What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

Can you believe the imbeciles at Triple M voted the roosters win the 8th best moment of MNF and the souths win as the 1st best? I don't want to get in a roosters/souths pissing contest but they were essentially the same thing and as good comebacks as each other.

Yikes. Fox MNF did the same.

forward pass

Coach
So do I. I am just pointing out that when MNF was introduced - the NRL knew attendances would be poor but it gave them a better chance of a bigger TV deal and more $$$$$$. That is why they pay compensation to clubs for playing on those nights because no-one goes. The extra money made from TV rights waaay outweighs the cost of poor attendances and compensation payouts.

Lambretta

First Grade
MNF has been great. Was so good to watch a game after the first day back at work. I suspect the people that sook about it dont have fox

That and some people, unlike Broncos fans, had to endure their team playing home games on such a shit day

Very few people are complaining about having to watch the games on TV
But EVERYONE hates going to Monday Night Games

From a "I'm bored, I wanna watch footy on TV" point of view, Monday Night Football was great
From "Crowds, fan experience, how the game looks being played in front of empty stands" and almost every point of view Monday Night Football was utter gash.

Replacing Monday games with Thursday games (and adding in a useless 6pm Friday slot) shows how little the NRL cares about fans and how much of the focus is on broadcaster rights.

No other sport in the World sets itself up for TV first - everything else miles behind

Lambretta

First Grade
Friday 6pm will suck IMO, I reckon a lot of fans will be wanting MNF back after a bit of that

If fans are so stupid they want to replace something that doesn't work with something else that doesn't work, then they'll get what they deserve

Two games on a Friday, one in Queensland, one in Sydney - 7.30pm kick off
This was and remains the BEST formula

They won't find another way of bettering this

All they ever needed to do is play both games live in their respective markets as they used to and then not drag the second game out for hours with endless f**king adverts and everyone would have been happy

Nine created such a Dogs Breakfast of the whole affair in the first place and the NRL compounded it by coming up with the moronic solution of Monday Night Football.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So do I. I am just pointing out that when MNF was introduced - the NRL knew attendances would be poor but it gave them a better chance of a bigger TV deal and more $$$$$$. That is why they pay compensation to clubs for playing on those nights because no-one goes. The extra money made from TV rights waaay outweighs the cost of poor attendances and compensation payouts.

This is such a furphy. There is a lot more money to be made from a growing fanbase than from the extra $'s Monday or thrusday night gives the game. The game is just too lazy/too inept to chase those extra fans and instead happy to take the easy money from tv.

It rates up there with the NRL is better to watch on TV than live nonsense argument.

Valheru

Coach
So there have been a few comments regarding unfair contribution of Monday night games over the 10 years and whether that had an effect on the concept. Below is a list of teams sorted by home Monday night games with away games and total games included as well. Note, there is a mistake or 2 as the home total and the away total are out by 3 but it's close enough.

So make of this what you will.

Team Home Away Total
Melbourne 22 25 47
Canberra 20 9 29
Souths 19 16 35
Wests 19 11 30
Newcastle 18 14 32
Manly 18 20 38
Cronulla 17 23 40
Titans 16 12 28
Roosters 15 16 31
Saints 15 19 34
Parramatta 15 20 35
Bulldogs 14 11 25
Penrith 13 11 24
Cowboys 11 19 30
Brisbane 8 8 16
NZ 0 9 9

Penrith having the least amount of home games out of the Sydney sides is the most surprising stat to me. Also, I thought Manly and Cronulla would be the top of the pack for home games but apparently not.

POPEYE

Coach
Best thing about MNF was that it was the game most likely to entertain . . . if you like close games ie

If you think going to see one game of footy and all that entails is worth more than paying for a Fox subscription and watching every game all I can say is . . . yippee ki-yay

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
6pm timeslot works for us living in kiwiland but not many others, 9pm kickoff on monday night makes for a rough start to the week for early risers

siv

First Grade
Seems NRL cannot fathom that playing multiple games on the same time slot would work

2pm Sunday Fox 2pm Sunday Nine
4pm Sunday Fox 4pm Sunday Nine

I would add 2 at 8:00pm Saturday

Then one at 6:00pm Saturday

One 8:00pm Friday

simple

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems NRL cannot fathom that playing multiple games on the same time slot would work

simple

This would take an administration with balls and a self belief in its product. Sadly we have neither.

POPEYE

Coach

simple
Doesn't work for purists who like to watch every game as they happen . . . let those that only dabble in the game do the recording

siv

First Grade
Anyway no one wayches tv live anymore

Just record it and skip adds video refs etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn't work for purists who like to watch every game as they happen . . . let those that only dabble in the game do the recording

Id rather let the real purists turn out to watch games at decent times. Less than 200k watch games on Fox anyway most of the time, out of 20mill plus people is it worth screwing the opportunities for real fan engagement at the game? Go to the red button, seems to work fine for other codes.

moffla

Bench
Removing Monday Night Football is all well and good. But......when are we going to play our games?!?

So there have been a few comments regarding unfair contribution of Monday night games over the 10 years and whether that had an effect on the concept. Below is a list of teams sorted by home Monday night games with away games and total games included as well. Note, there is a mistake or 2 as the home total and the away total are out by 3 but it's close enough.

So make of this what you will.

Team Home Away Total
Melbourne 22 25 47
Canberra 20 9 29
Souths 19 16 35
Wests 19 11 30
Newcastle 18 14 32
Manly 18 20 38
Cronulla 17 23 40
Titans 16 12 28
Roosters 15 16 31
Saints 15 19 34
Parramatta 15 20 35
Bulldogs 14 11 25
Penrith 13 11 24
Cowboys 11 19 30
Brisbane 8 8 16
NZ 0 9 9

Penrith having the least amount of home games out of the Sydney sides is the most surprising stat to me. Also, I thought Manly and Cronulla would be the top of the pack for home games but apparently not.

I f***ing hated how we played Dragons at Home in 2011, 2012-15 on Monday night. In 2016 it was a Thursday night, an equally stupid scheduling cluster fudge.

I also think we pretty much only played the Sharkies for 10 years on Monday night.

Here are all the results up to 4 July 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Monday_night_NRL_results

Jetka100

Juniors
I can't believe people want a return to having games on at the same time. People hated the delayed telecast of the second Friday game. No broadcaster is going to agree to have competing games with another broadcaster unless there is a reduction in what they pay. The argument about crowd numbers would make more sense if there was a massive drop off in numbers, but for most clubs you are probably talking a few thousand at best compared to 100s of 1000s that watch the game on Monday night. I get that players don't like it, but when the NRL get control of the draw, they should be able to restrict it for each team to only have one MNF game as the home team and one as the away team.