What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QLD bid would you pick ?

Which current QLD bid would you go for ?

• Brothers

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Redcliffe Dolphins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Western Corridor

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Brisbane Bombers

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every fortnight. Yes. Its a big event. Just like they travel even longer distances for the Cowboys games. The Northern Brisbane Dolphins scenario is my gut feel. Perhaps the Moreton Bay Dolphins if that covers all the areas in the northern area of Brisbane and surrounds ?

Yet the argument for Sydney clubs to move to far superior stadiums is it wouldn’t work due to travel distances?

Manly - allianz 19km
Penrith - western Sydney stadium 33km
Cronulla - allianz 30km

What makes you think ipswich or Redcliffe fans are different to Sydney fans in this regard?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Re more encompassing names maybe the north coast dolphins? Could then be relevant to a large swaithe of population

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the NRL seriously wanted an old brand to represent the polar opposite of the Broncos then there's really only one they should go with, Fortitude Valley Diehards, they basically represent everything that was great about the old BRL, they are basically Brisbanes' answer to the great teams of past generations encapsulated into one club, and it's a very unique brand.

Though there isn't a Valleys bid or anything of the sort the NRL should manufacture it themselves if they want to go down that route, cause if you're banking on the brand and feeling of the club being more traditional, etc, as apposed to the Broncos corporate behemoth image then you may as well use the best example of that possible and in the case of Brisbane that is the Diehards.

But personally I don't think that going down the route of old brands is necessarily the best idea, cause everything has it's positive and negatives and the negatives of being associated with an old club that more people hated then loved (which is the case for basically all the old BRL clubs) and an old region that isn't representative of the new areas that the club is trying to represent isn't necessarily the best thing, some times it's much better to come up with a new brand that is relevant and unique to the region and I think in this case that is probably the best way to go cause their are two sides to history and irrevocably connecting yourself to an old club comes with negatives that probably would only be bad in the case of Brisbane.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I really like the idea of the brothers bid & their connection to a whole bunch of established clubs. Really sets them apart from the Broncos.

Would be my favoured bid.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/01/five-queensland-based-bid-teams-in-nrl-expansion-race/

On paper it's a great bid, but not so much practically...

They're spreading themselves to thin, trying to be everything to everyone, inevitably they'll end up with infighting as one area feels that they are underrepresented compared to other areas, and they'll end up either just falling back into Brisbane and failing to really represent anybody.

They also rely way to much on Brothers juniors and leagues club members holding their allegiances to them first and being willing to jump on their NRL team cause of that, which broadly speaking is unrealistic, especially in the short term.

On paper it's a great bid, but not so much practically...

They're spreading themselves to thin, trying to be everything to everyone, inevitably they'll end up with infighting as one area feels that they are underrepresented compared to other areas, and they'll end up either just falling back into Brisbane and failing to really represent anybody.

They also rely way to much on Brothers juniors and leagues club members holding their allegiances to them first and being willing to jump on their NRL team cause of that, which broadly speaking is unrealistic, especially in the short term.

To me the best way around that would be basing themselves centrally from the start and simply being The Brisbane Brothers.

I don’t see why that’d be any thinner than the broncos, but they’d still have a point of difference in being more of a members club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
To me the best way around that would be basing themselves centrally from the start and simply being The Brisbane Brothers.

That defeats the whole purpose of everything that is unique and interesting about the bid...
It's completely antithetical to everything that they claim they want to do and everything that they are about...

They plan for Brisbane to be their base of operations, but it's not their target market or audience, their target market and audience is Brothers members all over the country.

I don’t see why that’d be any thinner than the broncos, but they’d still have a point of difference in being more of a members club.

You do realise that the Brothers want to play up to half their home games each year outside of Brisbane right?! They want to play games at any Brothers club home city/town, so all over Queensland and maybe even a few games in NSW or Darwin from time to time (they specifically name Wagga as a target market for the future, if they can get the necessary facilities built in Wagga).
Though I can't find the posts now (to be fair they're all a few years old now), they've even suggested that they'd play games in places like Townsville, North Sydney, and Penrith from time to time to connect with the Brothers clubs in those places...

I mean just read through some of their material on their website-http://www.brothersfc.com.au/

Or specifically at their bid plan- http://www.brothersfc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Bid-Doc.pdf

Some of the stuff in the bid plan is just plan delusional, like claiming that they have a global IP that is represented by and connected to all sorts of different brands and things that organisationally they themselves are completely unconnected to, the most ridiculous examples being the Boston Celtics and Notre Dame Fighting Irish...

