What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R 1 V The Dragons

Whino

Bench
This is the place to discuss the Match & Team Line ups.

Giddy up lets go.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
In.

Looking for a consistent start to the year, we were very slow to get our shit together in 2016. Also have the threat of 6-8 origin reps from our team.

I'd ask about the Dragons line up but Mary still hasn't figured out who will play halfback...

Whats the chances of Hook letting Mitch Rein have a crack at his old side?

maple_69

Bench
With Peachey certain to be in the centers for a month at least, I'd expect Latu/RCG, JFH and Leota to be regulars on the bench. Aku/Rein/Kikau/May would all be good options for the fourth spot. I'd give Rein a go against his old club and have a look at Aku next week.

Predicted team according to news.com.au:

Panthers: 1. Matt Moylan 2. Dean Whare 3. Waqa Blake 4. Tyrone Peachey 5. Peta Hiku 6. Te Maire Martin 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 9. Peter Wallace 10. James Tamou 11. Bryce Cartwright 12. Isaah Yeo 13. Trent Merrin. Interchange: 14. Mitch Rein 15. Leilani Latu 16. James Fisher-Harris 17. Moses Leota

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...b/news-story/2c8767ec1b4a7631b15636f133b00cd4

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm still far from convinced Rein was a good signing. I would like to see him get a shot against his old club though. I hope to be proven wrong on my doubts. His stocks have gone up a notch by getting a haircut.

GongPanther

Referee
Are all the match threads this season going to have dumb insults in the title again?

Agreed.

We really don't need to have someone showing us up by putting silly titles in the game threads.

We are generally thought as fair minded supporters,and being disrespectful to a great club such as St George doesn't win you hearts and minds.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I know we all think the Dragons are no chance in this one but they still have some good players. Dugan, Nightingale and Widdop in the backs and Packer, Fizzell, Vaughan, Thompson and Sims in the forwards. That as well as the home ground advantage. We need to turn up for this one or it may just pass us by.

Kilkenny

Coach
I suspect Mitch Rein is going to surprise a lot of fans. Has been outstanding in pre season training and by all accounts a change of clubs was what he needed to go to the next level. Will certainly be off the bench in Round 1 to play against his former club.

soc123_au

Staff member
I suspect Mitch Rein is going to surprise a lot of fans. Has been outstanding in pre season training and by all accounts a change of clubs was what he needed to go to the next level. Will certainly be off the bench in Round 1 to play against his former club.
I hope he kills it. I was critical of the signing, but I'm onboard with anyone that takes the field for us. At least until the point that it's obvious that they aren't up to it. I wasn't impressed when Yeo was named to debut, we know how that turned out.

This Year?

Immortal
I know we all think the Dragons are no chance in this one but they still have some good players. Dugan, Nightingale and Widdop in the backs and Packer, Fizzell, Vaughan, Thompson and Sims in the forwards. That as well as the home ground advantage. We need to turn up for this one or it may just pass us by.

I lol'd. There is no way the Panfers will lose, in fact they could be on top of the ladder at the end of the round.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Not necessarily the team I would go with but I think Hook will name something like this:

Moylan (C)
Whare
Peachey
Blake
Hiku
TMM
Cleary
Tamou
Wallace
RCG
Yeo
Cartwright
Merrin

Latu
JFH
Browne
Leota

18th Akauola

With NSW Cup being close to this:

Edwards
MWZ
Oldfield
Stein
Tuisese
May
Nicholls
Ellis
Rein
Kikau
CWH
Waddell
Katoa (C)

Cartwright
Clark
ZDC
Pua

If in fact Akauola is 18th Man I am not sure if he will play ISP the day before.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not necessarily the team I would go with but I think Hook will name something like this:

Moylan (C)
Whare
Peachey
Blake
Hiku
TMM
Cleary
Tamou
Wallace
RCG
Yeo
Cartwright
Merrin

Latu
JFH
Browne
Leota

18th Akauola

With NSW Cup being close to this:

Edwards
MWZ
Oldfield
Stein
Tuisese
May
Nicholls
Ellis
Rein
Kikau
CWH
Waddell
Katoa (C)

Cartwright
Clark
ZDC
Pua

If in fact Akauola is 18th Man I am not sure if he will play ISP the day before.

Aren't all 3 grades on the same day?

I think Rein will get a bench spot. Wasn't hopeless and came on early v Parra so usually a sign of round 1 plans

kinghippo

Juniors
For team balance I think rein should get a bench spot. It means we can cover every position in case of injury without to much fuss.
I hated having Hardaker on the bench.
I also hope akoula gets a spot, I love his aggression, him and JFH will some fear into other packs this year.
Hopefully he and leota are well in front of Browne

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I agree that Rein or Akuaola should be on the bench ahead of Browne. As I said above, the team I posed below is what I think they will pick not what I would pick.

franklin2323

Immortal
I hope we do a horses for courses on the bench. Someone like Browne is good in the wet. Dry fast surface should play the 2 hookers