What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foran Captain

Haynzy

First Grade
I agree with you. He is a decent player. He knows his job and performs it pretty well.

I get why some people don't rate him though. I think it has more to do with his personality and perceived lack of aggression on the field.

I don't get why people don't rate him. Sure he's no JWH or even Aaron Woods in attack but then neither of them defend anywhere near as well as he does, in fact I don't think there are many front rowers who defend as well as Mannah. Our middle is always much more fragile when he's off.

If not rating him means he's not the best all round middle forward in the game then sure, but in my opinion he is the backbone of our forward pack and crucial to us having a good year.

Having guys like Beau Scott and Watmough (if he plays at his best) around, hopefully improvement from our young forwards, and more space from our improved halves will give Mannah the chance to expand his game as he wont have to carry the whole pack by himself.

Forty20

First Grade
Another factor to note for Mannah is that in 2015 he was actually the most productive player in the entire NRL per minute played using the CVR metrics. Alas, these figures are not publicly disclosed beyond a yearly RLW article but it does speak towards how efficient Tim is on both sides of the ball when he is on the field.

He certainly isn't the best prop going around using the eye-test, even with the CVR per min feather in his cap, but he definitely adds a ton of value to the team. Yes, we could do better than Mannah but we are also far more likely to do worse in free agency without taking a huge cap hit. So you take what he offers happily for mine.

Bigfella

Coach
I don't get the mannah hate. He always rips in, dominates defenders with the ball in hand, makes metres, plays decent minutes and always defends well

I love him and he had a great last season but that's a bit of a stretch.

He doesn't play massive minutes and he doesn't really dominate the opposition. He never passes the ball - ever - and therefore poses a limited threat. In addition he doesn't really bend or break the line. He prefers to hit the ground quickly and look for a quick play the ball and I think this became too dominant in his game for a while.

Timmy's a great bloke, and a genuine NRL level prop, but that is about it as far as I see it.....and that's not knocking him at all. More than happy that he is at our club.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

He doesn't play massive minutes and he doesn't really dominate the opposition. He never passes the ball - ever - and therefore poses a limited threat. In addition he doesn't really bend or break the line. He prefers to hit the ground quickly and look for a quick play the ball and I think this became too dominant in his game for a while.

This sums it up pretty well. A good solid player who's commitment can't be faulted. But not without some limitations.

Eelementary

Post Whore
When I played, I based my style on a JWH/Adrian Morley type (ie: a mad, fearless runner with a tendency to try to smash people in D).

But I have to say - playing against Tim Mannah types was exhausting. They just kept coming back for more.

Players like me made highlight reels and were good for two or three huge runs and two or three brutal hits per game, but the Mannah types were constantly going.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Agreed, mate. He needs to develop a pass at or before the line, or a step.

But I like what he brings to the side.

^b0ss^

Juniors
I just thought i would throw 1 cent worth in and say i think he bends the line alot with his runs and gets fast play the balls i def dont think he looks to get the ground.I think that is his big asset in his attack nightmare to get to the ground. Doesnt miss tackles , passing game close to the line would be good but you need a bloke in the team that will just tuck it under the wing and run.

Utey

Coach
I think there is perception that he is on massive bucks, but I'm thinking for $250K, he provides good value. Unsure if I'm close to the mark there.

Gronk

Staff member
I just thought i would throw 1 cent worth in and say i think he bends the line alot with his runs and gets fast play the balls i def dont think he looks to get the ground.I think that is his big asset in his attack nightmare to get to the ground. Doesnt miss tackles , passing game close to the line would be good but you need a bloke in the team that will just tuck it under the wing and run.

Agree he creates good momentum with his quick PTBs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Timmy's a great bloke, and a genuine NRL level prop, but that is about it as far as I see it.....and that's not knocking him at all. More than happy that he is at our club.

Agreed. Every club needs genuine first graders, and for what he'd be getting paid we're probably getting good value out of him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think there is perception that he is on massive bucks, but I'm thinking for $250K, he provides good value. Unsure if I'm close to the mark there.

My guess is about $300k. He might still be the only player eligible for the long service discount too.

IFR33K

Coach

Never said he plays massive minutes. I said decent.

Watch him closely with the ball in his hand. Always attracts multiple defenders to put him to ground and even then he dominates, falling flat and back up on his feet quickly for a quick play the ball. And always seems to make metres despite the multiple defenders.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Never said he plays massive minutes. I said decent.

Watch him closely with the ball in his hand. Always attracts multiple defenders to put him to ground and even then he dominates, falling flat and back up on his feet quickly for a quick play the ball. And always seems to make metres despite the multiple defenders.

aaaaahhhh!! but have a look at his 'play the balls' he needs to seriously improve that part of his game because the refs aren't going to cop anyone just rolling it under their legs...

Haynzy

First Grade
aaaaahhhh!! but have a look at his 'play the balls' he needs to seriously improve that part of his game because the refs aren't going to cop anyone just rolling it under their legs...

Sure but the thing with his play the balls is that he very rarely gets rolled over so he gets to his feet quickly.

I'm expecting that with our hopefully improved forward pack, defences won't be able to devote as many guys to dominating Tim and that 'should' assist him in developing an offload.

IFR33K

Coach

Refs have other things they should prioritise....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Refs have other things they should prioritise....

Unfortunately that's 1 of things they will be cracking down on... There were probably up to 6 or 7 penalties for that infringement in both our lower grade games last week

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Unfortunately that's 1 of things they will be cracking down on... There were probably up to 6 or 7 penalties for that infringement in both our lower grade games last week

So we could see 20 penalties a game if refs crack down on the player not playing the ball correctly.

They should be more worried about the wrestling garbage thats in the game