What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your most hated players

Meth

Staff member
Saw this on another team's forum-

What players can you personally not stand?

Who is your least favourite Warrior?

Meth

Staff member
I've still never really got over James Tamou and Josh Papalii. It's great to see Tamou's career languishing at least.

Meth

Staff member
Greg Bird- I HATE his bloody hard-done by whinging-face routine

Meth

Staff member
As far as Warriors go-

At first I thought of Dane Nielsen, and then Todd Lowrie- still can't get over how shit they were for us. But they weren't exactly dislikable. Just shit.

Gubb was a dick- kind of a personification of our cultural problems, perhaps. Maybe that's unfair. Same with Lewis Brown. Both just on the better side of mediocre as a talent, but seemed to have a Harlem Globetrotter kind of arrogance.

It's annoying that Greg Alexander flogs us in the media every chance he gets when he was our inaugural halfback

vvvrulz

Coach
Growing up I used to hate Craig Fitzgibbon, although he won me over a bit with that Anasta punch up with the ref - "so if I win a penalty I can go and punch him in the face and play on ??"

The obvious grubs stand out, Myles, Cam Smith, Bird, Ennis... although I'd be singing a different tune if those blokes became Warriors.

I absolutely couldn't stand Brett Stewart but I don't really know why.

Warriors wise I never had much of a problem with Danger Nielson (although that's definitely a minority opinion). He was ok defensively most of the time but his bad games were atrocious.

Gubb was overrated but tolerable. Plod Lowrie was one of our all time fail buys.
I never liked Hame Lauaki; after a few good games turned into an entitled grub and then faded away.
Villasanti similar.
Sione Faumuina used to piss me off no end, played mostly for himself.
Monty Betham, I hate walking penalties, 2004 was a dark year.
Matthew Ridge, never seemed to be in it.

Early memories of Kearney was watching him getting penalised all the time.
(Re-watching old games though shows that he was a good player).

Of the current crop, Blair and Kata stand out, but both seem to be behaving this year.
Tui Lolohea had his moments last year.

vvvrulz

Coach
It's annoying that Greg Alexander flogs us in the media every chance he gets when he was our inaugural halfback

Really? Alexander been all praises this year (obviously) and last week talked about how 1995 was one of his career highlights and the likes of Tony Tatupu, who nobody really talks about (his words), were Auckland legends he was honoured to play with.

If he's been slamming us post 2011 we completely deserve it.

Meth

Staff member
Really? Alexander been all praises this year

Good to hear, I suppose.

I stopped listening to him any more than I had to some time ago. He does strike me as generally negative, so perhaps he is one of those characters that everyone thinks is down on their club

Blair

Coach
For about three minutes I hated any player who scored a winning try against us, particularly at Mt Smart.

But generally, hate is such a strong word, I'd never put myself in a position where I'd hate a footy player - it's only footy.

Dislike is another matter though, there's a few players there for me. I actually dislike Benji, believe it or not. Hargreaves, the aforementioned Brett Stewart, any Penrith player...although I've softened on them since Cartwright and Moylan got the heave ho, geez those two were up themselves.

I'm still bitter seeing them go mental after the Warriors game last year, we should never have put ourselves in that position.

I HATED US THAT DAY!!!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Growing up I used to hate Craig Fitzgibbon...

As we began to get routed in the '02 GF he didn't miss a damn kick, did he? Every try was a six-pointer, every six-pointer put the dream further and further out of reach. I don't like him!

Blair

Coach
Smith
Slater
Boyd
Blair

Beave, I've got the day off today so one thing I'm gonna do is watch that Brookie all-in again, since you've reminded me.

After getting marching orders Gifty and Blairy going toe-to-toe, then Snake charging in from behind, then Blairy mobbed by Manly before the Storm switch on.

You wouldn't want to explain that sentence to someone who's never seen it, ay?

Meth

Staff member
Do many Warriors appear in those posts?

nah

It did occur to me that we don't have a great number of unlikable players.

Isaac Luke, Keiran Foran, Steve Price maybe....are players that are disliked. Ridge in the past.

vvvrulz

Coach
nah

Isaac Luke, Keiran Foran, Steve Price maybe....are players that are disliked. Ridge in the past.

Don't think Inu got much love.

Blair

Coach
nah

The dislike of those players was forged long before they became Warriors, no?

I just said to a work colleague the other day that the Warriors are the, 'nice guys of the NRL'. That's cool to say this year, now that we're (most probably) not finishing last.

Just on a tangent, I'm uncomfortable with a few hidings dished out on the field, Tallis at Penrith, Roberts on Jack, etc. I think it tarnished their reputations. You can be a hardman without going down that path.

Also, why target a star player with a cheap shot that takes them out of a final or crucial test match? I.e. Lamb on Hanley, Cleal on Mark Graham. Can't they just accept it's about the thirteen on thirteen? And the best team wins?

Last edited: