What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Moylan Files

mxlegend99

Referee
Ive said it before, no way Nathan hangs around after what Gus did to his dad
Imagine a list of players pushed out or lost if that happens:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Michael Gordon
3. Michael Jennings
4. Peta Hiku
5. James Roberts
6. Matt Moylan
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Sitaleki Akauolo
9. James Segeyaro
10. Jeremy Latimore
11. Wade Graham
12. Luke Lewis
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Chris Grevsmuhl
15. Suaia Matagi
16. Tim Grant
17. Api Korisau

Blake Austin
Jamie Soward
Te Maire Martin
Mitch Rein

Some losses had to happen. But many of those were replaced with inferior players or not at all.

Imagine a list of players pushed out or lost if that happens:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Michael Gordon
3. Michael Jennings
4. Peta Hiku
5. James Roberts
6. Matt Moylan
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Sitaleki Akauolo
9. James Segeyaro
10. Jeremy Latimore
11. Wade Graham
12. Luke Lewis
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Chris Grevsmuhl
15. Suaia Matagi
16. Tim Grant
17. Api Korisau

Blake Austin
Jamie Soward
Te Maire Martin
Mitch Rein

Some losses had to happen. But many of those were replaced with inferior players or not at all.
Gus' ego is responsible for half of those

martielang

Bench
Explain how he has taken the piss out of the club.

The only negative shit going around is 100% media driven. Even if its all true he hasn't said or done shit to blow the story up.

He might have been a poor captain for us (although we have made the finals both years he has been captain). But he has been among our best players everytime he has taken the field and thats the most important part of his job.

I’m not getting into this again, just to hear the same excuses. A lot has been swept under the carpet that hasn’t even seen the papers.

Moylan could be a great player, no arguement from me. But he’s not near where he could be or near the level you think hes at. His defence is horrendous both decision making (our defensive structure improved ten fold with May at 6) & application, & with the ball for every spectacular play there’s 2 brain dead decisions which conveniently get forgotten on here. Natural ability only gets you too far.

Maloney will get us closer to a GF then a half arsed Moylan will.

mxlegend99

Referee
I’m not getting into this again, just to hear the same excuses. A lot has been swept under the carpet that hasn’t even seen the papers.

Moylan could be a great player, no arguement from me. But he’s not near where he could be or near the level you think hes at. His defence is horrendous both decision making (our defensive structure improved ten fold with May at 6) & application, & with the ball for every spectacular play there’s 2 brain dead decisions which conveniently get forgotten on here. Natural ability only gets you too far.

Maloney will get us closer to a GF then a half arsed Moylan will.
Talking shit again

May improved our defence ten fold? Really? How many games did we keep the opposition tryless with him in the team? Because we did so a few times with Moylan in the team. Oh thats right... you just make outlandish claims based on absolutely nothing and act like they are fact.

May missed 2.2 tackles per game. Moylan missed 2.7 tackles per game. Maloney missed 6.1 tackles per game. The only number that stands out there is Maloneys. But hey apparently bad defence only applies to Moylan.

We get it... you hate Moylan. But he will be better for the Sharks than Maloney will be for us. They are a lot better at recruitment than we are. They are better coached and actually play with a purpose.

martielang

Bench
i just say what I see, & we looked a lot better defensively with May in our side. Not too sure your one missed tackle stat which favours May necessarily disproves that but anyway.

I don’t hate Moylan, I just have this crazy train of thought that our highest paid player and captain should act like a professional footballer/adult. I can go into specifics but what’s the point it’s a media conspiracy.

OldPanther

Coach
I have doubts over if Moylan is a 6 or not. A full off season is a must regardless though off that list you would want a half that can go for 3 seasons atleast then hand the reins over to Cleary and Luani/Blore. So that leaves only Pearce

We don't have anyone named "Luani"

mxlegend99

Referee
i just say what I see, & we looked a lot better defensively with May in our side. Not too sure your one missed tackle stat which favours May necessarily disproves that but anyway.

I don’t hate Moylan, I just have this crazy train of thought that our highest paid player and captain should act like a professional footballer/adult. I can go into specifics but what’s the point it’s a media conspiracy.
Half a tackle per game... so in 2 games Moylan misses one more tackle at 6 than a lock/second rower at 6 does.

Meanwhile Maloney missed almost 4 extra tackles PER GAME. He would be our highest paid player and he hasnt had back to back contracts at a club in first grade. He goes where the big money is and the clubs he is at are happy to let him go. Cronulla would rather sign the player you hate than keep Maloney.

Afterall what team would want their highest paid player to be the worst defender and most ill disciplined player in the game?

For all the talk of lacking professionalism.. Moylan hasnt been quoted once by the media. So whatever happens he hasnt lied to the fans or the public either way. Our club cant say the same though... if Moylan leavrs thats two 5/8ths within 6 mo ths the club has said would stay and are then released.

Professional like Maloney not putting in ON the field because he wasn't happy with his contract? Moylan loves a beer but has always put in and almost every week been our best player.

hindy111

Post Whore
Primary choice: Moylan

Alternatives in order of preference:

1. Pearce
2. Green
3. Maloney

Daylight

4. May

Daylight, Nightime, some more Daylight and so on for 100 years

5. Hayne

Isnt Maloney NSW half and currently in Aus sqaud.
I see this as an upgrade. He also taken 3 teams to grand finals so knows big games.
Moylan is a question mark in halves.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Isnt Maloney NSW half and currently in Aus sqaud.
I see this as an upgrade. He also taken 3 teams to grand finals so knows big games.
Moylan is a question mark in halves.