There's a lot that is very interesting about the Brothers bid (particularly the idea of a club based not on a geographical area but a giant multi-regional juniors structure and club system), but practically it's an insane undertaking that would fall to shit at any one of millions of hurdles.

That defeats the whole purpose of everything that is unique and interesting about the bid...
It's completely antithetical to everything that they claim they want to do and everything that they are about...

They plan for Brisbane to be their base of operations, but it's not their target market or audience, their target market and audience is Brothers members all over the country.

You do realise that the Brothers want to play up to half their home games each year outside of Brisbane right?! They want to play games at any Brothers club home city/town, so all over Queensland and maybe even a few games in NSW or Darwin from time to time (they specifically name Wagga as a target market for the future, if they can get the necessary facilities built in Wagga).
Though I can't find the posts now (to be fair they're all a few years old now), they've even suggested that they'd play games in places like Townsville, North Sydney, and Penrith from time to time to connect with the Brothers clubs in those places...

I mean just read through some of their material on their website-http://www.brothersfc.com.au/

Or specifically at their bid plan- http://www.brothersfc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Bid-Doc.pdf

Some of the stuff in the bid plan is just plan delusional, like claiming that they have a global IP that is represented by and connected to all sorts of different brands and things that organisationally they themselves are completely unconnected to, the most ridiculous examples being the Boston Celtics and Notre Dame Fighting Irish...

There's a lot that is very interesting about the Brothers bid (particularly the idea of a club based not on a geographical area but a giant multi-regional juniors structure and club system), but practically it's an insane undertaking that would fall to shit at any one of millions of hurdles.

Didn’t realise they wanted to play their games all over, that’s silly. They seem to be saying 4-6 games outside of Brisbane, that’s definitely too much. 2 could work though. But then there’s the issue of which brothers locations get a game.

In general I like the idea of a members based club though, as you suggested it may need the NRL to set it up like the western Sydney wanderers were.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Didn’t realise they wanted to play their games all over, that’s silly. They seem to be saying 4-6 games outside of Brisbane, that’s definitely too much. 2 could work though. But then there’s the issue of which brothers locations get a game.

To be fair we don't know if it would or wouldn't work, it's never been tried and nothing even remotely similar has been tried (as far as I know), and it may very well work and if it did it'd be the biggest sports club in the southern hemisphere bar none, but IMO it's more likely that it wouldn't work, and though it is a novel idea and an interesting proposition that should be considered in it's own rights, the Brothers club structure isn't what we want for a second Brisbane club, as they have no intention of being a Brisbane club.

So yeah I wouldn't throw the Brothers bid out, I just wouldn't consider it a "Brisbane bid", or a bid for any specific region either, and just BTW their plan would never work if they were only taking a couple of games on the road a year, if anything long term they'd need to take more out of Brisbane, which though as far as I know they haven't stated that is their plan, I think that it is.

In general I like the idea of a members based club though, as you suggested it may need the NRL to set it up like the western Sydney wanderers were.

I mean there are positives and negatives to every club business model and/or structure, I'm not particularly attached to any particular one, in some cases a members based club is better, sometimes a corporate club is better, sometimes a privately owned and operated club is better, etc, etc, but if the NRL wanted a traditional members based club for the NRL in Brisbane then yeah they'd almost certainly have to manufacture it themselves cause no such club that represents a significantly large portion of the city exists, and even if you did change the Ipswich Jets or Dolphins names to represent a larger portion of the city they'd still be Ipswich and Redcliffe and they'd still favour and focus on Ipswich and Redcliffe cause that is how their clubs are structured and designed to operate and I doubt that they have any real will to change those facts, just as Manly isn't interested in seriously attempting to adopt the rest of North Sydney, you could change their name to the NS Sea Eagles, that in of it's self doesn't make them a NS club.

I could go on but I think you get the basic ideas.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
Purely on name, colours and geographical,difference to broncos the SQ Jets sounds te best. Now if they have the big money and corporate support behind them is another matter. And similiar issue to Redcliffe, Ipswich is 45km ish and Logan even further from Suncorp stadium, would the fanbase in that area travel to Suncorp for games?
The Ipswich line stops at Milton/Lang Park on its way to the city.

