What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent: NRL salary cap isn't working

POPEYE

Coach
It's working perfectly if you accept mediocrisy and an inability to come up with something better . . . meathead game played by meatheads administered to meathead standards

DiegoNT

First Grade
Hello, Rooster said hi.
Jennings, Maloney, Sonny Bill.
Bought not bred.

Even though roosters brought 3 stars they still had the likes of miniciello, rts, skd, pearce, friend, cordner, guerra and frank paul as players that made their nrl debuts for the club. Other players like jwh and tupou came over as unknown youngsters and no one had heard of sam moa when they brought him cheaply

DiegoNT

First Grade
Between 2007-2012 souths signed the likes of asotasi, vagana, kidwell, Taylor, crocker, burgess, teo, king inglis etc for mixed to poor results

By the time we won the nrl grand final we had 14 players who made their nrl debut with souths (though that does count the 3 burgess brothers. Sam come across as a seasoned international but both twins spent time in our under 20s and lower grades to develop into the first graders they've become)
so with the right management you can win a premiership with players you've brought through yourself, as souths did with our 13 rabbitoh rookies

mxlegend99

Referee
Fair enough, but dont try to make out you have them now.
Wallace, Soward, Kite and Manu and many more, bought not bred.
Taylor, Segeyaro, Lattimore, Lewie Brown, Idris Kaourisou, gee whiz, have ya got any juniors.
:lol: Wallace? He was developed by Panthers before Broncos poached him after he kicked a 45m field goal to beat them.

Here's a few players we have either developed or had debut for us in our roster.

1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
4. George Jennings
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Will Smith
7. Peter Wallace
8. Sam Mckendry
10. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Adam Docker

There's plenty more waiting for a shot. And even more running around for other clubs.

Our recruitment has been to keep us competitive while we wait for the focus on juniors to pay off. They don't develop overnight. Our recruitment and length of contracts has been incredibly good for the most part since Gus arrived. Every team needs a few imports, but our focus is on development and over the next few years most of our team will be locally developed players. Or smart buys like Whare, Segeyaro, Peachey etc. where we can give guys an opportunity their existing club may not.

:lol: Wallace? He was developed by Panthers before Broncos poached him after he kicked a 45m field goal to beat them.

Here's a few players we have either developed or had debut for us in our roster.

1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
4. George Jennings
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Will Smith
7. Peter Wallace
8. Sam Mckendry
10. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Adam Docker

There's plenty more waiting for a shot. And even more running around for other clubs.

Our recruitment has been to keep us competitive while we wait for the focus on juniors to pay off. They don't develop overnight. Our recruitment and length of contracts has been incredibly good for the most part since Gus arrived. Every team needs a few imports, but our focus is on development and over the next few years most of our team will be locally developed players. Or smart buys like Whare, Segeyaro, Peachey etc. where we can give guys an opportunity their existing club may not.

Didn't Josh Mansour play for the Souths U20 GF in 2010? Just saying.

And came from the Kingsgrove Colts, which is a St George junior club, if I'm not mistaken.

mxlegend99

Referee
He was a Souths junior who made his debut for us after being told he wouldn't make it by Souths. He's not a traditional winger in his skillset. But thanks to Panthers he is an NRL player and Australian representative.

I did say it was players either developed by Panthers or who made theur debut for them.

Will Smith and Adam Docker werefrom other junior clubs first also. But they made the NRL at Penrith.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
He was a Souths junior who made his debut for us after being told he wouldn't make it by Souths. He's not a traditional winger in his skillset. But thanks to Panthers he is an NRL player and Australian representative.

I did say it was players either developed by Panthers or who made theur debut for them.

Will Smith and Adam Docker werefrom other junior clubs first also. But they made the NRL at Penrith.

Will smith was always destined for the men in black

Hahaha, wiping out the Saints (southern Sydney/Woolongong), Tigers (SW Sydney/Cambletown) and Manly (northern Sydney/Gosford) would not at all have a negative impact now would it? Basically wiping out over 100k+ fans to the sport is possibly the most geniused thing I have read on this forum. I thought the NRL wanted to expand not contract.

No, as they could still go and watch Manly, Illawarra, St George, Cronulla Sharks, Balmain Tigers and the Magpies in the NSW Cup, those clubs would still exist, and they could go and watch NSW and Australia play, if they are RL fans they'll still watch RL. There isn't a fully pro RL club within many kms of me but I still watch RL.

If there isn't a fully professional RL club within walking distance of them, and they won't go and watch RL if that's the case, then they're not proper RL fans, like I am. I had to travel hours to go and watch the Rabbitohs play at St Helens. There are loads of RU clubs around me, do I watch RU, no flippin way, because RU is too forward dominated. Soccer clubs too, do I watch soccer, no, because it's a stupid game, and their offside rule can't be officiated properly as you can't look at two places at once.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
So the bigger the competition gets, and the more popular '"rugby league" gets, the more uneven the "NRL" is going to get?

Mmmmmm.

