What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

I watched Ten news last night. They had a live cross to ANZ in which they basically said you'll be lucky to get out of the game alive, showed the bottle throwing incident and footage of some fat guy who attacked a Souths fan after that game. Can you imagine what would happen if there was an incident after a PNG game? There is a massive security problem there and people get killed all the time in random attacks, there is no way known they will be in the NRL this rights deal. It just won't happen in the forseeable future because PNG is currently a basket case.

You might be right about PNG. I just don't don't know if the PNG government would be willing and able to create a security enclave around the stadium where foreign visitors could feel safe. The PNG government definitely wants a PNG team in the NRL, so if security guarantees were a precondition then they might be willing to create a walled security enclave around the stadium, where modern hotels, shops, restaurants, and even foreign embassies could be located. Only middle class PNG fans and foreign residents who could afford tickets would be allowed inside the enclave, and the rest of the PNG population would watch the games on TV.

If the NRL comes to the same conclusion as you about security then it could go to 19 teams, because building the game in NZ should be a major priority of the NRL. However 19 teams means one team having a bye each week and that is not a good situation. But it could be acceptable for a couple of years, before we add either Adelaide, Christchurch, or Fiji (which will have a team joining the NSW Cup next year) as the twentieth.

Brutus

Referee
Who says Melbournians don't embrace the Storm . . . how to their crowds compare to 'embraced' teams

Actually, I somehow missed a very important word in my quote.

What I meant to write was Fox or News have not tried to get Melbounians to embrace the Storm. It has since been edited.

Fox and News have done f**k all.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If Foxtel said how much if we had 5 games exclusive & simulcast all 9
then we have every right to say the same annual amount you're going to give the AFL ,which is $266 Million.
So this amount times 5 years is 1.330 Billion
Channel 9's amount drops to about 800 Million through compensation
NZ , naming & online rights currently go for around 200 million
that would have to increase to at least $275-$300 Million

so that's a tidy 2.4 to 2.430 Billion
the Largest Dollar per year media rights deal in Australian sports history easily out doing the AFL's.

If the NRL says no to expansion & so, no 5th game but simulcasting remains on the table
we should still be able to ask & get about 210 Million a year
so that's a deal still North of 2 Billion when the rest is factored in ..about 2.150 Billion or 430 Million a year , some 12 Million a year more then the AFL will get.

If Foxtel say nup ... not even close ... we'll give you 800 million tops
they should be politely told to get a Woolley pup & the tree its chained to
up em... :cool:

POPEYE

Coach
Actually, I somehow missed a very important word in my quote.

What I meant to write was Fox or News have not tried to get Melbounians to embrace the Storm. It has since been edited.

Fox and News have done f**k all.

As long as you're only saying Murdoch has done nothing, if you're insinuating nothing has been done by anyone to try and get Melbournians to embrace the Storm that's bullshit . . . how's the crowd figures for the Storm in the wilderness compared to say Penrith in the heartland

None of that matters, just trivial pursuit, the question is are we doing enough to convince Murdoch League is worth f**king around with at all

POPEYE

Coach
Popeyes other account, we don't need to kowtow to News and sell the game for less money than it's worth just because "they have some good commentators and shit..."

They are going to pay top dollar to simulcast every game and they are trying to avoid this by talking our game down.

You corporate suckups keep falling to understand that

Bet you're a Trade Union man . . . go get 'em China

I don't need another account any more than Bellamy needs to poach

strong_latte

Juniors
As long as you're only saying Murdoch has done nothing, if you're insinuating nothing has been done by anyone to try and get Melbournians to embrace the Storm that's bullshit . . . how's the crowd figures for the Storm in the wilderness compared to say Penrith in the heartland

None of that matters, just trivial pursuit, the question is are we doing enough to convince Murdoch League is worth f**king around with at all

As RoosTah and others have pointed out here, the over the top attacks by News indicate that not only does Murdoch know the value of league (as shown by Fairfax it easily outrates the AFL on Fox) but is doing all this to try and scare them into signing because he know FOXTEL is in deep shit without it.