Stallion

First Grade
Yet the argument for Sydney clubs to move to far superior stadiums is it wouldn’t work due to travel distances?

Manly - allianz 19km
Cronulla - allianz 30km

What makes you think ipswich or Redcliffe fans are different to Sydney fans in this regard?

Very different geography for a start. I can only speak of Sydney but anyone going over or under the Harbour bridge has to negotiate travelling issues and time constraints. IT'S VERY DIFFERENT TRAVELLING IN SYDNEY!

jim_57

Staff member
Very different geography for a start. I can only speak of Sydney but anyone going over or under the Harbour bridge has to negotiate travelling issues and time constraints. IT'S VERY DIFFERENT TRAVELLING IN SYDNEY!

Maybe the road names are different but the concept is much the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe the road names are different but the concept is much the same.

No apparently it’s very different, they have a bridge and a tunnel. Unique features of travelling in Sydney not seen anywhere else lol

johnny plath

Juniors

Manly - allianz 19km
Cronulla - allianz 30km

the difference is that people living in Redcliffe and Ipswich are already accustomed to making that journey to watch NRL football, so they don't have that mindset of entitlement that says I must be able to attend a game in my backyard. I travel train from Sunny Coast to Suncorp, its full all the way to Caboolture, which is within the Moreton Bay region, so its not a new experience, and people probably more enticed if they're supporting their local team. Never travelled to Ipswich after a game, but a lot of people head for Milton station, which is the ipswich line so am assuming its similar.

johnny plath

Juniors
Purely on name, colours and geographical,difference to broncos the SQ Jets sounds te best. Now if they have the big money and corporate support behind them is another matter. And similiar issue to Redcliffe, Ipswich is 45km ish and Logan even further from Suncorp stadium, would the fanbase in that area travel to Suncorp for games?
not being picky, just helpful, but your distances are a bit off PR. Logan to Suncorp is around 30 km and only a 30min drive, similar on train. Don't know about the new Redcliffe train line, but a drive from Redcliffe to Suncorp is no big deal either, still only a 40ish minute drive.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes which is an issue. There is no doubt that the best existing clubs would be Ipswich and Redcliffe - both are not Brisbane and both would alienate their fan bases to an extent if they played out of Suncorp. The best future options would be Logan, Redcliffe and Ipswich without a doubt but I think for now we need a city rival for the Broncos - Brisbane whatevers playing out of Suncorp. My preference would be QRL owned to give it a community feel. Redcliffe, Ipswich or Logan would be ideal as QLD 5 much, much further down the track playing out of their own botique ground.

I think you and I have discussed it before but a QRL / NSW merge back in 1988 to form the ARL comp would have been a much better option:

Balmain
Canberra
Canterbury
Cronulla
Easts (Roosters)
Illawarra
Manly
Norths
Parramatta
Penrith
Souths
St George
Wests (Magpies)
Redcliffe
Ipswich
East Brisbane (or probably just Brisbane Tigers)

North QLD, Newcastle, Perth & Auckland added in 1995 for 20 teams
Wests & Balmain, Saints & Illawarra, Norths & Manly merge in 1998, Melbourne added to give us 18 teams

Once Norths went belly up in the Northern Eagles merge - they form a joint venture with Burleigh Bears and Gold Coast Bears are added in 2007 along with Adelaide.

Today that would give us:
North QLD Cowboys (Townsville)
Redcliffe Dolphins (Dolphin Oval redeveloped to 20k)
Brisbane Tigers (Suncorp)
Ipswich Jets (Ipswich botique stadium 20k)
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Bears (Robina)
Newcastle Knights
Manly
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sharks
St George Illawarra Dragons
Wests Tigers
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Rams
Perth Reds / Pirates

The comp would be maxed out at 20 teams but we would need to find a spot in the future for NZ 2 - by relegating any underperforming team to NSW/QLD Cup or relocation.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Manly - allianz 19km
Cronulla - allianz 30km

Because no RL club or tradition matters outside of Sydney according to Stallion.

Manly - allianz 19km
Cronulla - allianz 30km

Time, not distances.

Anyone who just says 19km for manly without thinking it’s a big deal has never properly traversed military road. Ditto for shire residents travelling over Tom Ugly’s and up the princes hwy.

Now if the northern beaches gets the proposed tunnel below military road then we’re talking a whole new ballgame.