What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo opts to play for Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an amazing decision from Jason in my opinion , the game will never grow if Nz and Australia just keep buying the best talent from the islands. Same with England and the home nations. These nrl stars should inspire some pride in these island nations it's not like they need the money.

We didn't buy him. He's from Auckland.

morningstar

Juniors
Triple m reporting that there are 8 players who are considering defecting from NZ to play for tonga.

No names mentioned though. Anyone got more info on this?

Lolohea, Vatuvei, Hurrell, Kata, Fusitua, SST, Ma'u.

Only the last 3 of them were a chance of making the team.

Way to go boys, you owe NZ league absolutely nothing for your current occupation and wage packets. :rolling_eyes:

morningstar

Juniors
This pains me as some of our all time greats are PI heritage but to avoid being held to extortion in future do we have to build the nucleus of the team around maori and pakeha players?

Rory

Juniors
This pains me as some of our all time greats are PI heritage but to avoid being held to extortion in future do we have to build the nucleus of the team around maori and pakeha players?

dont see a problem with having a mostly maori team, if anything, its good. Tongans would know next to nothing about what maoris do because there not maoris.

Matua

Bench
Lolohea, Vatuvei, Hurrell, Kata, Fusitua, SST, Ma'u.

Only the last 3 of them were a chance of making the team.

Way to go boys, you owe NZ league absolutely nothing for your current occupation and wage packets. :rolling_eyes:
Yep, Vatuvei and Lolohea wouldn't have made the Kiwis. Hurrell and Kata shouldn't ever be considered for the Kiwis anyway.

Grapple

Bench
It's bad enough there's not much loyalty in professional sports, but to do it at an international level is another leap altogether. I doubt players would make that decision if they knew they couldn't return.

How good would it be if NZRL turned this around and made it a chance for NZ eligible juniors to step up? I think you could really market it well, and bring the RLWC more advertising. Not to mention helping bring first time NZ rep players into the international spotlight.
We might lose that skill level, but it would go a long way to restoring the jumper, and chances are you'd have more people interested in watching and going to the game.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So Tonga will be....

1. Hopoate
2. Fusitua
3. Hurrell
4. Jennings/Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Lolohea
7. Hingano
8. P Kaufusi
9. Some hooker
10. D Fafita
11. Ma'u
12. Taukeiaho
13. Taumalolo

Yeah......not bad

shiznit

Coach
So Tonga will be....

1. Hopoate
2. Fusitua
3. Hurrell
4. Jennings/Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Lolohea
7. Hingano
8. P Kaufusi
9. Some hooker
10. D Fafita
11. Ma'u
12. Taukeiaho
13. Taumalolo

Yeah......not bad

More like....

1. Taumalolo
2. Taumalolo
3. Taumalolo
4. Taumalolo
5. Taumalolo
6. Taumalolo
7. Taumalolo
8. Taumalolo
9. Taumalolo
10. Taumalolo
11. Taumalolo
12. Taumalolo
13. Taumalolo

And they’d still probably beat the Kiwis... :joy::joy:

Clarkent

Juniors
Kiwis acted like it's a disgrace... I remember a few years back when Matagi was named in the Samoan squad for the four nation and the kiwis took him a week later and the Samoan coach wasn't happy about it... And he only played like 20 minutes in that tournament... Taumalolo doesn't owe nz shit

adamkungl

Immortal
Allowing players to spread their so called loyalty over two nations makes international rugby league look a joke.

Rugby League made it's bed....

Reasons for Rugby League to have a one-nation rule:
- Some other sports do it

The idea that this is the correct and only way to run international sport is a baseless legacy of other sports developed in another era.

No, you put some respect back in the jersey. Zero chance this happens under another coach/management. The NZRL have brought this upon themselves.

Shorty

Staff member
Still happy to see Tamou’s career on the decline.

I think Papalii is suffering for playing for the Raiders. But yeah. Good
I know Tamou's family, they actually consider themselves Aussies and huge NSW supporters, the entire family.
Fairly strange lol.

beave

Coach
Has Lolo come out and actually said ‘I don’t want to play for NZ because of the Bromwich/Proctor ban’?

Maybe he just think Kidwell is a complete f**king muppet and doesn’t want to play in that environment. Might say more about NZ league than anything.

DC_fan

Coach
Got to start somewhere! Happens in other codes? And other codes dont have obstacles put in front of them like rugby league has in many countries. Get that one up yu!

Other codes! I do not know of any other sport where players move from representing one country to another and back again, all dependent on their mood at the time. If you do then please enlighten us with your grand knowledge.

A perfect example of this swap and change is Jarryd Hayne, who since he made his international debut in 2007 has represented Australia and Fiji. He again will be representing Fiji in this years World Cup. For all anyone knows at the moment he could again be playing for Australia next year. If you don't see a problem with that, then you seriously need to have a rethink.

All players should make a decision as to which nation they wish to represent and they should be tied to that decision.

Stallion

First Grade
Other codes! I do not know of any other sport where players move from representing one country to another and back again, all dependent on their mood at the time. If you do then please enlighten us with your grand knowledge.

A perfect example of this swap and change is Jarryd Hayne, who since he made his international debut in 2007 has represented Austr
alia and Fiji. He again will be representing Fiji in this years World Cup. For all anyone knows at the moment he could again be playing for Australia next year. If you don't see a problem with that, then you seriously need to have a rethink.

All players should make a decision as to which nation they wish to represent and they should be tied to that decision.

Rugby union. And im sure their are other sports that do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts