What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

Canard

Immortal
Anyway no one wayches tv live anymore

Just record it and skip adds video refs etc

Delayed sport is should be categorized as a crime against humanity.

Only society stuck in the 1950s, like England, would condone it.

It would halve the TV monies also

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't believe people want a return to having games on at the same time. People hated the delayed telecast of the second Friday game. No broadcaster is going to agree to have competing games with another broadcaster unless there is a reduction in what they pay. The argument about crowd numbers would make more sense if there was a massive drop off in numbers, but for most clubs you are probably talking a few thousand at best compared to 100s of 1000s that watch the game on Monday night. I get that players don't like it, but when the NRL get control of the draw, they should be able to restrict it for each team to only have one MNF game as the home team and one as the away team.

Problem is you can't build the culture of attending games with what we currentLy have. I'd love to see the break down in the membership increases, I suspect most growth is in non ticketed or the three game memberships. Afl,tried Thursday nights, survived a couple of weeks until they insisted it move back to joint times at family friendly kick off time as the crowds dropped. They werent stupid enough to allow their attendances to be compromised by tv desires.

flippikat

Bench
6pm timeslot works for us living in kiwiland but not many others, 9pm kickoff on monday night makes for a rough start to the week for early risers

Yeah, I think audiences here in NZ are going to be the big winners from the move away from Monday night. I'd only ever watch it if it was a decent match-up, couldn't be bothered staying up otherwise. Hopefully this means the Matty Johns show gets an earlier time on Monday nights too. Currently that ends at midnight NZ time, waaay too late here.

Getting 8pm and 10pm (NZT) kickoffs on Friday night and losing a Monday night game is nothing but win for Kiwi viewers. :)

taipan

Referee
Problem is you can't build the culture of attending games with what we currentLy have. I'd love to see the break down in the membership increases, I suspect most growth is in non ticketed or the three game memberships. Afl,tried Thursday nights, survived a couple of weeks until they insisted it move back to joint times at family friendly kick off time as the crowds dropped. They werent stupid enough to allow their attendances to be compromised by tv desires.

Monday and Thursday night affect crowds ,that is set in stone.Friday night at 6pm is also hardly friendly.

Not every fan can get to 12 home games,some can only make 3 ,some even less.Whatever the membership is made up of and that applies to fumble ball,it's all income.

NRL crowds are also down not just because of Monday /Thursday,but by the poor performances of the big drawing clubs,Souths,Dragons,and even the Stuttering Bulldogs.The Roosters crowds down dramatically because of poor performances partly aided by Doggygate on social media.

You keep harping on about the AFL.
AFL crowds are down in Melbourne,horrendous in Queensland and they play at supposedly family friendly times.They don't play Thursday or Monday nights,they have all you beaut stadiums.And GWS have had zero impact on TV ratings and they attract few Sydney locals.

" Stupid enough' !!! When you have little money to assist grassroots ,perhaps expansion and you are looking at long term financial stability especially with 3 or 4 clubs in financial difficulty,you take the money.Especially when from 2018 the code controls the scheduling.AFL had monies on hand, to tell the TV stations to get knotted.

It hasn't affected the culture of attending games at the Sharks,with big increase in crowds,merchandise sales and triple increase in budget income.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ok few things, I am not critical of the games being played there now, just of the decision that NRl made last year when it signed the TV contract that has locked this terrible scheduling in. They have basically waved a white flag on thinking they can make the game popular enough to reach a significant strategy goal they set out in their strat plan on attendances

True and all income is good, but full ticketed is the best!

Crowd increases or decreases at club and overall avg are multi-factorial but you would have to be pretty dumb to think scheduling KO times isn't one of the biggest influencers of fans going to games

Again AFL changes are multi-factorial in same way as NRL's but having seen the negative impact playing on a Thursday makes they quickly ditched it, not just accepted lower crowds that it was causing

AFL got more money than NRL despite refusing to play at sht KO times and insisting that some games be on TV at the same time. So no you don't have to compromise on one to get the other if you are in a strong bargaining position. As the number 1 viewed sport in the country I would have thought NRL would have been in a decent bargaining position wouldn't you?

Sharks have had their best season ever and avg is 14.5k, which is better than their usual 12-13k but hardly earth shattering given the success of the season! How do you know Sharks income increase until annual report is released next year?

I can't believe people want a return to having games on at the same time. People hated the delayed telecast of the second Friday game. No broadcaster is going to agree to have competing games with another broadcaster unless there is a reduction in what they pay. The argument about crowd numbers would make more sense if there was a massive drop off in numbers, but for most clubs you are probably talking a few thousand at best compared to 100s of 1000s that watch the game on Monday night. I get that players don't like it, but when the NRL get control of the draw, they should be able to restrict it for each team to only have one MNF game as the home team and one as the away team.

Actually the problem is the broadcasters. Look at sport worldwide. There are plenty of sporting competitions where they have multiple games on at the same time (e.g. English Premier League, NBA, NFL). How do they do it? Simple, by telecasting games on more than one channel. The bigger problem is that Australian telecasters are the ones who only want one game on at a time. I don't see it effecting the revenue those sports make from their broadcast deals despite this.

If anyone is stuck with a 1950s attitude it is Channel 9 and to a lesser extent Fox Sports.

Jetka100

Juniors
I don't think you could compare the NRL with the massive global sports of EPL, NFL, etc. The NRL could choose to broadcast more than one game at a time, but the result of that would be less revenue because the broadcasters would pay less as a result of less overall viewers and reduced advertising opportunities. I doubt that would be made up through the possible increase in crowd numbers. There are quite a lot of fans who like the fact they can watch all games live as well as there being more opportunities through the week to watch live football.

Perth Red

Post Whore
so how did AFL get more TV $'s without this exclusivity of game KO time?

Ch7/Fox: AFL we would like you to move your games to sht KO times so we get more viewers
AFL: Get fcked
Ch7/Fox: ok cant blame us for asking, here's a bag full of money anyway

Jetka100

Juniors
so how did AFL get more TV $'s without this exclusivity of game KO time?

The issue has nothing to do with the AFL. The question is whether the NRL would get more money if they had games showing at the same time. The answer I would suggest would be no. In fact they would get less money. AFL got more money (not a huge amount more) because they came off a higher starting base, they have one more game each round, the games are longer with more advertisement opportunities and the NRL gave Old Rupert the shits when they went and organised the deal first with Channel 9.

Afl is playing this Thursday night.

big hit!

Bench
I don't like how there are only 2 matches on a Sunday with the first one beginning at 4pm. It might be early season scheduling, but Sunday still must be the predominant match day if the NRL is fair dinkum about crowds.....which given the intro of 6pm Friday night matches and merely replacing Monday with Thursday, it clearly is not.

Ideally,
8pm Friday (9)
4pm Saturday (Fox)
6pm Saturday (Fox)
8pm Saturday x 2 (9 & Fox)
2pm Sunday x 2 (9 & Fox)
4pm Sunday (9)
6pm Sunday (Fox)

siv

First Grade
I don't like how there are only 2 matches on a Sunday with the first one beginning at 4pm. It might be early season scheduling, but Sunday still must be the predominant match day if the NRL is fair dinkum about crowds.....which given the intro of 6pm Friday night matches and merely replacing Monday with Thursday, it clearly is not.

Ideally,
8pm Friday (9)
4pm Saturday (Fox)
6pm Saturday (Fox)
8pm Saturday x 2 (9 & Fox)
2pm Sunday x 2 (9 & Fox)
4pm Sunday (9)
6pm Sunday (Fox)

When has the NRL ever been fairdinkum about crowds

FireFalcons1

Juniors
Unpopular opinion here, They should bring MNF back, It's a much better timeslot than Friday 6pm games by a mile. Hardly anyone can make it to those types of games on a regular 9-5 job where as MNF is accustomed to almost everyone.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Unpopular opinion here, They should bring MNF back, It's a much better timeslot than Friday 6pm games by a mile. Hardly anyone can make it to those types of games on a regular 9-5 job where as MNF is accustomed to almost everyone.
it's too hard to do the draw and get teams from having short turnarounds