What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R 1 V The Dragons

mxlegend99

Referee
Out of the 4 extra reserves Rein, Katoa & Edwards are all named in reserve grade while Akauolo isn't.
Maybe he sneaks onto the bench game day for someone? Unless we have someone in doubt.
I was just thinking maybe its because he's not certain to be fit after his head knock against Eels.

I would think 2 weeks was enough. But maybe we play it safe now. No sense risking a players health so early in the season. Finals you take the risk. Not Round 1.

Panther Pete

Juniors
No real surprises with the team. I just checked out the Dragons team thread and they reckon Mary will be sacked in a few weeks based on the team he has named against us.

chrisD

Coach
Probably as disappointing a team as could realistically be named. But what he names and what starts and where people end up playing are all often different things, and it doesn't matter much this end of the season and shouldn't matter much against the dragons.

Football is back and we're going to the grand final.

maple_69

Bench
Is that based on Browne looking the likely fourth bencher over Rein/Aku? Otherwise the side is exactly as expected.

betcats

Referee
Tim Browne... was very happy til I saw him there. No idea how he jumps Akauolo into the team.

Edit
Unless its the concussion from the trial?

Yeah maybe just being cautious, they have to name the extended bench and clubs are already naming players that are out through injury, Val Holmes for example. Brown is a solid option off the bench but I love Sitalekis aggression and energy. Him, Leota and JFH all coming off the bench would provide a big impact impact.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
No real surprises with the team. I just checked out the Dragons team thread and they reckon Mary will be sacked in a few weeks based on the team he has named against us.

Just had a look at the Dragons thread myself. Gees they hate Mcgregor don't they. One thread there calling for his sacking stretches to 99 pages. Even in the Team thread half the post are bagging him out.
Reminds me of us in the Matt Elliot days :)

Panther Pete

Juniors
Just had a look at the Dragons thread myself. Gees they hate Mcgregor don't they. One thread there calling for his sacking stretches to 99 pages. Even in the Team thread half the post are bagging him out.
Yeah I was surprised by their dislike for Mary. Their fans appear as confident they will lose as our are confident of a win. Unfortunately for me 40 years of supporting the panthers has conditioned me to never get your hopes up.

mxlegend99

Referee
Can you blame them... he has built an ordinary team. Picks shit players ahead of talented ones to play it safe.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah I was surprised by their dislike for Mary. Their fans appear as confident they will lose as our are confident of a win. Unfortunately for me 40 years of supporting the panthers has conditioned me to never get your hopes up.
This. No matter how probable a win is... we have lost so many easy games that I am never fully confident.

We then go and win the impossible ones. Round 1 is a lottery. Teams are still rusty and combinations are still forming.

Hiku learning wing and partnering Peachey. Whare learning wing and to partner with Blake. Tmm and Cleary playing their first game together. Our 2 to 7 will be nowhere near their best in Round 1. And that's where we absolutely stomp the Dragons.

Moylan isn't going to have DWZ and Mansour to dump the bsll to on kick returns either. We should still win. But I dont think we will be nearly as good as predicted in the first few rounds. I think Round 5 or 6 is when things start to click.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it is silly to assume this game is going to be anything but hard fought. If we win by 20 plus that would be great but I am not expecting the Dragons to be easy beats, at home, in Round 1. Hopefully our players don't have the attitude this game is a formality as some on here seem to think.

No real surprises with the squad announced. Thought Akauola may have been in front of Tim Browne. Be interesting to see the makeup of the final bench. Still think Mitch Rein will make the 17.

hindy111

Post Whore
Whats Ben Cartwright like? Related?
Any chance of all 3 in first grade together one day? Jed looks a solid prospect to me.

hindy111

Post Whore
This game is not the weather you want. Suits dragons.A wet bog fest.
Its a 50/50 for me but i go home team.Saint will play the percentages better.

If its dry Penrith by 13+ Wet suits dragons,dogs and makes most games a toss of coin.

Blues Riff

Bench
Blake and Whare hopefully just chop and change. If that combo clicks, imagine those two coming at ya.

Edit, In other news, we're playing in Pink. White one too white, saving the Black for home, ha , so don't be too shocked and disgusted.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Adrian Purtell could have been named 1 -17 and I would still have one a mad dog couldn't chew through just to see a round 1 team named. Bring it on.