What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Wests Tigers are most vulnerable"

King Ben

Juniors
I wouldn't pay attention. Imagine if someone suggested kicking out his precious sharks a few years ago.

It's VERY rich for any Cronulla fan to suggest a Sydney side be scrapped, considering we were the posterboys for relocation talk over the past 10 years.

The NRL had their chance in '99 and it didn't work out. Too late now to start culling Sydney clubs.

Sydney will one day have less teams in the NRL, almost inevitable.

The loans from the NRL have to stop, teams need to be able to stand on their own two feet. So it's not surprising there's speculation given the tigers are one of the teams that have received a significant loan. (Yes I know they've paid it back)

For the time being it's clear the tigers are spread too thin. Games at three different venues in Sydney is ludicrous, at some point they've got to commit to an area.

I don't get how the people of Campbelltown are supposed to connect with a team that's based at concord, so either give up on Campbelltown or commit to it.

At some point there will be culling so it's up to all the Sydney teams to get their stuff in order.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think most agree the NRL should expand in the short term, with the main candidates being SE QLD-3 and Perth. I would say it is absolutely necessary for the long term health of the competition.

There are 2 ways to achieve this, relocation or adding 2 new teams.

I prefer to add 2 new teams. However, while there are 9 Sydney teams, the relocation idea will always hang over the NRL. Even at 18 teams, the debate will just move to how to include NZ-2, Adelaide, SEQLD-4...etc.

If I run a club, I'm conscious of this. If the NRL or ever turns the screws on a tight Sydney market (a return of the 'criteria', or even loosening the salary cap), I don't want to be the club to go.

A lot of people would point to the Roosters as one of the weak links, due to crowds or juniors. I'd say that no fans can be easily proven as a myth, and the club's investments in Central Coast juniors suggests active steps to counter the latter. Also that local juniors have little relevance in the viability of a professional sports team.

Another (un)popular one is the Sharks. I believe recent on-field success and more importantly their property developments have them in the clear for the foreseeable future.

It's worth noting that any of this can change in a very short period, and I'm not trying to attack any club here - boardrooms can rapidly shift, financial problems with them, and on-field form is the single biggest factor in Sydney crowds swinging.

But if the NRL were to look at a 'criteria' right now, 3 clubs stand out to me as vulnerable. I don't believe they should be forced to do anything but I hope their leaders are ensuring they have a strong position in the future should push come to shove in Sydney.

1) Wests Tigers.
Off-field form has hurt their crowds but 6k is an outlier - their average remains middle of the road for Sydney, if towards the lower end.
The bigger issue is the lack of a clear 'home'. The 4-4-4 home ground split spreads them too thin and I believe hurts fan engagement.
They need to decide what they represent and host the majority(I'd say 8) of their games at either Campbeltown or the new Parra (ANZ in the meantime is fair). Leichhardt's days of hosting first grade are limited and the region is not the Rugby League heartland it once was. If Campbeltown is not seen as adequate as a majority home ground then they need to find some other way to promote themselves and engage fans in the area.

Think of it this way - if you're gonna relocate someone, why not the mob who don't have a proper home to begin with?

2) Manly.
Management infighting is a recurring theme but the key for them is Brookvale. An antagonistic council charges them through the nose and long promised upgrades from various levels of government are yet to eventuate. With the 3 central stadiums getting major upgrade Brookvale only falls further behind the benchmark. Hopefully the Lottoland sponsorship results in the new stand getting over the line. Gosford has to be at least a back-up plan for Manly. Moving up the coast would give them immunity should the NRL ever decide it wants to push someone interstate.

3) St George.
Less so than the other 2 due to a stronger brand and more stable backroom but similar home ground problems to the Tigers which infuriates their existing fans and makes it difficult to get Wollongong fully engaged. The 3 way split is unsatisfying to everyone and the NRL loan still hangs over them.

Addressing these issues with a greater focus on Campbeltown, Gosford and Wollongong + other clubs taking games interstate or to the bush would take a lot of sting out of the 'too many Sydney teams' arguments and give clubs a stronger footing should the NRL try to force the issue. They're too conservative currently to try, but leadership and circumstance can change.

Last edited:
Why are the tigers so committed to concord as a training base? Seems so much more upside to being based at Campbelltown. Is it just so the Balmain fans don't get annoyed?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Sydney will one day have less teams in the NRL, almost inevitable.

For the time being it's clear the tigers are spread too thin. Games at three different venues in Sydney is ludicrous, at some point they've got to commit to an area.

I don't get how the people of Campbelltown are supposed to connect with a team that's based at concord, so either give up on Campbelltown or commit to it.

At some point there will be culling so it's up to all the Sydney teams to get their stuff in order.

I don't think it matters much where they play their games... Whenever they are even going mid table their crowds have been amongst Sydney's best since 2000...

Problem is that they make the 8 on average once every 6 years... That won't cut it these days to get people to the games, not when every game is live on the box with no ads...

If they can get on field consistency and make the finals a few years in a row (like the Sharks are doing) they will be fine...

Big if though the way they look at the moment..

I don't think it matters much where they play their games... Whenever they are even going mid table their crowds have been amongst Sydney's best since 2000...

Problem is that they make the 8 on average once every 6 years... That won't cut it these days to get people to the games, not when every game is live on the box with no ads...

If they can get on field consistency and make the finals a few years in a row (like the Sharks are doing) they will be fine...

Big if though the way they look at the moment..

I hear what you're saying but you've got to plan for the tough times as well. To me a team that's spread as thinly as the tigers are going to suffer even more in the tough times.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I hear what you're saying but you've got to plan for the tough times as well. To me a team that's spread as thinly as the tigers are going to suffer even more in the tough times.

Could be a good point...

I would like to see them punt ANZ and play some games at Parra when built... Maybe have a half and half with Cambo.. The problem is if you make that permanent it always feels like you are playing at someone else's home ground though at Parra... .

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Tigers are heading into a new era next year and onwards. Virtually a brand new squad, a new centre of excellence worth 57 million and a strong board (all from next year onwards obviously) yet the media want to continue making us their scapegoat.

Is that the concord redevelopment? I didnt realise that had been accepted.

There is a lot WTs have left to do to fix up their club model, but leaving Sydney is pretty extreme for a club with so much local potential

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It was souths in the mid 90s
Then it was the sharks in the early 10s
Now it's tigers.
Will probably be eagles turn after that.

TBF Souths were kicked out of the comp and Sharks did come pretty close to the brink...

Bringing them up actually gives more credibility to the rumour.