What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

Bulldog Force

Referee
First team to have a f**king train as their logo...

Crushers_1995.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Brisbane footy show? Didnt know this existed.

I was up in Brisbane one weekend for the finals in 1995.

It was a pretty decent show, Chris Bombalas and Billy John Smith (I think its his name) were hosts, they had Garry Belcher, Kevin Walters, Shirley Strauhan, Mahatma Cote and occassionly Sam Newman would rate the Crushers as his favourite team.

I think it ended in 1996.

Falconman

Juniors
I think I have tyhe rarest piece of Crusher's memorabilia. When they launched at Roma Street Station., they were originally launched as The Queensland Crushers, and had to change their name to South Queensland later on.

I have (mint condition) cap from the launch with The Queensland Crushers as the logo on it

I think I have tyhe rarest piece of Crusher's memorabilia. When they launched at Roma Street Station., they were originally launched as The Queensland Crushers, and had to change their name to South Queensland later on.

I have (mint condition) cap from the launch with The Queensland Crushers as the logo on it

Can you post a photo?

kdalymc

Bench

Dope memorabilia, show us!

But f**k me that would of been a bad name /improper name

Some good recollections here. I remember watching the Crushers back in 95 at Penrith Park, got roundly beat too. I remember Mario giving the lads a spray from behind the goalposts.

davi

Juniors
I remember Kiwi international Grant Young played quite well for them before he left for the Warriors.

kdalymc

Bench
Why did all the expansion teams in the 90s involve has beans?
Whilst the Titans in 07 were pretty star-studded?

LESStar58

Referee
I remember those derbies. Even down in Melbourne they'd replay them on a Sunday afternoon.

They were never a contest but f**k they were pumping in terms of atmosphere even on tele!

DlEHARD

Juniors
They were never a contest but f**k they were pumping in terms of atmosphere even on tele!

Exactly, it could have developed into something truly amazing.

Any new Brisbane club needs to spend a big amount of time on building the derby.

The Titans and Broncos put no effort into doing this and what we have now is the result.

It doesn't happen by accident.

Tweed Titan

Bench
have to laugh at this second team thing. i think their supporter base was about 55% made up of this. they certainly didn't seem to draw much from people who hadn't followed league before, like the broncs in 88 did.
it was mostly just bitter and twisted anti-broncs and it made for some really funny crowds when the two teams played each other. i remember being in the eastern stand when darren plowman [lachlan maranta's uncle] scored early but got snotted as he scored and it was all the broncs after that. lots of the crowd left early.
reminds me a bit if the titans now, their best crowd all year is when the broncs come down the highway and make up 65% of the crowd.
Cool story bro. The world revolves around the Broncos.

undertaker

Coach
The chicken schnitzel was only $2 on Tuesdays. Beer and wine was cheap as. Good times the old Crushers Leagues clubs. Brothers own it now.

A new Brisbane NRL team would be far more supported than the Crushers, they wouldn't have to deal with News Ltd and their takeover of Brisbane and SL

It's a shame the ARL and the News Ltd demanded NRL piece deal couldn't keep the Crushers in Brisbane, perhaps they were scared of them? I remember a Crushers-Gold Coast Chargers merger was discussed but never happened, shame because if it went ahead in '98 we would've had the CC Bears in 2007

$2 for a chicken schnitzel? Was it nice?

The one I had at the local hotel down the road from me the other night was nearly 10 times that amount

anjado

Juniors
I was just thinking of the Crushers and was wondering how the team could have looked in say 1999 if they weren't kicked out of the competition and had planned things a bit better.

South Queensland Crushers 1999

1. Clinton Schifkofske
2. Michael Eager
3. Chris McKenna
4. Aaron Moule
5. Mat Toshack
6. Travis Norton
7. Troy Pezet/Kevin Carmichael
8. Clinton O'Brien
9. Phillip Lee
10. Danny Nutley
11. Matt Bickerstaff
12. Scott Sattler
13. Nigel Gaffey

14. David Myles
15. Mark Tookey
16. Nathan Sologinkin
17. Steele Retchless

If you overlook the lack of a decent halfback i think that team is pretty decent you add a good Half back and maybe a winger and i think they could have been a possible top 8 team.

Brutus

Referee
Carmichael was a clever little player and a good leader.

The only thing he lacked was pace, but plenty have made it without pace.

anjado

Juniors
Carmichael was a clever little player and a good leader.

The only thing he lacked was pace, but plenty have made it without pace.

Yeah i always thought he looked pretty decent, that side would have been fairly good really we really stuffed up expansion i have no doubt the crushers would be a strong club today if they were still around.

Latest posts