Makes you wonder why the Sharks are so keen to see it go through if we are so clearly getting an upgrade though, right?. I mean, if Moylan is so obviously inferior.

The simple fact of the matter is that we are adding a heavily penalized, terrible defender to an already ill-disciplined, poor tackling side - exactly how is that a good thing? Not to mention the fact that he is five years older than Moylan and on his way to retirement.

You’ve never rated Moylan, I get it. Its always been “He’s a question mark at 6” for others as well. But the reason why he is a question mark still at 26 is because our numpty coach refused to play him there until it was completely impossible not to, and then Moylan got injured.

The simple fact is Moylan obviously can’t stand Griffin and wants out. If he’s not putting in off the field and is being a disruptive influence, then we are probably right to let him go for that reason. But on purely footballing terms, we are getting the shit end of the deal.

franklin2323

Immortal
Explain how he has taken the piss out of the club.

The only negative shit going around is 100% media driven. Even if its all true he hasn't said or done shit to blow the story up.

He might have been a poor captain for us (although we have made the finals both years he has been captain). But he has been among our best players everytime he has taken the field and thats the most important part of his job.

On the field maybe but off the field different

franklin2323

Immortal
Feeling sick about seeing Moylan run around in a Sharks jumper next year. I think he is going to kill it.

It will end in tears. Someone in the know listed all the off field antics his been upto. Around Fifita and Dugan that will just get worse we dodged a bullet.

On field too. He has played a handful of games as a half now needs to get used to a new coach players etc. We will finish higher than them next year.. 2019 who knows though

kinghippo

Juniors
No matter what it’s a loose loose situation for us.
We can preload the “ it’s going to take time to gel phrase for the rest of next season”

If Moylan stays the coach speculation will not go away, every loss the media will mention the tension and turmoil in the club.

If he goes we get maybe 1 good season out of Maloney.

I don’t love Maloney as a player but he isn’t crap, hopefully if this does eventuate it’s for 2 years while transitioning May long term.

The media will hype the players have been divided since Moylan left, player unrest etc etc

That type of crap really does hurt a team.

The Peachy, Cartwright,RCG etc etc to follow Moylan stories will start up next.
If anyone else wants to go they may as well let them go now while we have depth to cover.

We could probably cope with loosing a few 2nd rowers and maybe a centre, or could sign more depth if we get the opportunity early.

No matter what we will be very close to being a club players don’t want to join again.

This has been poorly handled by our club.
All trust in the information they give their fans is gone, Gus can’t dig his way out of this crap with reputation in tact.

IF it’s not all media speculation.

franklin2323

Immortal
No matter what it’s a loose loose situation for us.
We can preload the “ it’s going to take time to gel phrase for the rest of next season”

If Moylan stays the coach speculation will not go away, every loss the media will mention the tension and turmoil in the club.

If he goes we get maybe 1 good season out of Maloney.

I don’t love Maloney as a player but he isn’t crap, hopefully if this does eventuate it’s for 2 years while transitioning May long term.

The media will hype the players have been divided since Moylan left, player unrest etc etc

That type of crap really does hurt a team.

The Peachy, Cartwright,RCG etc etc to follow Moylan stories will start up next.
If anyone else wants to go they may as well let them go now while we have depth to cover.

We could probably cope with loosing a few 2nd rowers and maybe a centre, or could sign more depth if we get the opportunity early.

No matter what we will be very close to being a club players don’t want to join again.

This has been poorly handled by our club.
All trust in the information they give their fans is gone, Gus can’t dig his way out of this crap with reputation in tact.

IF it’s not all media speculation.

How do we know Moylan's off field wasn't behind our poor early season form? Maybe this will lift the players we certainly didn't seem to miss him when he didn't play

When the Western Weekender has a Penrith Story it is 100% certain

Hawkins

Juniors
Also if Maloney leaves the sharks I can cheer for him again.

Always have a soft spot for Penrith.

By the way Storm, warriors, roosters, sharks, penrith in 10 years. Is James Maloney a wanker?

isaiah

Bench
Also if Maloney leaves the sharks I can cheer for him again.

Always have a soft spot for Penrith.

By the way Storm, warriors, roosters, sharks, penrith in 10 years. Is James Maloney a wanker?
Shouldn't that say he is a winner.

I think the general feeling amongst us Panthers fans is that we were all hoping that Moylan would become the home-grown player to lead us to premiership glory in the same way Alexander, Fittler and Gower did in '91 & '03.

Whilst it's disappointing that this imminent player swap is happening, all isn't lost. As a couple of posters pointed out, the team didn't fold and curl up in a ball when Moylan was out with injury/time out during this season. The addition of Maloney, whilst not ideal, is certainly not a backwards step for the team. Three GF appearances in the last 6 or so years is no fluke, and from my observations, he played a large role in all of those appearances. It isn't like we're swapping Moylan over for a Will Smith.

I honestly don't know if the reports are true about Moylan being a poor trainer and a slacker at rehab but if that's the case, then he's free to go.

But good luck to Moylan if he is indeed leaving. Thanks for the years of great matches and exciting clutch plays.