What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

beave

Coach
I'm aware that the Cowboys didn't get another Ch9 (Sydney) match for 9 years after their debut vs Bulldogs, but didn't they have their other non-Ch9 matches covered by WIN in North QLD for their first two seasons (1995/96) with Jason Costigan as the caller? For example, their first ever win (at Wollongong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vmJDAE058

Yes, but they weren't live and as you said, only into NQ. Living in sydney as a 15 year old in 1995, the only way i got to 'see' their games was my nana taping the games and sending them down to me to watch a week and a half later. Without trying to sound like an old fruit, the younger gen don't realise how lucky they are these days that every game is accessible now to watch live or within an hour or so from kickoff.

I still remember that first round in 1995 like it was yesterday, the excitement and level of interest those days was massive, I think we are only now starting to see the game get back to where it once was.

MightyBronco

Juniors
I was a Broncos fan but still didnt hate on the Crushers, i just kinda of thought of them as a slightly geniused. They did possess a fair bit of fail.

some11

Referee
34fbfur.jpg

axl rose

Bench
They threw open the gates for the last home game. Wasn't that hard to get a free ticket anyway during 97. That jersey is ( almost) worse then Super League merchandise. Maybe its where they Ribot got their marketing ideas.

Canard

Immortal
Yes, but they weren't live and as you said, only into NQ. Living in sydney as a 15 year old in 1995, the only way i got to 'see' their games was my nana taping the games and sending them down to me to watch a week and a half later. Without trying to sound like an old fruit, the younger gen don't realise how lucky they are these days that every game is accessible now to watch live or within an hour or so from kickoff.

I still remember that first round in 1995 like it was yesterday, the excitement and level of interest those days was massive, I think we are only now starting to see the game get back to where it once was.

I was at that game, Damien Gibson scored our first ever try, I was about 5m away on the hill.

It PISSED down on the day of the game, so the newly laid turf on the hills came loose and the place turned to mush, especially just behind the fence at ground level (which didn't get concreted until a while later)

Vowsley got sent off early and it was all over after that.

This thread has made me realise that 75% of all the Cowboys fans on here are Brisbanites!!!

beave

Coach
I will probably be joining you Brisbanites at the end of the year............. Sigh.

Teddyboy

First Grade
1995 was very exciting year for both Rugby codes but wish that SL thing was nipped in the bud back as crowds for Auckland that year where like test status and NQ and the Crushers had great crowds.

kdalymc

Bench

Wests (home?) jersey was white??

Also on the tv note-
I lived in stanthorpe in 95-96 and remember the cowboys (not sure about crushers) games being televised on channel 9 , perhaps it was WIN or NBN there, and they were Saturday nights from 6 til 7, lol, must of been an hour of highlights...

I never knew about cowboys going 9 years though? How was that possible?? A 'national' competition with a team never on tv...?
Although I think Canberra have similar deal now yeah?

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Also on the tv note-
I lived in stanthorpe in 95-96 and remember the cowboys (not sure about crushers) games being televised on channel 9 , perhaps it was WIN or NBN there, and they were Saturday nights from 6 til 7, lol, must of been an hour of highlights...

I never knew about cowboys going 9 years though? How was that possible?? A 'national' competition with a team never on tv...?

That was the first round, still in warm conditions. Like a lot of teams who had dark jumpers chose the right to wear a white jumper. I remember I was at the Panthers/Eels game, it was stinking hot that day.

Canard

Immortal

Also on the tv note-

The majority of the games shown were home games at around 9.30 or 10pm, even then it's was probably only about 10 or so in 2 seasons. With the Illawarra have being shown because of the WIN connection.

Seeing as those games were Sat night it's very unlikely that a Sat 6pm highlights show was broadcast.

Also on the tv note-

Remember when Live and Sweaty was on the ABC, and Andrew Denton had a campaign to "Free the 43!" after it was calculated that Nine's Sunday night highlights (was it 6:30 to 7:30?) only contained 37 minutes of footy after ads?

Loudstrat

Coach
It's a shame the ARL and the News Ltd demanded NRL piece deal couldn't keep the Crushers in Brisbane, perhaps they were scared of them? I remember a Crushers-Gold Coast Chargers merger was discussed but never happened, shame because if it went ahead in '98 we would've had the CC Bears in 2007
The Broncos demanded a 5 year exclusivity agreement. The greed.........

Well that logo isn't a cane train, but yeah a bit odd but at least Australian

There is sugar cane in the region ironically in northern NSW however
Bundaberg is SEQ too. Besides, how many wild American horses are in SEQ? I thought the logo was innovative!

My Dad did a bit of work for them and got a jersey and a 10 year membership for doing it. I wore the jersey to origin in 2003, a lot of people were yelling out to me "Go Crushers" but I'm pretty sure they were just drunk bogans.
An Origin crowd at Lang Park. Genius.

have to laugh at this second team thing. i think their supporter base was about 55% made up of this. they certainly didn't seem to draw much from people who hadn't followed league before, like the broncs in 88 did.
Exactly why a second Brisbane team based at Lang Park wont work.

My Crushers memories - seeing them vs Brisbane at Lang Park on telly and Grant Young smashing them!

Besides, we got Schiffo and Mark Tookey from the fire sale :)