What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: Australia v England at Perth (Optus Stadium) on Jan 28, 2018 - England won series 4-1

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Did I? Again, I presume you can quote me...

Sabermetrics indicate you're making shit up again

Your sabermetricals don't lie.

You sabermetrically defined his peak 90+ sr (well above his career) as all good. Do you really want me to quote?

Run the sabermetricals again. Match your previous result.

Cos Ill just google your handle with 90. ;)

Don't bother editing, I'll use the cache if I have to.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd have Paine in my test team no fears but his strike rate and ability to score quickly to boost innings in the shorter formats negates his keeping skills.

If he's going to be in the team he needs to bat top 4 IMO. He's the kind of batsman we lack in the middle overs who anchors the innings, they all want to pongo everything when the best way to score in the middle overs is to rotate the strike and take toll of the bad balls. You don't need to be going mental all the time

He can strike just fine when he's on but he's more of a classical bat and more useful in the middle overs IMO.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
If he's going to be in the team he needs to bat top 4 IMO. He's the kind of batsman we lack in the middle overs who anchors the innings, they all want to pongo everything when the best way to score in the middle overs is to rotate the strike and take toll of the bad balls. You don't need to be going mental all the time

He can strike just fine when he's on but he's more of a classical bat and more useful in the middle overs IMO.

Anchor the innings? How about finding someone who can keep it afloat?

Hur hur hur.

Bazal

Post Whore
Your sabermetricals don't lie.

You sabermetrically defined his peak 90+ sr (well above his career) as all good. Do you really want me to quote?

Run the sabermetricals again. Match your previous result.

Cos Ill just google your handle with 90. ;)

A 90+ SR is fine. Of course I said that, because it's true. If you disagree with that then that's your own stupidity

Why don't you sabermetrically go f**k yourself?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yeah - but so will England A.

Straya - you gots to sort your team balances g

other than stokes, England have had their top squad this series, they have shown their best
Its their wc squad

we will get better, our w/c squad will look different

Smith played so poorly all series, I guess that can happen after giving his all in the ashes

Bazal

Post Whore
other than stokes, England have had their top squad this series, they have shown their best
Its their wc squad

we will get better, our w/c squad will look different

Smith played so poorly all series, I guess that can happen after giving his all in the ashes

Except they were missing The Mighty Chris Woakes, Bradman of the number 8 position and World XI superstar.

It's a miracle win that will go down in the annals of history

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Except they were missing The Mighty Chris Woakes, Bradman of the number 8 position and World XI superstar.

It's a miracle win that will go down in the annals of history

But you lost 4-1, all games without Stoakes, and one without Woakes who only averages 170 with the bat at well over a run a ball on Straya tour.

Keep doing what you're doing Straya. Leave the Sabermetricals to England. 1 in 5 you beat them at home with their test proven inferior cricketers. That'll learn 'em

undertaker

Coach
My thoughts after today's match:

- Whoever at Ch9 thought Kevin Pietersen was a great overseas commentator needs their head pulled in. I really hope Ch9 don't plan to bring him out here regularly in the future. Some of his stints remind me of when Wally Lewis was a commentator during Origin, cheering for QLD in the background of the commentary box.

Why David Lloyd or even Michael Vaughan weren't used during this ODI series is a mystery. Either of them would've injected something more insightful and relevant. No surprise Pietersen runs and pisses off from the BBL once his team starts losing. Very typical of the man during his career.

- Great crowd of 53k+ at the new Perth Stadium, but as someone mentioned earlier, these AFL stadiums lack something. Looks like one big slab of concrete crap, reminiscent of Adelaide Oval post-redevelopment. Also, the straight boundaries looked a bit short. Will be interesting to see how the test match vs India later this year pans out, given the drop-in pitch. Pitch will be a far cry from the one at the WACA in 2012 which saw India risoled by an innings within 3 days

- ICC need to do away with this 2 x 25 over ball nonsense in ODIs and use the white Dukes ball used in the 1999 World Cup which lasts the 50 overs. Kookaburra balls have been crap for a while, yet at least $500 ($125 each) worth of Kookaburra Turf balls are used in one ODI (I say 'at least', as sometimes their white ball hasn't even lasted 20 overs before having to be changed due to going out of shape, even in T20 matches), that's a very good money earner for an inferior quality of product. Ironically, although Dukes is based in England, ECB will love to keep the status quo so they can keep spanking the Kookaburra balls around as I believe England have hit more 300+ scores in ODIs over the past 3 years since the new ball from each end rule was introduced.

- Australia have a got a lot of work to do to defend their World Cup in 2019. Squad for this ODI series vs England should've comprised of players who are highly in contention for the World Cup squad, meaning Cameron White should've never been selected in the first place. Would've loved to have seen Billy Stanlake given a run, as his height, 90mph+ pace and bounce would've troubled the poms.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
A 90+ SR is fine. Of course I said that, because it's true. If you disagree with that then that's your own stupidity

Why don't you sabermetrically go f**k yourself?

If anyone is being sabermetrically f**ked - its your cricket team. But you don't appreciate this with your Hiney endorsed 'pick the 4 best bowlers'. Well good for you. Maybe you can explain Curran's five for in test related bowling skill.

I'll go bask in Woakes' batting average of 170 while you try and find what went wrong for Straya in Finch's diet.

Bazal

Post Whore
If anyone is being sabermetrically f**ked - its your cricket team. But you don't appreciate this with your Hiney 'pick the 4 best bowlers'.

What does someone else's opinion gave to do with me?

Is this like you picking a random Aussie and having a crack at them about tennis jokes they never made? Is it dementia? It's dementia, isn't it?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
What does someone else's opinion gave to do with me?

Is this like you picking a random Aussie and having a crack at them about tennis jokes they never made? Is it dementia? It's dementia, isn't it?

Not dimentia.

Hiney and I disagreed over the number 8 role, and you and Always Green et al involved yourselves.

Hiney thought his eyesight should persuade me more than calculations. I disagreed and have suffered insults.

So now, you, Always Green and Hiney are fair game. Deal with it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not dimentia.

Hiney and I disagreed over the number 8 role, and you and Always Green et al involved yourselves.

Hiney thought his eyesight should persuade me more than calculations. I disagreed and have suffered insults.

So now, you, Always Green and Hiney are fair game. Deal with it.

Lol. I involved myself in your overly high opinion of The Might Chris Woakes you pelican. That doesn't mean I share the opinion of someone else other than the fact that both of us think you're a complete moron. Sabermetrically.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
This is honestly what happens when you play all your players in all the forms, Warner looks burnt out, same as Smith should of given them a rest after the Test series.

1. Finch
2. S Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Head
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Starc (3 out of 5)
9. Jye Richardson
10. Billy Stanlake
11. Lyon or Swepson

Obviously injuries killed Finch and Uzzie, but that team would of given it a better crack.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lol. I involved myself in your overly high opinion of The Might Chris Woakes you pelican. That doesn't mean I share the opinion of someone else other than the fact that both of us think you're a complete moron. Sabermetrically.

Well I'm glad you think sabermetrics is useful for something, now. Unfortunately for you, Sabermetrics is not an IQ test. So you kinda missed the boat on that one. Buit if you try really hard, prepare, have a really good day, and get spoon fed some answers, I believe that you may crack three figures on your next IQ test.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well I'm glad you think sabermetrics is useful for something, now. Unfortunately for you, Sabermetrics is not an IQ test. So you kinda missed the boat on that one. Buit if you try really hard, prepare, have a really good day, and get spoon fed some answers, I believe that you may crack three figures on your next IQ test.

Is that your opinion, or are you confusing it with some unrelated opinion?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
This is honestly what happens when you play all your players in all the forms, Warner looks burnt out, same as Smith should of given them a rest after the Test series.

1. Finch
2. S Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Head
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Starc (3 out of 5)
9. Jye Richardson
10. Billy Stanlake
11. Lyon or Swepson

Obviously injuries killed Finch and Uzzie, but that team would of given it a better crack.

Still has 4 bowlers.

Look at what took you to number 1.

You had 4 batsmen, a keeper bat, and Watson with Maxwell, with Faulkner scoring runs.

That was 8 wickets that the opposition had to take before the game was beyond hope.

The tail in your suggested team still appears at only 6 down.

Bazal

Post Whore
It is my my opinion, but it would be shared by anyone who knows what sabermetrics and/or IQ tests are.

I'm not sure why you think sabermetrics and IQ tests are linked. You seem to take mocking as a literal statement.

Are you on the spectrum?