What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

Stallion

First Grade
I'm deflecting??? This was your ACTUAL statement

I asked for proof of this and you, as expected provided none. You are a liar and you should be the one who is ashamed. I have nothing at all to be ashamed about, I'm not a 100 year old Frenchman or South African.. and unlike you I am also not a liar.
I note you keep going back to your initial complaint that I stated rugby league is barred outside of Auckland? I have measured this statement that rugby league is discriminated against which does add up given that you allude to "sporadic" competition as opposed to a reliable established competition for young student Kiwis.
You have amazed me by you childish rebuke of those very telltale articles I have sent . Two of those articles are reasonably recent . The South African article in 2013 and the France 2 article in the early 2000s. You have ignored this information.

You are pathetic. Keep wallowing in you rugby union biased head as the truth will come out eventually but then again sometimes the truth doesn't matter as we have just seen in your responses. Not even an inkling of how unfair those situations are in South Africa? You are a shameful but reflective representation of the bigotry emanating out of the RU code and still have the lack of decency to be involved in a rugby league website. If I had control of this website I'd be sacking you real quick!

And that's "Bye Bye" for me for a while. Think I might copy and paste some of your stuff. I've a few mates that would laugh at the crap you have come up with twisting and deflecting your way from what is a genuine sporting issue. "Right up yu! Te Wanker!!"

Roosters to win the best rugby competition on Earth and the Australian Kangaroos to win what will be an entertaining world cup!
PS: I may send you the NZ article if you are still allowed on this site down the track. But that's not a given ! Bit like the chance of rugby league being played in a school outside of Auckland. That's not given either!

Te Kaha

First Grade
I note you keep going back to your initial complaint that I stated rugby league is barred outside of Auckland? I have measured this statement that rugby league is discriminated against which does add up given that you allude to "sporadic" competition as opposed to a reliable established competition for young student Kiwis.

I'm glad you admit you lied. Now we are getting somewhere. its not much but it is a start

You have amazed me by you childish rebuke of those very telltale articles I have sent . Two of those articles are reasonably recent . The South African article in 2013 and the France 2 article in the early 2000s. You have ignored this information.
Which have nothing whatsoever to do with me, why should I be ashamed. You delusion is getting worse.

You are pathetic. Keep wallowing in you rugby union biased head as the truth will come out eventually but then again sometimes the truth doesn't matter as we have just seen in your responses. Not even an inkling of how unfair those situations are in South Africa?
I have not even commented on those situations. You're insane, reading things that aren't there.

You are a shameful but reflective representation of the bigotry emanating out of the RU code and still have the lack of decency to be involved in a rugby league website.
And of course you can provide a single post where I have been bigoted. No? Didn't think so. Another lie.

If I had control of this website I'd be sacking you real quick!
You don't. You wont ever. I know that eats away at you but what can you do...

And that's "Bye Bye" for me for a while. Think I might copy and paste some of your stuff. I've a few mates that would laugh at the crap you have come up with twisting and deflecting your way from what is a genuine sporting issue. "Right up yu! Te Wanker!!"

That's good.. go and crawl into your hole and nurse that bitter hatred you have. I hope it doesn't give you an ulcer.

PS: I may send you the NZ article if you are still allowed on this site down the track. But that's not a given ! Bit like the chance of rugby league being played in a school outside of Auckland. That's not given either!
Why don't you do that, I know I will be on this website a lot longer than you will be.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think relocation would do more harm than good unless you are talking about Dragons permanently to Woolloongong with a couple of heratige games in Sydney each year and a Sydney club to Gosford, again with a couple of heratige games in Sydney every year.

We have a team in WA. They are called the Pirates and I think that the NRL should use the recent NRL games in Perth, internationals and State of Origin to build the game to a point where the Pirates can enter the NRL off the back of the momentum.

