What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

Glen

Bench
Was there any initial cover-up attempt by the Roosters? As far as I can tell, they refused her ridiculous requests, offered her refuge with some accommodation, then only supported a trusted player publicly with the presumption of innocence.

I'm arguing with some morons who are saying the club behaved deplorably but I can't remember anything of the kind reported outside of the BS calls to have him stood down?

BranVan3000

Coach
Yep, and now they all go quiet like nothing ever happened. Like what happened with Brett Stewart.

It's a shame the people who throw mud at an innocent man are never made to own up to their comments let alone apologise.

And Ben Teo. Weidler dragged him through the mud and he decided to leave the code entirely

flamin

Juniors
Was there any initial cover-up attempt by the Roosters? As far as I can tell, they refused her ridiculous requests, offered her refuge with some accommodation, then only supported a trusted player publicly with the presumption of innocence.

I'm arguing with some morons who are saying the club behaved deplorably but I can't remember anything of the kind reported outside of the BS calls to have him stood down?
If it was even suggested that the club did something wrong, you can believe the media would be all over it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wow, what a read. Just wow, disgrace to those whom actually suffer beatings at the hands of a man. (which is a real problem).

I also have renewed faith in our justice system...

No wonder the complainant was not there, for the verdict.

Roosters are just employer, read that and see the employer is irrelevant in these matters, be it a club, bank, gardeners, brick layers, the principles apply.

Poor Shaun his life exposed, what a disgrace for a women to lie and not see how this hurts real victims.

I hope he has a great season.

OVP

Coach
This woman obviously lied outright just to get money and attempt to destroy a man's life. Isn't the fact she lied in court perjury ? She should be in prison.

LESStar58

Referee
Here's the full judgement.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2016/02/29/1227767/207979-skd-judgment.pdf

Wow, what a read. Each charge is documented in full. It's pretty clear that Peris is just completely full of shit. Some notable gems being that her car was actually being repossessed because she failed to make loan repayments, unlike the story she spun to the Roosters about Shaun forcing her to sell it. The text messages show that he wanted out of the relationship in March 2015 but she insisted it continue. Hardly anything Peris said could be corroborated by any other witness.

He helped raise a kid that wasn't his?

Peris is a dirt bag.

Last Week

Bench
he should never have been charged

nfi what the police or DPP were thinking

probably looking for headlines

If there's sufficient evidence to proceed with an offence, it must be brought before the courts. Especially in the matter of domestic violence.

Glen

Bench
no

it's a statement
It's evidence. It's not particularly fair in this case but domestic violence allegations are always tricky and it's hard to say from reading a few articles whether the Police were justified in laying charges

Nice Beaver

First Grade
What you'd get is a deterrent to making allegations whether or not they were wrongful.

That silly mole will never learn.

Brett Stewart sued her and won for the same stupid shit she wrote about him at the time of the garbage charges put against him.

She is a bottom feeder who will never change her modus operandi.

And that rag she works for thrive on such dribble.

Lambretta

First Grade
Wow, what a read. Just wow, disgrace to those whom actually suffer beatings at the hands of a man. (which is a real problem)

Agreed. The transcripts are damning of her. Violence against women and rape of women are common place with only a small percentage of allegations ever ending in a guilty verdict in spite of a high percentage of men being guilty.

This an awful statistic which will only be made all the harder for genuine victims to gain justice with stuff like this coming before the courts.

The whole case it appears was financial

I have a friend who was beaten senseless, raped, had her breasts torn and was covered in documented bruises, scars etc and left with internal damage who took her attacker to court. Not guilty was the verdict.

How do people who are genuine victims gain justice when stuff like this happens? Suddenly all women are liars and real animals get off.

Lambretta

First Grade
no

it's a statement

It's not physical evidence - nor is it corroborated in the sense that an eye witness statement would be, but it is still evidence

The difficulty for the Police and the prosecution services is to decide how much weight that statement holds as evidence

At certain times and in certain political climates it can hold more weight than others. In most cases it holds very little - about as much weight as "no I didn't" from the defendant

What beggars belief is that there was no corroboration from any other parties. There were no photo's of any damage or third parties who could testify to her being assaulted.

There were also the issues of her being an unreliable witness who evaded questions and just made statements from the witness box and the issue of her approaching the Roosters for financial reward before going to the Police. Then there is the side issue of her previous claims.

All of the above was weighed by the Court - but not necessarily by the Police when bringing the case to the prosecution services. To be fair her nature in the box wouldn't be known to the Police, but they should have been seeing red flags.

The Police looked at one piece of evidence and decided to proceed on that basis.

I'm glad to see a 100% INNOCENT man has been exonerated. I never had any doubt. He's a kiwi after all.

Where's Shorty now? :sarcasm:

Valheru

Coach

The club certainly did nothing wrong.

They knew for a month prior to the arrest and charges being laid that there were major issue and allegations. They kept the NRL abreast of the situation and from memory they advised SKD to present himself to the police station once they knew charges were to be laid. That very day it hit the media.

Lambretta

First Grade

they just wanted to get on the front page and 6pm news

Possibly - but more than likely there is an understandable bias against Rugby League players which make it more likely for the Police to believe people when making allegations against them. Understandable when you consider past cases and the fact that these guys are incredibly strong and play a violent sport. (I'm not saying it is right - just I can see how conclusions are reached)

There is also a political pressure to ensure that claims are followed up on. Baring in mind the fact there is so much domestic violence in Australia and the fact that one woman dies every single week in Australia at the hands of someone she knows, this is not a bad thing. The fact the court case actually proceeded however does demonstrate a lack of judgement by the Police and the prosecution service.

If only other people with far better claims were taken as seriously by the authorities.