What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne to the NFL???

Sleep

Juniors
Blown away by this.

How long is an NFL trial? A couple of weeks/months?

Given they're six weeks into the season he's picked an awful time to go. He would of been better off going over while they were in camp and playing pre-season and they have huge rosters at their disposal and can try everyone out.

He might get a spot on a practice squad but I doubt it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Given they're six weeks into the season he's picked an awful time to go. He would of been better off going over while they were in camp and playing pre-season and they have huge rosters at their disposal and can try everyone out.

maybe he is going now to prepare for next season?

Red Bear

Referee

Probably going to go through a decent program to prepare himself you would think.

Chasing the dollars? I think he's going over to try and get a trial, and leaving behind a guarenteed decent paycheque from the NRL. Ballsy and would be good to see him make it (although I don't care for American Football personally).

TheFrog

Coach
Devastated - put money on the spoon for us in 2015............we are no hope next year

But Hayne will be back - he won't make it (even though I hope he does)

Benji Marshal thought he would be great at rugby (even after playing it as a kid) and look how that turned out.

Best thing that could happen to Parramatta.

Just think of who you could sign with the $1m plus he's taking up.

Maybe someone who can make your team gel week in week out, unlike this year and every year since Hayne has been at the club. Yes I know 2009 was exciting but Parramatta won 5 of their first 16 in 2009 and Jaz played in just about all of them.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Ben Graham was the oldest signed rookie for the NY Jets at the age of 31. He was once a captain of AFL side Geelong and the NY Jets leadership group. I don`t think headbutt is too old. Darren Bennet also played AFL/NFL and he used the Drop Punt in the NFL in 1997

nick87

Coach
I think if he commits to this, gets on a teams practice squad, spends 12 months learning the game, his upside could be a #3 WR and KRS. RB is no good, trying to learn to read blocks, read the line, pass protection, all that stuff... to hard

you could teach him the route tree, get him to run Slants, Go, Corner, Post routes and have him a big play WR, and then if he goes alright, eventually work him into your screen game with some quick hit WR screens and put him in space.

He could do it if he commits himself and is willing to work at it for 24 months before he even steps on to a field

thorson1987

Coach
Ben Graham was the oldest signed rookie for the NY Jets at the age of 31. He was once a captain of AFL side Geelong and the NY Jets leadership group. I don`t think headbutt is too old. Darren Bennet also played AFL/NFL and he used the Drop Punt in the NFL in 1997

Hayne is not going over to be a kicker though.

Glen

Bench
Terrible news

If he was just chasing money he'd be better off playing rugby somewhere. This sounds more like a Michael Jordan to baseball style of move. Yes if he makes it he could potentially earn truckloads but the odds of that have got to be against him

big hit!

Bench
Hayne's statement:
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2014/10/15/hayne_announces_move_to_us.html

I agreed to a lifetime contract at the Eels... but fook that I'm leaving mid-contract for moneys.

What money?

He's leaving a guaranteed job and salary for uncertainty and no contract.

Ballsy if you ask me. No secret that he loves American Football. Gonna give it a go for a year or two. Yeah, yeah I know he'll always have a contract waiting for him if he comes back, but it's still a risk - injury, little income, no compo etc.

Good on him for seeking out something he wants to do.

Wests is Best

Juniors
Dont get me wrong, I would love to see him make it, but I watch a little bit of the NFL, and most of the guys with the exception of the quarter backs are very very fast or very very huge. I cant really see what position he would play. Logic would say kick returner, but you watch a kick returner in the NFL. They have blistering speed. Jarryd just doesnt have that off the mark.
Good luck anyway!

TheFrog

Coach
meh...he'll be back. They always come back. Be it, Rugby, AFL or NFL.

Like all the others, chasing $$$. Pure a simple. No different to Burge$$ and $BW and all those that have gone before hand.

It's the problem our code has. In world terms, $1m a year is chickenfeed.

I suspect Jaz may be very well suited to the American game, from what I've seen of it.

Canard

Immortal
Best thing that could happen to Parramatta.

Just think of who you could sign with the $1m plus he's taking up.

Not many people with the talent of J Hayne, thats for sure.

Im genuinely shocked by this.

The NFL season has started, its such a weird time to actually go over and trial? I have to think

a) He has been given some fairly firm assurances by a team
b) He has a strong Plan B lined up, i.e. French or Japanese Rugby.

Its good to see someone doing something for the love of it though.

DC_fan

Coach
Dont get me wrong, I would love to see him make it, but I watch a little bit of the NFL, and most of the guys with the exception of the quarter backs are very very fast or very very huge. I cant really see what position he would play. Logic would say kick returner, but you watch a kick returner in the NFL. They have blistering speed. Jarryd just doesnt have that off the mark.
Good luck anyway!

On offense he could be a wide receiver, but that would be about it. On defense it would be a defensive back. He lacks the size to fit any other positions.

He could also be a kick returner.