What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

RoosTah

Juniors
As long as you're only saying Murdoch has done nothing, if you're insinuating nothing has been done by anyone to try and get Melbournians to embrace the Storm that's bullshit . . . how's the crowd figures for the Storm in the wilderness compared to say Penrith in the heartland

None of that matters, just trivial pursuit, the question is are we doing enough to convince Murdoch League is worth f**king around with at all

Have you not read the stats out of Fairfax regarding the NRL ratings on Fox? They pretty conclusively show just how valuable the game is to their subscriber base.

As I posted earlier, if Foxtel try to lowball the NRL then it'd be more rational for Smith to go for an ESPN, Bein Sport or other FTA network. Bein Sport specifically isn't terribly fond of Fox remember.

I'd be surprised if ESPN made a play, they're losing rights in Australia already to Bein and sold their UK operations to BT.

I think you'll be surprised... they're losing out in other markets and so this would represent a great opportunity for them to gain a foothold in a new one.

whall15

Coach
The other obstacle to ESPN bidding is that they're a standard sports channel on Fox instead of Bein who can charge a premium. Though I'm sure that could change.

RoosTah

Juniors
The other obstacle to ESPN bidding is that they're a standard sports channel on Fox instead of Bein who can charge a premium. Though I'm sure that could change.
ESPN is also available of Optus Fetch TV, which is substantially cheaper than Foxtel even with ESPN extras.

Parra

Referee
This thread shows that League fans just like to whinge.

For twenty years it was "the game is owned by News and is the worser for it"

Then suddenly "Oh No, Don't upset News !!"

There are actually people siding with Murdoch?

The next.biggest gripe was "It's.not about the.money it's about fan friendly scheduling and FTA coverage"

We finally get that and it's "But it's about the money!!"

Yep.

The Melbourne Storm wasn't given the light of day compared to Lions/Suns in QLD. For majority of there existence there was little to no coverage of the Storm in comparison to AFL in QLD. Now all of sudden, News is giving AFL a giant push in QLD/NSW with coverage something the Storm got jack of it throughout it's time in News hands.

If Storm got Swans/Lions level of coverage it would of help gain awareness of the code aleast instead of being hidden in the shadows.

whall15

Coach
ESPN is also available of Optus Fetch TV, which is substantially cheaper than Foxtel even with ESPN extras.

Yes but if they continued to give away the channel for free basically to Fox they'd lose a lot of revenue, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

RoosTah

Juniors
Yes but if they continued to give away the channel for free basically to Fox they'd lose a lot of revenue, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

True, but who says they have to give it to Fox for free? As a League fan I'd happily just get it off Fetch. What's more, ESPN could include US rights in the deal and advertise games along all the hype around Jarryd Hayne

Canard

Immortal
I'm probably younger than you.

And it's not greater free to air coverage than ever. Weve had foir fta games before. Check your facts and stop believing the spin from the Greenberg gazette.

Yes it is.

Four live games > 3 Live games

End of discussion.

Your lying to try to defend your support of Murdoch

Yes it is.

Four live games > 3 Live games

End of discussion.

Your lying to try to defend your support of Murdoch

We had four games on FTA at some times in the 90s when we had Friday night, Saturday arvo (ABC), Sunday arvo and Monday nights. All live.

And the fact you have to create a dishonest straw man argument that I support Murdoch is weak as piss and at the same time hypocritically calling me a liar. f**king typical of super league scum club supporters though, you know the ones who handed the game to Murdoch in the first place.

RoosTah

Juniors
We had four games on FTA at some times in the 90s when we had Friday night, Saturday arvo (ABC), Sunday arvo and Monday nights. All live.

And the fact you have to create a dishonest straw man argument that I support Murdoch is weak as piss and at the same time hypocritically calling me a liar. f**king typical of super league scum club supporters though, you know the ones who handed the game to Murdoch in the first place.

The 90s? You mean the time when Foxtel first came onto the scene and was still finding its feet?

Are you trying to be dishonest, or do you really not know what happened?

maccattack

Juniors
Stupid question i spose but is there any news outlets (papers or online) that have balanced rugby league reporting?

The 90s? You mean the time when Foxtel first came onto the scene and was still finding its feet?

Are you trying to be dishonest, or do you really not know what happened?

I was stating that four FTA games is not new. I was called a liar for saying so. I don't know what the f**k you're on about but it seems to have not one single thing to do with the fact that four fta games.has been dome before and yet you're also suggesting I'm lying about something. Get your f**king story straight.

RoosTah

Juniors
I was stating that four FTA games is not new. I was called a liar for saying so. I don't know what the f**k you're on about but it seems to have not one single thing to do with the fact that four fta games.has been dome before and yet you're also suggesting I'm lying about something. Get your f**king story straight.

You're really not capable of rational debate at all are you? All expletives and emotion.

Yes, 4 FTA games happened before, but it happened in a time when Pay TV either didn't exist or was in its infancy, so it's not relevant to the point being made here.

And in case you're having trouble grasping that, the point was that 4 Live FTA games in THIS DAY AND AGE is a massive win when a lot more sport ends up on a Pay TV system that is restricted to 30% of the population.

Get it?

strong_latte

Juniors
You're wasting your time RoosTah... This bloke is just one long expletive riddled and garbled rant. Best just ignore him lest we get dragged into his petty and vindictive anti-Smith vendetta.

Sounds like he's in bed with Rebecca Wilson or something.

Piss off and watch AFL you douchebag.

You're really not capable of rational debate at all are you? All expletives and emotion.

Yes, 4 FTA games happened before, but it happened in a time when Pay TV either didn't exist or was in its infancy, so it's not relevant to the point being made here.

And in case you're having trouble grasping that, the point was that 4 Live FTA games in THIS DAY AND AGE is a massive win when a lot more sport ends up on a Pay TV system that is restricted to 30% of the population.

Get it?
The point being made was that four FTA games was above and beyond what the game has ever had. Which is bullshit.

You're making up some other point that was not being made because you can't comprehend a simple piece of information. Yet again.

_Johnsy

Referee
Interesting results for last nights FTA numbers 5 city metro.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/08/friday-21-august-2015.html
1 NINE NEWS 990,000
2 NINE NEWS 940,000
3 SEVEN NEWS / TODAY TONIGHT 926,000
4 SEVEN NEWS 921,000
5 BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS 824,000
6 A CURRENT AFFAIR 705,000
7 ABC NEWS 692,000
8 HOT SEAT 632,000
9 FRIDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE 583,000
10 FAMILY FEUD 564,000
11 TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS FIRST AT FIVE 540,000