What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Wests Tigers are most vulnerable"

BuffaloRules

Coach
TBF Souths were kicked out of the comp and Sharks did come pretty close to the brink...

Bringing them up actually gives more credibility to the rumour.

Could the Tigers take legal action like Souths did?

Wests Ashfield have some deep pockets to fund it..

Would a precedent apply?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think most agree the NRL should expand in the short term, with the main candidates being SE QLD-3 and Perth. I would say it is absolutely necessary for the long term health of the competition.

There are 2 ways to achieve this, relocation or adding 2 new teams.

I prefer to add 2 new teams. However, while there are 9 Sydney teams, the relocation idea will always hang over the NRL. Even at 18 teams, the debate will just move to how to include NZ-2, Adelaide, SEQLD-4...etc.

If I run a club, I'm conscious of this. If the NRL or ever turns the screws on a tight Sydney market (a return of the 'criteria', or even loosening the salary cap), I don't want to be the club to go.

A lot of people would point to the Roosters as one of the weak links, due to crowds or juniors. I'd say that no fans can be easily proven as a myth, and the club's investments in Central Coast juniors suggests active steps to counter the latter. Also that local juniors have little relevance in the viability of a professional sports team.

Another (un)popular one is the Sharks. I believe recent on-field success and more importantly their property developments have them in the clear for the foreseeable future.

It's worth noting that any of this can change in a very short period, and I'm not trying to attack any club here - boardrooms can rapidly shift, financial problems with them, and on-field form is the single biggest factor in Sydney crowds swinging.

But if the NRL were to look at a 'criteria' right now, 3 clubs stand out to me as vulnerable. I don't believe they should be forced to do anything but I hope their leaders are ensuring they have a strong position in the future should push come to shove in Sydney.

1) Wests Tigers.
Off-field form has hurt their crowds but 6k is an outlier - their average remains middle of the road for Sydney, if towards the lower end.
The bigger issue is the lack of a clear 'home'. The 4-4-4 home ground split spreads them too thin and I believe hurts fan engagement.
They need to decide what they represent and host the majority(I'd say 8) of their games at either Campbeltown or the new Parra (ANZ in the meantime is fair). Leichhardt's days of hosting first grade are limited and the region is not the Rugby League heartland it once was. If Campbeltown is not seen as adequate as a majority home ground then they need to find some other way to promote themselves and engage fans in the area.

Think of it this way - if you're gonna relocate someone, why not the mob who don't have a proper home to begin with?

2) Manly.
Management infighting is a recurring theme but the key for them is Brookvale. An antagonistic council charges them through the nose and long promised upgrades from various levels of government are yet to eventuate. With the 3 central stadiums getting major upgrade Brookvale only falls further behind the benchmark. Hopefully the Lottoland sponsorship results in the new stand getting over the line. Gosford has to be at least a back-up plan for Manly. Moving up the coast would give them immunity should the NRL ever decide it wants to push someone interstate.

3) St George.
Less so than the other 2 due to a stronger brand and more stable backroom but similar home ground problems to the Tigers which infuriates their existing fans and makes it difficult to get Wollongong fully engaged. The 3 way split is unsatisfying to everyone and the NRL loan still hangs over them.

Addressing these issues with a greater focus on Campbeltown, Gosford and Wollongong + other clubs taking games interstate or to the bush would take a lot of sting out of the 'too many Sydney teams' arguments and give clubs a stronger footing should the NRL try to force the issue. They're too conservative currently to try, but leadership and circumstance can change.

Well said...

Wests - If they what to maintain a presence in Leichhardt, that is where their CoE should be (What has concord got to do with anything?). Play most games out of ANZ/Parra with some going down to CTwn.

Manly - Should probably grab CC before Roosters do. Neither of these teams will need a full relocation, but a Dragons-style split would boast their crowds and grow the fan base.

Dragons - It is a shame they can join with Cronulla for a decent South Syndey stadium, but crossing the Georges River is likely a bridge too far. Wollongong should be their long-term focus as Kogarah deteriorates.

Id also say: Panthers should be looking at a few big games at the new Parra stadium, Roosters should be looking at CC.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I live in Manly but don't support them...

They won't be taking half their games to the Central Coast ( again)...

Diesel

Referee
Why not move the Tigers to Campbelltown and Dragons to the 'gong, play 2 games each at either ANZ/SFS and that gets 7.5 Sydney teams and problem solved

_Johnsy

Referee
If anyone was vulnerable, I would have suggested that it's the Gold Cast 6th time luckies.

M2D2

Bench
The tigers are a rabble and have been for over a decade and its only gotten worse with their infighting back of house.
Of course they are the most vulnerable Sydney team.
Only the most one eyed tigpies fan cant see that.

Knightmare

Coach
I read this article today for the laughs.

Isn't it funny how, 7 or 8 years ago when Cronulla were struggling, not a peep from Buzz about any of this?

Now Sharks are the reigning Premiers and have the land approval so suddenly he's like "Let's cut this and this and this and this team!"

I'm yet to hear from a single person on these message boards or in real life who would support the 2nd Brisbane team- as in, buy merchandise, season tickets and go to games...