I know the NRL have said that their expansion plans revolve around the second teir but I would imagine that the recent international, plus NRL matches plus the potential state of origin surely means that Perth is in their plans in a meaningful way in the future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't be so sure, the Internationals and Origin are only happening as the WA Govt threw millions at them to bring them here. NRL games only happen because the clubs decide to bring games here to make some money. Perth is the no brainer option IF they ever expand but as that is not even on the radar it is doubtful that the games played over the last 7 years have much to do with a long term strategy.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Simple answer is no for Perth. They are too far beyond accepting a relocation team.

The only time relocation can work would be if the club and state/city are wanting to do the deal. If roosters over a 10yr period increased there games in Adelaide to become a Adelaide roosters I think it could work. I'm just using this as an example. Don't cry rooster fans. Unless Both sides agree it won't/can't/shouldn't happen.

mongoose

Coach
There is really no standout Sydney team for relocation. People mention the Wests Tigers but the fact they are constantly shown on 9 despite them being a rabble means they are still very well supported and the NRL won't want to disenfranchise that sydney base.

The Sharks might have been ideal years ago but have really got their shit together recently.

Maybe Penrith is the best team to relocate? while keeping its feeder teams still in west sydney. They have the smallest supporter base and are hedged into that far west corner of sydney where no one wants to travel to or from...

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Tigers last year on the back of a mediocre (not their typical diabolical year like 2015 and 2017) had the highest Sydney crowd average....

If they could ever get it together and have a three year run at the top of the table like say Souffs did 2012-2014 or the Sharks are doing now I think they could push 20K average....

Diesel

Referee
What a load of shit this article is. Some random "ask the fans" turns into some newsworthy bullshit

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/023cb5a3d6b604682d7ea9ab18adad14

SIX out of ten rugby league fans think Sydney has too many teams.

And nearly four out of ten believe Wests Tigers should be relocated.

An exclusive Daily Telegraph online fans poll — where more than 9000 responders voted — showed conclusively that Sydney has too many clubs.

In fact, 63 per cent of fans agree Sydney has to shed clubs.

Sydney boasts nine clubs — which is more than half the NRL competition.

And fans were fairly adamant which team should be relocated — Wests Tigers.

Nearly 40 per cent of respondents think Wests Tigers is the most vulnerable club when it comes to possible relocation.

The Tigers were clear winners from Cronulla (17 per cent) and the Sydney Roosters (14 per cent).

In June this year, Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe issued a statement strongly denying his club would ever be relocated.

“Let’s get things straight. The Wests Tigers are not going anywhere,” Pascoe said.

“Our future is secure. We have a license agreement with the NRL that states the game is not entitled to direct or compel any club to relocate.

“As well as that the NRL cannot direct or compel any club to merge or enter into a joint venture, and cannot force the change of identity, logo, name or branding.”

Eleven per cent of fans think Canterbury should be relocated from Souths (nine per cent), St George Illawarra (six per cent) and Manly (five per cent.)

Parramatta and Penrith appear safe in the eyes of fans, attracting just one per cent of the vote when it came to relocation.

Fans were also vocal when asked how many teams should be located in Brisbane.

Nearly 70 per cent of respondents agree Brisbane could and should accommodate two clubs.

The Broncos may however disagree. And 31 per cent of fans think Brisbane should only have the Broncos.

NSW fans find it difficult to digest Sydney has nine competing clubs while the Broncos have a monopoly in Brisbane.

Sydney clubs continue to cannibalise each other in terms of crowds, sponsorship and membership.

RoosTah

Juniors
In spite of what they say, wests remain the best fit for relocation. They're still the biggest mess financially and politically. Add to that you don't really need to change much - just add in "coast" to their name and make the orange gold.

Moving the Panthers makes zero sense - they're too wealthy, well supported and well structured developmentally for that.

Other than that, St George should be full time in the Gong - it's a better stadium than Kogorah anyway and the game needs more help down there.

DC_fan

Coach
What a load of shit this article is. Some random "ask the fans" turns into some newsworthy bullshit

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/023cb5a3d6b604682d7ea9ab18adad14

SIX out of ten rugby league fans think Sydney has too many teams.

And nearly four out of ten believe Wests Tigers should be relocated.

An exclusive Daily Telegraph online fans poll — where more than 9000 responders voted — showed conclusively that Sydney has too many clubs.

