What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Glendale

Juniors
Yep Maloney would be the linchpin. I still don't think it will happen (Sharks first need to sign someone decent to release him, then we need to sign him, I've heard Souths are also very keen) but we need to do absolutely everything we can to get him. He's exactly what we need. Experienced, competitive and a winner. I don't think he's too similar to Watson either. He might play 6 but he's got playmaking ability. At the end of the day they're both better than what we currently have and that's really all that matters.

1. Ponga
6. Watson
7. Maloney
9. Levi

NSW Cup:

6. Cogger
7. Lamb

England:

Hodko.

I like it a lot.

Problem with this plan, is that Lamb won't wait around 2-3 years to get his opportunity. I think he'd be happy to wait 1 year in Reserve Grade but anything longer and him and Cogger would want out. Watson is coming and has to start, Ponga's at fullback and Levi's at 9, so he has to be in the halves as well. So you'd have to give Maloney a one year deal, he'd want longer then that.

Cronk would be ideal here. But Newcastle isn't in Sydney..

Our halves are settled. Watson and Lamb will be the halves. We might keep Hodko around for experience.

Old dog

Juniors
Problem with this plan, is that Lamb won't wait around 2-3 years to get his opportunity. I think he'd be happy to wait 1 year in Reserve Grade but anything longer and him and Cogger would want out. Watson is coming and has to start, Ponga's at fullback and Levi's at 9, so he has to be in the halves as well. So you'd have to give Maloney a one year deal, he'd want longer then that.

Our halves are settled. Watson and Lamb will be the halves. We might keep Hodko around for experience.
Sounds like Hodko is sticking

Noname36

First Grade

This is assuming that Lamb kicks on though, and I personally am not that convinced. I do think he has a great kicking game but he doesn't have much else at this stage so he doesn't ask enough questions to the defence.

I think not chasing after an experienced and proven performer in Maloney in the hope that Lamb may develop is stupid (especially when we need someone more experienced in the spine anyway). If Lamb is good enough he will force himself into the side. Watson can rotate with Levi or something if that ends up happening.

Frederick

Staff member

I get the Lamb is a local and has been pretty much forced to do it all himself this year, but is he really the answer? I really don't think I've seen enough from him to say that he is. We've been in plenty of contests this year that have needed a half to come up with the right option to win it for us and he hasn't. Yes, I know he's young, and he hasn't got a lot of experience around him, but he gets that "deer in headlights" look about him far too often. I haven't seen much that convinces me he won't turn out like Luke Walsh or Scott Dureau.

Watson and Maloney are both worlds above him. If we sign Maloney for three years, and Lamb cracks it and wants out, then so be it. There will be other halfs coming through after three years. Jack Johns might be ready to make the step up, and our championship Harold Matts team will be playing under 20s. I don't think it's worth possibly missing out on a player of Maloney's caliber just because Lamb Shank might be offended...

Old dog

Juniors
No matter who plays in the halves, forward domination is the key, let's see what they all can do with a strong, robust pack. They will all be better but by how much?
Am really looking forward to next season.

Reactions: Btp

Frederick

Staff member
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but we're apparently very keen on Joe Ofahengaue

Glendale

Juniors
I get the Lamb is a local and has been pretty much forced to do it all himself this year, but is he really the answer? I really don't think I've seen enough from him to say that he is. We've been in plenty of contests this year that have needed a half to come up with the right option to win it for us and he hasn't. Yes, I know he's young, and he hasn't got a lot of experience around him, but he gets that "deer in headlights" look about him far too often. I haven't seen much that convinces me he won't turn out like Luke Walsh or Scott Dureau.

Watson and Maloney are both worlds above him. If we sign Maloney for three years, and Lamb cracks it and wants out, then so be it. There will be other halfs coming through after three years. Jack Johns might be ready to make the step up, and our championship Harold Matts team will be playing under 20s. I don't think it's worth possibly missing out on a player of Maloney's caliber just because Lamb Shank might be offended...

Yep, I totally get what you're saying. But we sign Maloney, we almost certainly lose Lamb and run the risk of him becoming a great player at another club, after the club has put so much time into him.

Like it or not, and some people have doubts/dislike a few players eg. Sione, Lamb, Barnett- but when Brown and the club started on this rebuild 18 months ago- the key was finding a core group of local juniors that were going to take the club forward, we then needed to get as many games as possible into them. That core group has been pretty well established now I think, Saifiti x2, Sione, Lamb, Barnett, Levi are the guys that we identified and have tried to get into them as much experience as possible, we've used a lot of players but these are the only guys looking likely to keep their spot in 2018, the rest of the side will be changing around them. Their position in the side will not be compromised- they're our future, until they've failed they won't be moved on.

Spot On

Coach
The usual place

Not confident Wayne will let him go after Herman got away from him though

Well we all know Wayne baby does not pay more than $5 for a front rower. He's ours. Just show him the money and get it over with.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
“It will be hard to leave,” said Ese’ese, speaking for the first time since agreeing to terms with the Knights.

“It was a tough call to make, under Wayne Bennett I’ve learned so much but I have to do the best thing for myself and my family.

“This deal can set me up for life.”

“The big attraction was the starting spot at Newcastle,” said Ese’ese, who has started in eight of 22 games for the Broncos.

“I feel I’m ready for that responsibility and I haven’t been able to get that regularly at the Broncos.

“I have nothing bad to say about the Broncos. Wayne gave me a helping hand and I will be forever grateful for what the club has done for me on and off the field.

“But career wise, Newcastle is the right move for me. I will be in the starting line-up and they have given me the opportunity to develop as a starting player.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/379985b26562477f758c088b45797cae

slotmachine

First Grade
Why would anyone have faith in these juniors kicking on? How many genuine rep players have the knights produced in the last 15 years? One, if you count Aku.

Nobody is saying no to a current origin half because some kid with 15 first grade games might be sad.

Noname36

First Grade
Yep, I totally get what you're saying. But we sign Maloney, we almost certainly lose Lamb and run the risk of him becoming a great player at another club, after the club has put so much time into him.

Like it or not, and some people have doubts/dislike a few players eg. Sione, Lamb, Barnett- but when Brown and the club started on this rebuild 18 months ago- the key was finding a core group of local juniors that were going to take the club forward, we then needed to get as many games as possible into them. That core group has been pretty well established now I think, Saifiti x2, Sione, Lamb, Barnett, Levi are the guys that we identified and have tried to get into them as much experience as possible, we've used a lot of players but these are the only guys looking likely to keep their spot in 2018, the rest of the side will be changing around them. Their position in the side will not be compromised- they're our future, until they've failed they won't be moved on.

If we start prioritising unproven local juniors over signing proven performers then we're back to the Hagan days.

Lamb could very well kick on to be a good player but we haven't seen anything yet to suggest he'll even go on to offer even half what Maloney would now.

I know we've put work into him but that doesn't mean he'll ever be the best option. Maloney and Watson are leagues above Lamb at the moment and he shouldn't get a free ride at the expense of what is better for the squad just because he's a Newcastle junior.

Latest posts