson averages mid 40s so yeh, he was right

that's how bad we are going

Bazal

Post Whore
lol Wade f**k off. And no real back up keeper (Handscomb doesn't count).

We don't normally take a back up keeper to the sub continent anyway do we? Close enough to fly one in if Wade goes down injured (oh please let him go down injured)

Red Bear

Referee
If O'Keefe is suited to anywhere I think it'd be India.

It's a shame neither Cummins or Patto are ready for test cricket, I think they'd both be handy.

I'm not expecting Swepson to play. I'd probably go

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
SMarsh
Wade (ugh)
Starc
O'Keefe
Lyon
Hazelwood

Maybe Bird and Agar (would probably actually be Maxwell) in for SMarsh and a spinner.

Maxwell is extremely fortunate to be picked, as is Wade

Bazal

Post Whore
O'Keefe should theoretically bowl well in India. There's a bit of Ashwin about him in that he generally uses variations of angle, pace and flight rather than any great turn.

On Indian wickets he's the kind of bowler I'd expect to be pretty effective....against anyone but India. That's the problem. These batsmen grew up scoring hundreds of blokes like SOK and Lyon.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I said like 4 years this was the worst Aus team ever and it still holds true to this day,since that comment the following has happened

Lost 3-1 to Adam Lyth in the Ashes
Got destroyed by South Africa on there own turf
Got destroyed 3-0 to the worst Sri Lankan team ever
Upcoming 4-0 loss to India

Game Set Match Haynetrain