In fact, 63 per cent of fans agree Sydney has to shed clubs.

What only 63 percent. It should be 100 percent of fans thinking that way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roosters to Gosford, dragons to Wollongong, Wests to Perth, second Brisbane club added. Sorted for next 10 yeas whilst they rebuild the game in Adelaide ready for later inclusion.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Frankly if we're going to move clubs based on popular vote and current finances alone it'd be a disaster.

You need to take into account the size of supporters base, the average age of the supporters base, average income of the supporters base and the average income of the potential new market, available facilities, average ratings for their games over an extended period of time, average crowds over an extended period relative to both the size of the supporters base and average viewership, merch sales, clicks, where the clicks are coming from as a percentage of the total, geography, future growth of both regions, where applicable the average investment from owners/leagues clubs/both in a year, the size of the region you're relocating to compared to the size of the clubs current region, marketing options in the new region, the cost of those marketing options, whether the club can afford those costs, whether their is a locally situated club that could cover the loss of the original club in the old market over time, etc, etc, etc.

Obviously nobody here has all the necessary information to make a clear decision on which clubs should be relocated, in fact I doubt anybody does as I doubt that anybody (least of all the NRL its self) has ever done the research necessary to be able to determine a sensible outcome from rationalisation, however I doubt that the Tigers would be a sensible option for a few big reasons-

1. Based on my experience I imagine that their average supporters age would be one of the lowest in the NRL as they are incredibly popular with kids.
2. Wests Magpies are in a relatively good position going forward to support them, even if Balmain go completely tits up.

In my opinion their popularity with the kids would save them as they're the most important demographic to any sports business for future growth, they'll save them for now any way, but again I could be completely wrong, because there may be something very negative about the club that the public doesn't know about that makes them a good option for relocation.

If I was going to pick clubs to relocate based on just the knowledge that I have (which I reiterate isn't nearly enough) it'd be either the Sharks or the Dragons and the Roosters or the Rabbitohs, mainly because those clubs share a market, the other club would be well positioned to cover the loss of the old club over time, and the corporate support for them would still have a local club to support.

I'd relocate at least one other club as well (maybe two), however I'm not sure which one, I do however know that the only Sydney club I certainly wouldn't relocate is Manly as they're the only club in the North and that is a market that the NRL needs to have a presence in, I would however force them to re-brand to a more inclusive North Sydney/North Shore brand, and force them to focus more on community engagement and marketing campaigns that target all of NS over mainly just Manly as well.

In spite of what they say, wests remain the best fit for relocation. They're still the biggest mess financially and politically. Add to that you don't really need to change much - just add in "coast" to their name and make the orange gold.

Moving the Panthers makes zero sense - they're too wealthy, well supported and well structured developmentally for that.

Other than that, St George should be full time in the Gong - it's a better stadium than Kogorah anyway and the game needs more help down there.

Not sure we're that well supported. But the panthers do have a lot of positives, growing area, wealth, huge juniors.

The club really needs a long term period of success on the field to really grow support. Not necessarily heaps of grand finals but regular finals appearances & competitivness.

Roosters to Gosford, dragons to Wollongong, Wests to Perth, second Brisbane club added. Sorted for next 10 yeas whilst they rebuild the game in Adelaide ready for later inclusion.

With that arrangement we would've completely abandoned inner Sydney & surrounds. Not sure that is a smart move.

The game needs to stay relevant to as many people in Sydney as possible.

Of course Sydney has too many teams but we need to be strategic about any relocations.

RoosTah

Juniors
Not sure we're that well supported. But the panthers do have a lot of positives, growing area, wealth, huge juniors.

The club really needs a long term period of success on the field to really grow support. Not necessarily heaps of grand finals but regular finals appearances & competitivness.
Panthers need more time, but they're a team with some of the best fundamentals in the comp - strong business side to the club with high value assets, brilliant facilities and development programs and centred in a region that will see long term growth as density continues to push more people further west in Sydney.

Moving them would be insane... Wests make less sense though; their identity is already fractured and the regions they service are already well looked after.