What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

Capital

Juniors
I agree with you on spending 1m on a centre however, I'd the offer to Dugan from the Dragons is about 800k and to date he has no formal offers other than that from the Dragons.

Our spine of Tedesco, Mann or Field, Hunt and McInnes is well balanced with two marquee players in Tedesco and Hunt and two value buys in Mann/Field and McInnes.
possm, I don't disagree with you. It's a nice thought but unfortunately, I still believe you are dreaming. Firstly, I think you can forget about Mann. I also wish he could get a chance at 5/8 but thus far, I haven't seen anything to suggest he can make it as a 5/8. Field is our great hope. The main problem is that if that spine goes really well, the other two "value buys" are going to want an upgrade. As they should.

Secondly, you plan is good but with so much money invested in the forwards, halfback and a centre, there is no way SGI will have enough money to compete with other clubs for Tedesco.

I'm one of Duges biggest fans but he doesn't come before the team as a whole. The only way we will be able to get Tedesco is by letting Dugan go and if it comes to that, so be it. Tedesco is set to be the best fullback in the competition for several years (of course barring the emergence of new fullback). On the back of our forwards and Ben Hunt, he would be many times better than he is now at the Tigers IMO.

possm

Coach
I don't disagree with you. The Roosters have thrown out a figure of 1.3m for Tedesco, a usual tactic from them in an effort to lessen interest from other Clubs. They did the same when signing Ferguson.

Dugan at say 800k is great value at centre. If he doesn't like this offer, then let him go - providing we can secure the signature of Tedesco or another top line fullback.

In the same way I would not re-sign Widdop. Some say that Hunt is not an organising halfback. Well all I can say is he will have to become one because we have no top line organising halves in the Club and I don't think the Dragons are talking to any. Field is a running five-eighth and does not have the experience to organise the team. Widdop has never organised the team and thus the reluctance for Mary not to put him at 7.

If Dugan is retained as a centre and Widdop and some deadwood moved on, we should have enough cap to offer Tedesco 1m p/a. If he accepts this we would have the makings of a backline equal to any of the best in the competition.

slippery5

Juniors
How did you get away with that comment without anyone freaking out and claiming you are not you but me? Of course you are right. So far this year Widdop has played one good game (but not especially so compared to other team members), one crap game (but the whole team other than perhaps DeBellin, Vaughan and Duges was very poor) one crap game where it was business as usual and was the weakest link in attack and defense and last week where he was average at best. This being so, his form has improved a lot but in any club with a winning culture, supporters would still be demanding he be dropped.
Don't tell anyone, especially yourself !!!!!!!!

Capital

Juniors
I don't disagree with you. The Roosters have thrown out a figure of 1.3m for Tedesco, a usual tactic from them in an effort to lessen interest from other Clubs. They did the same when signing Ferguson.

Dugan at say 800k is great value at centre. If he doesn't like this offer, then let him go - providing we can secure the signature of Tedesco or another top line fullback.

In the same way I would not re-sign Widdop. Some say that Hunt is not an organising halfback. Well all I can say is he will have to become one because we have no top line organising halves in the Club and I don't think the Dragons are talking to any. Field is a running five-eighth and does not have the experience to organise the team. Widdop has never organised the team and thus the reluctance for Mary not to put him at 7.

If Dugan is retained as a centre and Widdop and some deadwood moved on, we should have enough cap to offer Tedesco 1m p/a. If he accepts this we would have the makings of a backline equal to any of the best in the competition.

Agree but I believe your mistake is not taking into account how much more money other clubs will be able to offer him. Clubs which don't have so much money invested in the forwards, halfback or a centre.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If this Tedesco thing actually is happening (which it probably isn't) I would say it would be announced well after tomorrow's game.
Doubt they'd announce it before they actually play the Tigers haha.

possm

Coach
If this Tedesco thing actually is happening (which it probably isn't) I would say it would be announced well after tomorrow's game.
Doubt they'd announce it before they actually play the Tigers haha.
Agree! However, if our forwards run riot over the Tigers pack, Tedesco will get a close-up look at the potential of our team for 2018. In negotiations to follow:
The name of our new coach for 2018.
Remind him we have Hunt / Field as our halves in 2018.
Point out the quality of our centres Dugan and Milne/Lafai.
Remind him of the damage our forwards have done to all the top sides.
A TPA and a Jeep thrown in and Bob's your uncle - Tedesco is a Dragon com November 1.

Capital

Juniors
Agree! However, if our forwards run riot over the Tigers pack, Tedesco will get a close-up look at the potential of our team for 2018. In negotiations to follow:
The name of our new coach for 2018.
Remind him we have Hunt / Field as our halves in 2018.
Point out the quality of our centres Dugan and Milne/Lafai.
Remind him of the damage our forwards have done to all the top sides.
A TPA and a Jeep thrown in and Bob's your uncle - Tedesco is a Dragon com November 1.
possm, I think we have to consider the possibility that next season, in order to be a genuione contender, #1-#7 are going to be different from this season. Of course if Duges stays he is going to be in the team and I think with speedy players replacing Nightingale and Lafai along with Field on the inside, Aitken may hold his place. The point is, watching Canberra I think rather than spend big money on Duges to play in the centres, the club is better off making a play for Cotric. The guy is only 18 and Leilua and Croker are hardly veterans. If he stays at Canberra he will be on the wing for a while even though apparently his preferred position is centre.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yet Millward who originally was not looking for a fullback, now publically says he is interested in talking to Tedesco and his manager.

He trying to put pressure on duges to sign.
We are not after teddy it a smokescreen to get duges to sign.
That all

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hey Dragonslayer,
Have you seen a bit of the reserves this year? I was interested to see you say Milne hasn't been setting the world on fire in NSW Cup. I wonder about his consistency.
Also, how has Dufty been going in reserves?

Crush
I have seen all bar one of illawarras games.
Dufty is going ok but not finding the room this year and thus not as many meters or tries.
I would give him 6 out of ten.
Milne defence is not as strong as last year.
Go missing in games.
I give him 4 out of 10.
He needs to go into beast mode more often.
To me the guy who is ready is herbert he has play strongly on the wing.
Last week over 120 meters and the week before as well.
I would give him 8 out 10
Imo

ALSGI

Bench
Crush
I have seen all bar one of illawarras games.
Dufty is going ok but not finding the room this year and thus not as many meters or tries.
I would give him 6 out of ten.
Milne defence is not as strong as last year.
Go missing in games.
I give him 4 out of 10.
He needs to go into beast mode more often.
To me the guy who is ready is herbert he has play strongly on the wing.
Last week over 120 meters and the week before as well.
I would give him 8 out 10
Imo
Thanks Sammy, good to know.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Clubs are lining up to sign Tedesco for 1 mil plus a season, while there are no reports of any other clubs offering Dugan close the the mil a season, that he wants he wants. So we are not the only club who is unwilling to pay him 1 mil a season.

We definitely should not be paying overs for Dugan, like we did on his last contract. Dugan should be thanking Saints for paying him 850K a season for the last few years. He has been over payed for the last 4 few years and wants to continue to be over payed.

barry

Juniors

possm

Coach
We have a way to buy Tedesco and keep Dugan which with some other changes would make our backline really competitive in 2018. The stumbling blocks are:

Dugan wanting to continue as a fullback and be paid 1m p/a.

Millward wanting to implement his theoretical ideas of placing a multitude of juniors in first grade as vacancies occur.

My suggestion is:
1. Immediately do all possible to sign Tedesco..
2. Place a new deadline for Dugan to make a decision on the Dragon's offer.

It concerns me that Milne has dropped of considerably this year. I am of the opinion that this is most likely the result of a negative decision towards his contract extension and the Club's preference to place him behind, Lafai, Mann and Aitken. With the possibility of Dugan moving to right centre in 2018, Milne would rightly feel despondent and probably wants an early release.

In my opinion Milne was our best centre last year. If he could replicate that form, he and Dugan would be a fantastic centre pairing. I'm sure Milne comes much cheaper than Lafai so retaining Milne and letting go Lafai would provide more space in our salary cap to buy one more marquee player.

possm

Coach
Yes it is very possible for it to go pear shape however, if we had more professional people being involved, we could cease the opportunity to take a great leap forward with the make up of our roster.

Doust has to be past his used by date and Millward is just part of the 'old boy' club who has failed as a lower grade coach and as an assistant to Mary. Like Craig Young he found wanting and is just moved on to another lucrative job within the Club.

possm

Coach
We are in this position due to lack of 3rd party money.
How do you know there is no TPA deals in place or that are available at the Dragons. In the past it is well reported that Gassier was on a TPA but this was kept very quiet until the TPA fell over.

I would be very sure that Hunt's 1m a year deal would include a TPA element. And if we signed someone like Tedesco, a TPA would be part of the deal.

I still believe that TPA's and player's NRL salaries should be listed on a public register. I'm not advocating that the taxable income of players be listed, only that the NRL salary - as listed in the Club's salary cap and the TPA's as registered with the NRL should be in the public domain.

Players often receive other income e.g. funds from rental investments, funds from business ventures and funds from other ventures such as books, TV shows and personal endorsements.

There still remains a dark cloud over the ability of some NRL clubs to have a large number of marquee players in their roster and how they manage to more likely win the signature of top line players.

Latest posts