What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: Australia v England at Perth (Optus Stadium) on Jan 28, 2018 - England won series 4-1

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm not sure why you think sabermetrics and IQ tests are linked. You seem to take mocking as a literal statement.

Are you on the spectrum?

They're not linked per se, bar the mathematical and statistical reasoning involved in sabermetrics is a component that IQ tests examine. But IQ tests goes beyond that limit. However, you linked them when I said, and I quote,

other than the fact that both of us think you're a complete moron. Sabermetrically.

Now I get you see me as a target that you want to take down logically as I have embarrassed and offended you previously. But you're going to have bring your A game to do it. If this is your A game, you're lacking. Step it up a notch or two Bazal, cos right now, I could drink 3 bottles of Sauvingnon Blanc, origin regardless, and still mop the floor with you.

Bazal

Post Whore
They're not linked per se, bar the mathematical and statistical reasoning involved in sabermetrics. But IQ tests goes beyond that limit. However, you linked them when I said, and I quote,

Now I get you see me as a target that you want to take down logically as I have embarrassed and offended you previously. But you're going to have bring your A game to do it. If this is your A game, you're lacking.

Haha. You do get that I was mocking you, yes? That doesn't mean I'm linking the two. You made that connection.

As for my A game, I save that for people intelligent enough to understand it. You don't even understand people mocking you for your love of sabermetrics (and subsequent change of opinion) or your severe overrating of a bog average bowler.

You couldn't embarrass me unless we were related.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha. You do get that I was mocking you, yes? That doesn't mean I'm linking the two. You made that connection.

As for my A game, I save that for people intelligent enough to understand it. You don't even understand people mocking you for your love of sabermetrics (and subsequent change of opinion) or your severe overrating of a bog average bowler.

You couldn't embarrass me unless we were related.

Dumb dumb, which one is it? Did I make the connection of mockery? Or not?

Here's a hint, a I quoted your connection where you grammatically linked the two.

You further don't understand - that there was no subsequent change of opinion. Hiney made an insult to people using spreadsheets, and I said I would prefer those spreadsheets to what is his bare opinion. God knows what Always Green thought, or was thinking when he both suggested that sabermetrics is not part of an exercise in personal judgment and that I had swayed. I doubt that he has a particularly analytical mind at the best of times. I did ask him. He refused to answer.

But hey - if you want to endorse him too - be my guest.

England B using sabermetrics win away. Australia using 4 best bowlers lose at home. Swim upstream at your leisure.

There's already more people on this site calling for a longer batting order for Australia. So your minority crackpot insult of me has already failed.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Dumb dumb, which one is it? Did I make the connection of mockery? Or not?

Here's a hint, a I quoted your connection where you grammatically linked the two.

You further don't understand - that there was no subsequent change of opinion. Hiney made an insult to people using spreadsheets, and I said I would prefer those spreadsheets to what his bare opinion. God knows what Always green thought, or was thinking. I doubt that he has a particularly analytical mind at the best of times. I did ask him. He refused to answer.

Just like you refused to answer what tennis jokes that other bloke made?

You think you're a genius but you don't understand simple concepts. I'll spell it out for you this once. I wasn't linking sabermetrics and intelligence. I was mocking your reliance on irrelevancies by using it an irrelevant context.

Now you see why I don't bother with my "A game". You'd drown in a bowl of soup

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Still has 4 bowlers.

Look at what took you to number 1.

You had 4 batsmen, a keeper bat, and Watson with Maxwell, with Faulkner scoring runs.

That was 8 wickets that the opposition had to take before the game was beyond hope.

The tail in your suggested team still appears at only 6 down.
Well currently, we don't have good enough all rounders going around to do that, and our bowlers are running low on gas at the moment

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Uzzie
4. Smith
5. S Marsh
6. Head
7. Maxwell
8. M Marsh
9. Carey
10. Starc
11. Haze/Cummins

But that leaves you seriously short in the bowling stocks.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Seriously - who gives a f**k?

Anyway, back on topic I imagine Australia would kill to have a Hussey/Bevan style batsman available to them.

Some pitches need an accumulator, you can't load your team with hitters all the time and expect it to work. So many wickets on both sides fell when players tried to force the pace. Once Smith went early it was always going to be a nervous time.

Whether it's rotating strike or keeping the hitter calm and focused at the other end, Australia's batting order really lacks that cool head in the middle to run the show and assess the situation.

As much as some don't like Root, he played that anchor role beautifully and had Morgan there if needed with others doing the hitting around them.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Just like you refused to answer what tennis jokes that other bloke made?

Read back. Already answered.

You're behind. Again.

You think you're a genius but you don't understand simple concepts. I'll spell it out for you this once. I wasn't linking sabermetrics and intelligence. I was mocking your reliance on irrelevancies by using it an irrelevant context.

I understand simple concepts and grammar fine.

other than the fact that both of us think you're a complete moron. Sabermetrically.

See how you used the adverb form of Sabermetrical as a stand alone sentence? Now if you meant something else, that's your typo to sort out. I only read what you write.

Now you see why I don't bother with my "A game". You'd drown in a bowl of soup

Well, intellectually my A game has stood upto qualifiactory examination. How about yours? Are you just a self proclaimed genius, or got something to support it? But i really prefer to demonstrate my skills and not my qualifications. There's plenty of genuises without qualification. But you don't strike me as one.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well currently, we don't have good enough all rounders going around to do that, and our bowlers are running low on gas at the moment

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Uzzie
4. Smith
5. S Marsh
6. Head
7. Maxwell
8. M Marsh
9. Carey
10. Starc
11. Haze/Cummins

Haynetrain won't like this, not one bit.

The makeup of the side is ok, it's the players being picked that's the issue. Finch played well this series but Head should be given the opening spot for a bit. Seriously unlikely Finch goes to the world cup and White is no chance so why even pick him

Warner
Head
Khawaja (or another genuine bat)
Smith
Stoinis
Marsh
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Spinner (Lyon or Zampa the leaders)

Maxwell in the squad too.

Bazal

Post Whore
Read back. Already answered.

You're behind. Again.

I understand simple concepts and grammar fine.

See how you used the adverb form of Sabermetrical as a stand alone sentence? Now if you meant something else, that's your typo to sort out. I only read what you write.

Well, intellectually my A game has stood upto qualifiactory examination. How about yours? Are you just a self proclaimed genius, or got something to support it? But i really prefer to demonstrate my skills and not my qualifications. There's plenty of genuises without qualification. But you don't strike me as one.

Haha what a tosser.

You missed a simple concept so you try and bury it in horseshit. Boring

ANTiLAG

First Grade

The makeup of the side is ok, it's the players being picked that's the issue. Finch played well this series but Head should be given the opening spot for a bit. Seriously unlikely Finch goes to the world cup and White is no chance so why even pick him

Warner
Head
Smith
Stoinis
Marsh
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood

Needs more Tim Paine at 7 to match the bowler at 8

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha what a tosser.

You missed a simple concept so you try and bury it in horseshit. Boring

What simple concept did I miss?

Are you going to apologise over your accusation re: 2 Weeks and tennis jokes?

And are you prepared to answer my question regards your own qualifications as an intellectual?

Sorry if you feel like I am targetting you with all these awkward questions, I'm not. But you seem to want to step upto the plate and throw insults at me, so why don't you play ball?

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Uzzie
4. Smith
5. S Marsh
6. Head
7. Maxwell
8. M Marsh
9. Carey
10. Starc
11. Haze/Cummins

I think Carey could bat 8 in that team to make room for another bowler. 30 overs out of Marsh, Maxwell and Head is beyond pushing it.

jargan83

Coach
I'm really looking forward to watching the double header. Rugby League is really going to be pushed into Western Australia since the ARU decided to f**k the west. Are they expecting a good turn out for the NRL in Perth this year? I can imagine it would be well attended as you guys in WA are very accepting of all sports from my own experience.

Phone died earlier so apologies for the late-ish reply.

I’m looking forward to the double header, I doubt it will sell the ground out but I’d love to see maybe 30k-40k.

I would love to see the NRL invest in WA and despite many shitting on WA, mostly because of Perth Red I assume, I would love a team to be based here again one day.

West Aussies seem to be far more accepting of League then Victorians, I can have a conversation with heaps of people about League over here, granted they only have a passing/casual interest but the interest is there.

The WARL started a 3rd grade comp a couple of years ago. Plenty of room to grow out West as far as League is concerned.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
23i2x9.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal

Warner
Head
Smith
Stoinis
Marsh
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood

Finch will go to the WC imo....... he's more proven than Head.....

Head can bat at 3....

Anyhow we shan't win the World Cup.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
other than stokes, England have had their top squad this series, they have shown their best
Its their wc squad

we will get better, our w/c squad will look different

Smith played so poorly all series, I guess that can happen after giving his all in the ashes
They have better lower bats in ODI' than us too....

Woakes , Rashid, Curran are all very very handy....

You could even bat Woakes at 8 and Ali at 9 with Stokes batting at 7.

What a team this would look:

Roy
Bairstow
Hales
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Anderson

Rashid
Wood
Billings
Curran

Etc......

They've a fine fine ODI team......

Easy to see why them and India are superior to us.....

We are move evenly matched with the likes of NZ and South Africa imo.... just a class level down than the top 2 currently...

I'm shocked as to how South Africa are first in ODI'

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Easy to see why them and India are superior to us.....

We are move evenly matched with the likes of NZ and South Africa imo.... just a class level down than the top 2 currently...

I'm shocked as to how South Africa are first in ODI'

Safrica is superior to NZ. They won here last year - only games they lost were a Guppie big hundred (180 or so iirc) and a Taylor 100 in a match that went to the wire.

NZ beat Aus at home easy in the same year.

I'd say Safrica with Amla de Kock ABDV Faf Miller Tahir Rabada 2 of Morris Pretorious Phehlukwayo and Morkel plus more like Parnell in reserve is a worthy #1 team even with their quotas.

If ABDV gets set, and his 50+ average suggests he will a lot more than say Miller, and Safrica have a platform - it is tough going for the opposition as his SR just goes ballistic. Miller is no slouch neither.

Safrica has won 2 series in NZ recently. Aus, India and everyone else have lost since like 2013/14.

Last edited:
How did NZ go in the last World Cup?

Give an ODI series meaning a la World Cup and Australia go close or win it.

Play meaningless ODI series after 4-0 Ashes campaign and Australia amble through and couldn't care less.

Latest posts