What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett

betcats

Referee
didn't know that

and they thought he could replace a premiership winning coach

We had Brennan and Barret as assistants, Brennan has a number of successful seasons as head coach under his belt including back to back prems with our NYC and nsw cup sides and Barret has one season as head coach far as I know and he missed the 8 with that NYC side and manly hired Barret, can't help but feel Gus has sold them a lemon. Why would they hire the least successful of another teams assistants? Brennan has been hunting an nrl gig for a while so I'm sure he was willing.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Can't help but to think that Bozo (the self-proclaimed emperor of Brookie) is the basis of a lot of Moanly's woes. As a Sharks fan I have a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Manly struggle and hope Barrett at least sees out the season for a few more lols. Any truth to the old rumor that Bozo is gunning for Scott Fulton as the next coach at Manly? Must say they're starting to reek of an old boys club like the Dragons.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Can't help but to think that Bozo (the self-proclaimed emperor of Brookie) is the basis of a lot of Moanly's woes. As a Sharks fan I have a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Manly struggle and hope Barrett at least sees out the season for a few more lols. Any truth to the old rumor that Bozo is gunning for Scott Fulton as the next coach at Manly? Must say they're starting to reek of an old boys club like the Dragons.

Fulton is (with his fat mate) definitely the major issue at the club.

Scott Fulton will never get the gig. Penn might have his issues but even he would not be stupid enough to replace a rookie coach with another rookie coach.

I hope (if Barrett goes as seems inevitable) that Cleary gets the gig.

Please no Hasler back.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Forget Barrett. How capable are the playing personnel?

There have been major injury issues at the club the past few seasons, but there is talent there.

And as I said, Fulton is the major issue. He has done the hiring and firing. There in lies the issue.

ed-grimley

Bench
There have been major injury issues at the club the past few seasons, but there is talent there.

And as I said, Fulton is the major issue. He has done the hiring and firing. There in lies the issue.
Manly have had more than their share of useless forwards - Horo was a good example.

simmo05

Bench
Funny last year when the media were loving Bozo for rebuilding Manly with a side that can make top 4. Bozo said himself it's a top 8 side also said Barrett is the next big thing in coaching.
Hadley and Buzz went very quiet quickly too afraid of the big Bonzo. If it was any other club Barrett would of been sacked by now.

Not the tigers mate, he would get a 3 year extension

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well, they have had some decent backs in recent times but often they were let down by forwards who couldn't match it with better packs - my impression anyway.

Yeah the forwards need some bolstering for sure. And weekend just passed had the clubs 4 props out.

Take the first 4 props out of any NRL team and I'd be stunned if any won.

But the bottom line is Barrett has his neck on the chopping block as the club will not tolerate more losses.

I feel for Barrett though as he is having to play the hand that Fulton has dealt him. Not saying Barrett is likely to be the next Bellamy, but he has had no chance.

ed-grimley

Bench
Yeah the forwards need some bolstering for sure. And weekend just passed had the clubs 4 props out.

Take the first 4 props out of any NRL team and I'd be stunned if any won.

But the bottom line is Barrett has his neck on the chopping block as the club will not tolerate more losses.

I feel for Barrett though as he is having to play the hand that Fulton has dealt him. Not saying Barrett is likely to be the next Bellamy, but he has had no chance.
Fair enough.

Patorick

Staff member
To be fair, Steve Matai and Brett Stewart's injury retirements have decimated the salary cap for this season. Both will be counted on this years cap despite not playing or training. So, yeah, together with the injures to Darcy Lussick and Lloyd Perrett and the suspensions of Marty Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake, Manly are pretty much a four man team at the moment, no matter who the coach is. The Trbojevics, DCE and Dylan Walker are our only genuine attacking weapons, mark up on them and shut them down and the games over. This season, much like 2015 and 2016 is a right off pretty much already, but we as fans have to stick in there and support them as much as we can. We suck whole-heartily at the moment and it's not going to get much better anytime soon, but we still have to watch the games, buy the merch and sign up for memberships because it is easy to go for a team that usually wins. True fans are loyal to the team no matter how bad their defense is, how much of a mess is made at the ground after each game and how many losses you have to sit through. We will come good, be patient and loyal, have faith.

From an outsider looking in, Bob Fulton seems to be the root cause of the issues. He may be a legend of the club, but I really think he has past his used by date. He has had a hand in most of their major recruitment decisions, the hiring and firing of Manly's coaches. I mean can people remember the glowing write ups in the press leading into the 2016 season about how good Manly were going to be and how Bozo was the brains behind it all? Once 2016 started going pear shaped, no mention of Bozo in the press again.

I mean Fulton was "adviser" to the NSW Origin coach for how many years and yet NSW won 1 series in 8 years? That to me says it is time to move on from Bozo's line of thinking.

Barrett was "hand picked" by Fulton to be Manly's first grade coach, and unfortunately for Barrett, he's tied to Fulton as a result.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
From an outsider looking in, Bob Fulton seems to be the root cause of the issues. He may be a legend of the club, but I really think he has past his used by date. He has had a hand in most of their major recruitment decisions, the hiring and firing of Manly's coaches. I mean can people remember the glowing write ups in the press leading into the 2016 season about how good Manly were going to be and how Bozo was the brains behind it all? Once 2016 started going pear shaped, no mention of Bozo in the press again.

I mean Fulton was "adviser" to the NSW Origin coach for how many years and yet NSW won 1 series in 8 years? That to me says it is time to move on from Bozo's line of thinking.

Barrett was "hand picked" by Fulton to be Manly's first grade coach, and unfortunately for Barrett, he's tied to Fulton as a result.
Hand picked without fingers.

More of a fisting for the Manly supporters.