POPEYE

Coach
Bullshit, Foxtell 'in deep shit' is what you want but not what you'll get . . . Funny that we need a 'corporate suckup' like Smith but don't need another in Murdoch

T to the T

Juniors
The NRL is not dealing with Lachlan Murdoch, they're dealing with the bloke who shut down English newspapers when they threatened him. It's ok to whinge about him on a forum but when dopes like Brad Walter come out in print and say Fox needs the NRL to stay alive it makes Dave Smith's job of securing anything substantial doubly difficult

Old man Murdoch knows his time is limited, knows his son can do what he likes when he's gone and he's not about to leave the empire he built with his tail between his legs. Absolutely f**king stupid of anyone to wave a red flag at him . . . he could buy Ch9 with pocket money

Thank f*ck I'll never end up in the trenches fighting along side you. Shall we pull down the zip in preparation?

If waving a 'red flag' constitutes standing on our own 2 feet and getting the best value for RL (4 FTA games FFS) and not being a corporations bitch anymore then I'll shove that red flag up Murdick's arse, not just wave it in his face. This is a man who single handedly set back the sport 30 years. We had 20 teams in 1995. A NATIONAL game... and you want to appease him? Some RL fans:crazy:

strong_latte

Juniors
Bullshit, Foxtell 'in deep shit' is what you want but not what you'll get . . . Funny that we need a 'corporate suckup' like Smith but don't need another in Murdoch

No, what we needed was a guy like Smith who wasn't beholden to Newscorp interests.

I think you need to relax a little mate. There a long time yet for this to play out and with the lashing out over at the Smellograph etc I reckon we're finding out just how much not having a lacky in the NRL is hurting News.

Canard

Immortal
This thread shows that League fans just like to whinge.

For twenty years it was "the game is owned by News and is the worser for it"

Then suddenly "Oh No, Don't upset News !!"

There are actually people siding with Murdoch?

The next.biggest gripe was "It's.not about the.money it's about fan friendly scheduling and FTA coverage"

We finally get that and it's "But it's about the money!!"

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
This thread shows that League fans just like to whinge.

For twenty years it was "the game is owned by News and is the worser for it"

Then suddenly "Oh No, Don't upset News !!"

There are actually people siding with Murdoch?

That's not what I've taken from it at all... It's been pretty a 90/10 split in favour of smith from what I've seen with only a couple of people letting the News Ltd propaganda campaign get their knees wobbling

And every merkin bitches about nein and their treatment of the game but blow their load when the NRL hands them more games years in advance without exploring other options.

Canard

Immortal
And every merkin bitches about nein and their treatment of the game but blow their load when the NRL hands them more games years in advance without exploring other options.

That's the main criteria for mine, what commentators are involved.

FMD greater FTA coverage than ever and your whinging.

You just a negative old prick.

strong_latte

Juniors

Oh you're drinking the News cool aid too I see. They have and are exploring other options. Expand your news readership beyond the Tele and you'd know that.

This is the first stage - FTA coverage - and for that stage we got a very good deal and a tonne of extra exposure.

I don't read the tele. I have a mind of my own.

Maybe you should expand your reading beyond the NRL spin department. They've REDUCED the exposure for the national team and the nz national team massively.

strong_latte

Juniors
I don't read the tele. I have a mind of my own.

Maybe you should expand your reading beyond the NRL spin department. They've REDUCED the exposure for the national team and the nz national team massively.

Oh right, you're that guy who thinks the ANZAC test is the most import event in the League calendar...

That's the main criteria for mine, what commentators are involved.

FMD greater FTA coverage than ever and your whinging.

You just a negative old prick.

I'm probably younger than you.

And it's not greater free to air coverage than ever. Weve had foir fta games before. Check your facts and stop believing the spin from the Greenberg gazette.

j5o6hn

Juniors
The Article from the Australian is about par for the course from one of the trained monkeys/stenographers who rush forth to bring us the word from Murdoch and Mitchell,I doubt if any of them have had an original thought for many yrs.
Because working for Murdoch tends to stop you thinking anything that is against company policy,Kent those drunks in the Tele and a few others prove that

Oh right, you're that guy who thinks the ANZAC test is the most import event in the League calendar...

And you're that guy who thinks its a great idea to ensure 400,000 less people watch the kangaroos every year. The pinnacle of rep football, our greatest brand and longest tradition but these merkins piss it off to the end of the year and spin it as a good thing. Lucky for them there's plenty of dopey merkins willing to lap up their shit.

whall15

Coach
I'd be surprised if ESPN made a play, they're losing rights in Australia already to Bein and sold their UK operations to BT.