Anyway, the 16 "NRL" teams that I want to see is,

New Zealand Warriors, New Zealand Orcas, Penrith Panthers, Parramatta, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Rabbitohs, Newcastle, Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Brothers, NQ Cowboys, GC Titans, WC Pirates, Adelaide Rams, Melbourne, Canberra, Canterbury.

you want south sydney to change to sydney??? :?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
So the bigger the competition gets, and the more popular '"rugby league" gets, the more uneven the "NRL" is going to get?

Mmmmmm.

Anyway, the 16 "NRL" teams that I want to see is,

New Zealand Warriors, New Zealand Orcas, Penrith Panthers, Parramatta, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Rabbitohs, Newcastle, Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Brothers, NQ Cowboys, GC Titans, WC Pirates, Adelaide Rams, Melbourne, Canberra, Canterbury.

So we still need 2 inner city teams do we? You just don't want to accept that that is never going to happen. You will either be forced to merge, relocate or one dies.

The NRL will not give up completely on the entire North of Sydney. They will not give up on the entire South either. Your ideas are pathetic grab to try and justify the existence of your own club. Everybody does it. I do find the irony that you were happy to have the support of all the other fans who backed your club to come back, but you are happy to stick the knife into another team to justify your own. And knowing full well that both a Roosters and Rabbits team are never going to remain without a relocation or merger.

you want south sydney to change to sydney??? :?

Yes. We have the New York Giants and New York Jets, we used to have the LA Rams and LA Raiders. We have the NY Mets and NY Wan...sorry Yankees.

I want to see the Rabbitohs getting fans from all over Sydney, I want to see at least 50k at every Rabbitohs home match at ANZ Stadium. I want ppl from Wales, Scotland, China, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, USA, Canada, Jamaica knowing who the Sydney Rabbitohs are.

And I've thought of a new name for rugby league, "Redfern," as Redfern is the spiritual home of 'rugby league.'

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes. We have the New York Giants and New York Jets, we used to have the LA Rams and LA Raiders. We have the NY Mets and NY Wan...sorry Yankees.

I want to see the Rabbitohs getting fans from all over Sydney, I want to see at least 50k at every Rabbitohs home match at ANZ Stadium. I want ppl from Wales, Scotland, China, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, USA, Canada, Jamaica knowing who the Sydney
Rabbitohs are.

Apart from getting 50k at every home game, the Rabbitohs already do/have all these things in varying degrees (thanks in no small part to Crowe) without having changed their name to the Sydney Rabbitohs.

Sure there isn't a great population of diehard Rabbits fans living in NY, but neither are there large populations of dyed in wool diehard Jets or Yankees fans in Sydney.

Though the Rabbits brand hasn't got the brand recognition of say Manchester United or the Patriots (and they likely never will) The mere fact that they have any international brand recognition (outside of traditional RL markets) gives them a monumental advantage over the other NRL clubs, whos' international brand recognition would be almost unmeasurable.

At this point all that changing the Rabbits name would do is piss off the rusted on fans.

The only team that I think should look at renaming/rebranding themselves is the Sea Eagles, they should definitely look into changing their name from Manly to something like Northern Sydney or North Shore.

And I've thought of a new name for rugby league, "Redfern," as Redfern is the spiritual home of 'rugby league.'

Well that settles it you're definitely a troll.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
No, as they could still go and watch Manly, Illawarra, St George, Cronulla Sharks, Balmain Tigers and the Magpies in the NSW Cup, those clubs would still exist, and they could go and watch NSW and Australia play, if they are RL fans they'll still watch RL. There isn't a fully pro RL club within many kms of me but I still watch RL.

If there isn't a fully professional RL club within walking distance of them, and they won't go and watch RL if that's the case, then they're not proper RL fans, like I am. I had to travel hours to go and watch the Rabbitohs play at St Helens. There are loads of RU clubs around me, do I watch RU, no flippin way, because RU is too forward dominated. Soccer clubs too, do I watch soccer, no, because it's a stupid game, and their offside rule can't be officiated properly as you can't look at two places at once.

No, they wouldn't exist. NSW and QLD cup receive no where near the exposure of NRL and are lucky to get a couple of thousand to a game. So in your opinion, if you don't watch or want to watch other teams play or travel to watch games you're not a true RL fan? What absolute dribble. The best thing about RL is the tribalism and you do not have to travel or attend every game to be a fan. If the Saints went out, that would be the end of RL for me. If the Rabbitohs were booted out for good this time, would you change your allegiance and support another team?

Canard

Immortal

I want to see the Rabbitohs getting fans from all over Sydney, I want to see at least 50k at every Rabbitohs home match at ANZ Stadium. I want ppl from Wales, Scotland, China, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, USA, Canada, Jamaica knowing who the Sydney Rabbitohs are.

Topball

POPEYE

Coach
Wonder if there was a points system similar to the judiciary for clubs that introduce new talent to the NRL, instead of poaching proven talent, would the cap fade away into the insignificance it deserves