What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

NrlCoach

Juniors
When the boss of a media company that owned the game for decades comes out and says we always preferred AFL over rugby League. Time to dump the Dally M's and anything associated with Newscrap

Nugget10

Juniors
Then Kent comes out on 360 and hammers the NRL. Murdoch can f**k off and die and he can take that booze filled disease ridden merkin rag that is Newscorp with him

boonboon

Juniors
When the boss of a media company that owned the game for decades comes out and says we always preferred AFL over rugby League. Time to dump the Dally M's and anything associated with Newscrap

IT IS A NEGOTIATING TACTIC. That is what he should say and the NRL should ignore it

Danish

Referee
The NRL shouldn't ignore it. They should keep a nice little dossier of NRL vs AFL ratings on fox for the next couple years and the last few years past, and present that to Newscorp in a couple years time along with some surveys conducted on how many NRL fans will cancel their Foxtel subscriptions if they lose the rights to league. Top it off with what Google and Netflix are willing to offer for the rights and then kindly ask them to beat it by 50% or they can f**k off.

Foxtel will literally collapse inside of a few years without the NRL to prop up their subscriptions.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
And I dont mean that has anything to do with what the afl got, good luck to them, bleed the f**kers dry please, but the way RM talked RL, he can well and truly go and get f**ked, he's the prick that stole our game in the first place.

Never mind old digger, two things in life are guaranteed, you die and you pay taxes, no dodging death for you rupert no matter how much money you have and no, you can't take it with you either.

MarkC

Juniors
Rupert is wrong about most things .... this is just one more thing to add to the list.

NRL needs to look at offers from alternative streaming services, perhaps they can give Foxtel the flick and Rupert can see first hand how many people want to watch AFL on TV.

elbusto

Coach
Newscorp showed it's hand with its sycophantic love pieces about goodes recently. I smelled a rat then and it's name is Rupert

Last edited:

Edwahu

Bench
AFL fans are parochial as f**k. They will lap it up.

I don't get the fear. They have been "taking over" for 20 years and after hundreds of millions of dollars they are still as popular as a fart in an elevator. All they have been doing and continue to do in that time is to fart more directly in our faces.

docbrown

Coach
For all the doomsday preppers, AFL nutters and News Corp hacks who can't see the Murdoch/AFL mutual masturbation exercise for what is, here's a question you should ask yourselves:

If Murdoch is such a genius with allegedly flawless business acumen when it comes to sport and entertainment, why did Super League fail?

reanimate

Bench
Time to get talking to Google, Apple, Netflix, Stan or whoever else is even slightly interested and start putting together a package to scare the crap out of News, then either get them to pay massive overs, or be the first innovators and partner with a streaming service who will treat us well.

adamkungl

Immortal
Paul Kent is just about the biggest merkin in RL media.

The bloke offers not a single shred of value to any sensible RL fan and his opinions are entirely based on benefit to himself and his employer.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
For all the doomsday preppers, AFL nutters and News Corp hacks who can't see the Murdoch/AFL mutual masturbation exercise for what is, here's a question you should ask yourselves:

If Murdoch is such a genius with allegedly flawless business acumen when it comes to sport and entertainment, why did Super League fail?

The days since the nine/fox has been a real eye opener for a lot of league folk I think. I always knew there was a tendency towards afl by news ltd but the childish sniping and level of BS they have come out with since has surprised even me. Their sponsored spin doctors at Fairfax and news have not even tried to hide the agenda!

Seven have paid $900m over 6 years, I do not have the figures from last time but that seems like a reduction for the FTA component. Seems that Murdoch has flown in to grandstand and spite the NRL by paying over the odds for the AFL.

What do you reckon the NRL will get from Foxtel and digital rights in the end? a billion $together a reasonable target. The prospect of a ninth game if used should provide enough for a substantial increase

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I don't think Super League failed from Ruperts point of view.

His goal was the absolute destruction of the ARL and total control over rugby league in perpetuity. I'm not saying you think this but really anyone who thinks otherwise is rewriting history and doesn't really understand the man.

He never wanted Super League to be a rival league. He wanted it to be the only league. The failure started when he couldn't stop the ARL from having a competition in 97. Then it became a costly legal battle which led to a messed up joint ownership with the organisation he wished to destroy. Running the new organisation cost more than he ever wished to outlay and eventually resulted in his company's exodus from control of the game and loss of their first and last TV rights.

All I'm saying is -- when people hype Murdoch's abilities they tend to forget this and his other failures overseas. He is after all just a man.