The Bombers is nothing more than a piss-weak, soulless Broncos clone with f**k all history. Give Redcliffe the nod.

Clifferd

Coach
The tigers are a rabble and have been for over a decade and its only gotten worse with their infighting back of house.

Behind the scenes we are fine. I'm absolutely sure of it

On-field however, well look for yourself

The point is absolutely no team deserves to get booted out of the competition, especially a branded team such as the Wests tigers who have a stronghold in the most prestigious west.

I have no doubt once we generate success on the field we will be a powerhouse and pull 20k average crowds

In 2005 when we finished top 4 there was also 2 other big Sydney teams there. Us, Eels and Dragons...guess who got the highest crowd average? Yep, the tigers

Even in 2010 and 11 we generated in the top 2 for crowd averages for Sydney teams

We need on field success.

Last edited:

Showtime

Juniors
His article is usual hack slop, but it brings up one good point - the need for a 2nd team in Brisbane. The Commission is a disgrace for letting this slide. We have the Lions and Reds at their most vulnerable and we do nothing. The time is right NOW for a 2nd Brisbane team.

The same opportunity also exists in Perth with the Force most likely getting axed from the Super Rugby comp. There's an opportunity to cash in on the decline of rugby union in this country especially in Qld as you've already mentioned.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Given that Wests Ashfield now own 75% of the joint venture as opposed to the old 50/50 split, they are probably more settled than ever...

M2D2

Bench
Behind the scenes we are fine. I'm absolutely sure of it

On-field however, well look for yourself

The point is absolutely no team deserves to get booted out of the competition, especially a branded team such as the Wests tigers who have a stronghold in the most prestigious west.

I have no doubt once we generate success on the field we will be a powerhouse and pull 20k average crowds
Who are you kidding?
Everyone knows your dual boards have been in fighting for years. Until Wests Ashfield owns 100% of the joint venture youre still going to have old tribal problems.

Ive never subscribed to the removal of ANY sydney club to make way for another club elsewhere.
But if you cant face facts that its your back of house thats needed a clean out for quite some time which has made your club a dumpster fire, on field and off and first neck on the chopping block.
Then you are one eyed, especially after the 20k average line, you are NEVER getting 20K averages while playing at C-town and Liechy.

Cronulla was in this position so very recently so things can change. But you are the most vulnerable at the moment

Vozzy

Juniors
So coming last is a reason to say tigers should be the sydney team to get kicked out. So if this was 2014 do we kick out the sharks. They were probably in same position getting same crowds only won 5 games and had a year of players taking drugs the following.

The tiger brand is really markable to me aswell. On feild results will fix crowd and member numbers. We need to find another benji Marshall in terms of having a player we can advertise put bums on seats and have kids wanting to be a west tiger. I reckon we have gone downhill since losing him.

Clifferd

Coach
Who are you kidding?
Everyone knows your dual boards have been in fighting for years. Until Wests Ashfield owns 100% of the joint venture youre still going to have old tribal problems.

Ive never subscribed to the removal of ANY sydney club to make way for another club elsewhere.
But if you cant face facts that its your back of house thats needed a clean out for quite some time which has made your club a dumpster fire, on field and off and first neck on the chopping block.
Then you are one eyed, especially after the 20k average line, you are NEVER getting 20K averages while playing at C-town and Liechy.

Cronulla was in this position so very recently so things can change. But you are the most vulnerable at the moment

Wests Ashfield own majority so we are fine in that department as of now and I'm not sure if you are aware but maybe the richest man in Australia has something to do with the Tigers...

ffs this is where people twist stories - yes we've had terrible, terrible management in the past but we have since ridden that and brought in an entire new board (yes, a complete rebuild from the bottom to the very top)

We will battle out this year then come out next year basically a brand new football team with all the right tools to build a competitive future.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who are you kidding?

Wests Ashfield could have acquired 100% last year if they wanted too..

AJB1102

First Grade
Isn't it funny how, 7 or 8 years ago when Cronulla were struggling, not a peep from Buzz about any of this?

Now Sharks are the reigning Premiers and have the land approval so suddenly he's like "Let's cut this and this and this and this team!"

To be fair mate while Buzz (from memory) wasn't completely towing that line about Cronulla, the slack was well and truly taken up by the likes of Wilson and others. The agenda was strong and the pressure was real.

Regardless of the team its disgusting these pricks at a newspaper (read up on the Dodo Bird to see where they're headed) can churn this tripe out year after year with the same stench to the article and only the team they're gunning for to change. Worst of all its lapped up and given any credibility.

Clifferd

Coach
So coming last is a reason to say tigers should be the sydney team to get kicked out. So if this was 2014 do we kick out the sharks. They were probably in same position getting same crowds only won 5 games and had a year of players taking drugs the following.

The tiger brand is really markable to me aswell. On feild results will fix crowd and member numbers. We need to find another benji Marshall in terms of having a player we can advertise put bums on seats and have kids wanting to be a west tiger. I reckon we have gone downhill since losing him.

Tedesco really could have been the face of the Wests Tigers if he stayed and we had successs to follow suite - such a shame

Latest posts