What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Regardless of the argument that replacement bench players have proven to be equal or superior to their predecessors the biggest issue for mine is that the suspension to Junior, injuries to Edwards and Pauli and delayed clearance to Fa'aoso have deprived us of options.

Brad Arthur may very well have played Isaac De Gois and Joseph Paulo every round this year even if Junior, Edwards, Pauli and Fa'aoso (Josh Aloiai also deserves a mention IMO) were available but right up until this coming round we simply had no options beyond the forwards currently enlisted in first grade and that is a significant hindrance.

Spot on, mate.

Joely01

Bench
We have lost quality.

Taka and Champion are our starting centres, Semi is the best winger in the comp.
Edwards and Jnr Paulos massive suspension have been huge blows for us.

The comp is that close these days all it takes is 2-3 injuries to key players and that can destroy a season.

You could also say that Norman has received reassurances - but Sandow hasn't. I reckon the only way Sandow can stay is if he and Norman alternate at fullback - Norman in defence and Sandow in attack OR: Sandow plays off the bench and we buy a good fullback.
If this new six-interchange rule comes in, will it mean that teams put an electric player (like Sandow) on the bench to take advantage of the oppositions tiring forwards, or will they have four forwards on the bench to minimise the fatigue factor in their own forwards? It'll be interesting. I'm guessing Sandow will play off the bench and we look for a decent fullback.

Yeah, you could also say that. I just thought it was interesting that before we're heard anything about Sandow being re-signed, we got the story of Norman getting reassurance that they still want him.

And I can't see Sandow being re-signed to play fullback, or off the bench. The swapping thing is an interesting idea but is it feasible? Has any other club done it for a period of time? Anyway, just my uneducated thoughts.

Noise

Coach
Yeah, you could also say that. I just thought it was interesting that before we're heard anything about Sandow being re-signed, we got the story of Norman getting reassurance that they still want him.

And I can't see Sandow being re-signed to play fullback, or off the bench. The swapping thing is an interesting idea but is it feasible? Has any other club done it for a period of time? Anyway, just my uneducated thoughts.

Sharks are doing it with Gordon and Holmes - fullback and wing. Gordon fullback in defence, then moves to wing in attack with Holmes playing the floating fullback role. Has been working well for them.

Sharks are doing it with Gordon and Holmes - fullback and wing. Gordon fullback in defence, then moves to wing in attack with Holmes playing the floating fullback role. Has been working well for them.

And RTS and Minichiello did it last year a bit I think. But I meant fullback and half, although I don't see why that would be any less feasible.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
They wont drop interchange from 10 to 6.They might go to 8 then to 6.
Pauli played a few 80 min games for us last year. I would imagine he would get fitter.Sure he played 80 or close too for wenty. Why does he need too play 80 anyhows? Wouldnt 60 mins be enough?

@ 6 interchanges and considering injuries you would want a squad of 17 (is the bench staying @ 4 too?) all capable of playing 80 minutes, sure not at their best for 80 minutes, but at least 80% of full potential as the body tires during the last 20 minutes of a game. You lose two players to injury, you will then need the physical performance coming from two players to cover for 4 players for the rest of the game. This means we need the 80 minutes physical capability of 17 Bradley Clydes in our squad. No more lazy merkins. We may as well start preparing our squad/s for this 2016 standard and onwards.

Avenger

Immortal
Spoke to a mate who is a huge Souths fan. He reckons that Alex Johnston is one of the quickest players in their squad and is substantially faster than Inglis. I see that he is a good finisher but has he any passing skills like Hayne and Moylan?

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes we lacked option forty20. And i think Jnr would be in over terepo. If pauli was killing it he may of forced his way in.
I still Semi and now taka are losses that hurt more.
But not as much as if we lost our two halves.Every side cops a few injuries.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Spoke to a mate who is a huge Souths fan. He reckons that Alex Johnston is one of the quickest players in their squad and is substantially faster than Inglis. I see that he is a good finisher but has he any passing skills like Hayne and Moylan?

That's what I want to know, maybe we have to wait until Origin to see Alex playing 1, then we get an idea what he is capable of, that's if they play him there. Speed is great but can he ball play, etc??? To get the big money he needs a performance contract but then some clubs will be so desperate and stupid that they will pay the big $$$ up front. Hopefully BA is better than that.

Noise

Coach
That's what I want to know, maybe we have to wait until Origin to see Alex playing 1, then we get an idea what he is capable of, that's if they play him there. Speed is great but can he ball play, etc??? To get the big money he needs a performance contract but then some clubs will be so desperate and stupid that they will pay the big $$$ up front. Hopefully BA is better than that.

How would you structure this contract so the player is happy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts