What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

Spot On

Coach
Players, or should I say specific teams that have been doing this for years, aren't accepting the changes and are trying to force a referee backflip by refusing to accept the crackdown. Binning Smith is a great demonstration of how willing they are to challenge the Archer order.

Exactly. May it continue. Players have run the joint for too long. Time the tide turns. Happy to wait as long as it takes. If multiple binnings and send offs are needed then so be it. And to add to that, the huff huff in the media and social media should not influence the refs to change their course of action one iota. Stick solid.

Quidgybo

Bench
Players aren't going to fall into line. They're just going to exploit it and make an even larger mess out of everything.
But there’s the thing. Eventually one team of players is going to work out that if they fall into line while the others keep resisting, they’ll win both the penalty count and their games in a cantor. Watch how quickly every other team picks up on this revolutionary new tactic.

Leigh.

kbw

Bench
As a Fan all I really want is consistency, that's what should be the goal and I do not think blowing the pea out of he whistle is achieving it.
but also surely the players have to shoulder some of the blame for doing many of the dumbass things that lead to penalties

Life's Good

Coach
I just watched Bellamy in the press conference and he was more concerned about how the Storm played than the penalties. He conceded that as a game teams need to adapt to the officiating as it now stands. No blow ups or drama at all. Carried himself really well IMO.
The message seems loud & clear and tonight might serve as the start of a bigger effort by the teams.
The sky isn’t falling despite what the merchants of hysteria will have you believe.

Spot On

Coach
There wouldn’t be one play of the ball inside the 10 where every player is behind the line as the ball leaves the ruck.

Then get onside and don't leave till the ball leaves the ruck. They aren't being asked to do something they aren't aware of or have trained for their entire career. And most importantly - it isn't hard to do.

LineBall

Juniors
The media makes me sick. This will be blown out of proportion a la Steve Smith. The faux outrage from the commentators and ex players shows why none of these people should be allowed to influence the decision makers of the game.

t-ba

Post Whore
This crackdown is necessary but if this keeps up they need to start sin binning the shit out of the players. If they don't get it the first time start giving them cool off time.

Shorty

Staff member
But there’s the thing. Eventually one team of players is going to work out that if they fall into line while the others keep resisting, they’ll win both the penalty count and their games in a cantor. Watch how quickly every other team picks up on this revolutionary new tactic.

Leigh.
Not when they've been playing a particular style for years.
Muscle memory is a thing.

It's not going to happen for months and I'm skeptical if we see it this year.

It's been 4 rounds, do you see any improvements?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

4 rounds is nowhere near enough. Entire training regimes need to adapt, ones that the clubs clearly didn't buy into in this off season past because they assumed the refs would fold like a castle of cards like they usually do.

Not to be this time it seems, for now anyway.

Spot On

Coach
I just watched Bellamy in the press conference and he was more concerned about how the Storm played than the penalties. He conceded that as a game teams need to adapt to the officiating as it now stands. No blow ups or drama at all. Carried himself really well IMO.
The message seems loud & clear and tonight might serve as the start of a bigger effort by the teams.
The sky isn’t falling despite what the merchants of hysteria will have you believe.

Great stuff. So can some of the merkins in LU stop whinging and wash the sand out of their vijayjays?

Or to use a Broncoism .... stop being so salty.

MilkShark

First Grade

The teams know the penalties normally stop after a crack down early on in the season, except this time it may not come.

t-ba

Post Whore

Problem is, what else can be done about it?

The game has been stumbling towards the current f**king uneven mess because of the latitude that players have been given since some dipshit gave Bill Harrigan control over the 'interpretation' of the game after the War.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Leigh.

Not if they do it by exploiting the trigger happy nature of the refs.

Rugby League needs balance to be entertaining. I'm not saying to stop penalising defensive plays that are legit, but if they allow the degree of milking we saw this game to go unchecked then that imbalance will only show teams how to exploit rather than clean up.

It won't have the desired effect.

Life's Good

Coach
You can’t though , unless you want to become union and accept 20-30penalties a game and scores of 8-6 in penalty kicks.
Reality is probably 2-3 out of 6 tackles someone will be slightly inside the 10. Or a tackle may go 1 sec longer than normal or a player can’t quite get fully out of the ruck or a thousand other technical reasons you could give a penalty. Look at the low penalty rate in origin, you really think that’s because no one is offside or laying on? And yet we rate them as the pinnacle entertainment games.

Happy to see obvious penalties given or where the Infringement directly impacts the play. I’d also like to see two penalties in a row inside the 10 next is automatic sinbin
Stop falling for the sh*t being blown out of proportion by the media. The same media that cried about wrestling, offside, hands in the ruck etc. last year(& years before that).
Do you honestly believe there will be games of 30+ penalties on a consistent basis? Stop & think that a game with this number of penalties is designed to send a message to coaches & players to get their sh*t together & fast. If that means to sacrifice a few games for the betterment of the game then so be it.
Behaviour needs to change and that will only be brought about by staying the course.

Spot On

Coach
4 rounds is nowhere near enough. Entire training regimes need to adapt, ones that the clubs clearly didn't buy into in this off season past because they assumed the refs would fold like a castle of cards like they usually do.

Oh well, open comp then isn't it.

At least the coaches can blame 'muscle memory' if they miss the 8.

Shorty

Staff member

I agree but in the mean time what is the product going to look like?
I think the nrl has handled this poorly.

Fruits of the labours will take several years and at what cost?