What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

jamesgould

Juniors
34fbfur.jpg

The two on the right (think one is Teevan?) are creating what should go down as the modern day gladiator pose. Would have been a famous photo imo, if South Queensland hasn't been chucked out.

steggz

Juniors
I remember watching Crushers v Canberra on ABC's Saturday arvo match with Warren Boland commentating.

ShaneO85

Juniors
I still have at home somewhere in my CD collection the South Queensland Crushers launch CD with an intro by dick tosser turner, a speach by bob lindner and 3 versions of 'Gonna Crush Ya', the Crusher's theme song. I won it in a prize pack when we had St. John Ellis and Michael Ford, the two pommy recruits come to my primary school for a developement day. Some how slow old me won the bullrush game.

I'm pretty sure a big influence that lead to the train on the logo was a combination of the location of Lang Park, right near Milton train station and the history of the cane fields throughout queensland.

I really wish i had a Crusher's jersey of each design in my collection (the tan one and the blue one).

I remember one of the girls from my school got one of the Crusher's bomber jackets for her birthday one year. They retailed at the time for about $200. We were all pretty jealous.

Ahhh the memories.

Loudstrat

Coach
I dont mind the colours - hate to think what they would be like today with the current lot of abortions - like our away jersey. You know that Jersey designs are crap when Souths old "Made in 1908" design looks good!

IMHO the original designs for all 4 new teams in 95 were awesome - especially the Reds. I wish the Cowpats would go back to the blue and grey V.

Diesel

Referee
I remember in NZ there were a few Crushers games on TV, it was normally Saturday night and a 1 hour highlights package from ABC.

I remember the Warriors steamrolling the Crushers, Cowboys and Chargers during a 3 week stint in 95 and again in 96... The Queensland treble, pity it took 7 seasons to finally knock off the Broncos, but the treble was good at the time

Tone83

Juniors
Its one thing to be nostalgic and remember the good ol days when the crushers were in the comp, but really they did everything wrong, they looked like shit and were just perplexing as a concept. It would be so easy to get another SEQ team right its amazing how wrong they got it.

Diesel

Referee
The Crushers were dealing with shovelling shit up hill with a comb from their 4th game, News Ltd, SL and the Broncos were against them.

When Brisbane gets a 2nd team and as long as it isn't the Bombers, they will be a well supported team.

If the Crushers had entered without having to deal with SL at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if they had already win a premiership by now

I take what you say, but the Warriors, Reds, Crushers and Cowboys had to deal with something that no other new teams had.

undertaker

Coach
I remember in NZ there were a few Crushers games on TV, it was normally Saturday night and a 1 hour highlights package from ABC.

I remember the Warriors steamrolling the Crushers, Cowboys and Chargers during a 3 week stint in 95 and again in 96... The Queensland treble, pity it took 7 seasons to finally knock off the Broncos, but the treble was good at the time

you lived in NZ?

From my understanding of the tv coverage in NZ pre-SL war back in the days when the tv games were one Friday night game (1hr delay at 8:30pm), Saturday arvo live on ABC (3pm) and 1hr highlights of the Sunday match of the day (6pm when it was on Ch10, 6:30pm on Ch9), the NZers got both the Friday night and Sunday matches live and in full (for the Sunday game instead of 1hr highlights). I don't know about the ABC game though. Nevertheless, tv coverage over there has been much better than what the folk here in Australia have had to contend with. Even today, the folk in NZ get all 8 games per round live, including the 2nd Friday night match and the Ch9 Sunday game. But, I guess a similar situation is with us and the English Premier League. where all Saturday 3pm matches are blacked-out over in the UK whereas we get viewers choice here.

When the Warriors were admitted to the comp and all RL moved from FTA to PayTV (in this case, to Sky Sports), Sky Sports also covered both Warriors home and away games until at least after Graeme Hughes left at the end of 2000. Since then, they have only broadcasted Warriors home games and taken the coverage from Fox Sports/Ch9 for their away matches (except for the times when they made the GF in 2002 and 2011).

Diesel

Referee
you lived in NZ?

From my understanding of the tv coverage in NZ pre-SL war back in the days when the tv games were one Friday night game (1hr delay at 8:30pm), Saturday arvo live on ABC (3pm) and 1hr highlights of the Sunday match of the day (6pm when it was on Ch10, 6:30pm on Ch9), the NZers got both the Friday night and Sunday matches live and in full (for the Sunday game instead of 1hr highlights). I don't know about the ABC game though. Nevertheless, tv coverage over there has been much better than what the folk here in Australia have had to contend with. Even today, the folk in NZ get all 8 games per round live, including the 2nd Friday night match and the Ch9 Sunday game. .

Sky used to take all games live and TV2 used to have the Friday game delayed by an hour on FTA, the Saturday game was more of a 1 hour highlights package from ABC, and Sunday was shown in full like Friday nights.

Anyhow,I remember watching in TV the first Crushers game vs Canberra, and also their game vs Broncos as the two standout games

Canard

Immortal
I dont mind the colours - hate to think what they would be like today with the current lot of abortions - like our away jersey. You know that Jersey designs are crap when Souths old "Made in 1908" design looks good!

IMHO the original designs for all 4 new teams in 95 were awesome - especially the Reds. I wish the Cowpats would go back to the blue and grey V.

Cowboys original jersey was NEVER a V.

I love how Sydney people LOSE their shit whenever someone who doesn't live within 300m of the CBD comments on league, yet Bundy is in SEQ:crazy:

LESStar58

Referee
I remember the first game against Canberra and the derbies against Brisbane.

It is criminal that we do not have a second Brisbane team.

Brutus

Referee
The Crushers played well in that game against Canberra.

It was a Saturday arvo game on the ABC, with the great Warren Boland calling.

Loudstrat

Coach
Cowboys original jersey was NEVER a V.
I never actually said it was. I was referring to the 97 version

North_Queensland_Cowboys_home_jersey_1997.svg

I love how Sydney people LOSE their shit whenever someone who doesn't live within 300m of the CBD comments on league, yet Bundy is in SEQ:crazy:

I love how gimps think I am from Sydney, and think I mentioned Bundy in any post :lol::lol: