What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

Quidgybo

Bench
Not if they do it by exploiting the trigger happy nature of the refs.

Rugby League needs balance to be entertaining. I'm not saying to stop penalising defensive plays that are legit, but if they allow the degree of milking we saw this game to go unchecked then that imbalance will only show teams how to exploit rather than clean up.
Failing to have your foot on a clearly marked goal line and back chatting are not penalties exploited by your opposition. They’re self inflicted. Laying on and holding down in the ruck is not muscle memory, it’s a tactic that players can magically stop when they’re behind with one minute to go and the opposition has the ball. Sure, it can be exploited by the opposition diving and flapping about but not even half the penalties inflicted for this are triggered by the opposition. They’re clear attempts to slow the play the ball. As with the other two areas, concentrate on fixing what you can control in your own game to minimise your penalty count and you’ll win easily in the current climate.

Leigh.

Life's Good

Coach
Failing to have your foot on a clearly marked goal line and back chatting are not penalties exploited by your opposition. They’re self inflicted. Laying on and holding down in the ruck is not muscle memory, it’s a tactic that players can magically stop when they’re behind with one minute to go and the opposition has the ball. Sure, it can be exploited by the opposition diving and flapping about but not even half the penalties inflicted for this are triggered by the opposition. They’re clear attempts to slow the play the ball. As with the other two areas, concentrate on fixing what you can control in your own game to minimise your penalty count and you’ll win easily in the current climate.

Leigh.
You’re talking way too much sense in this thread.

M2D2

Bench
I know. It aint fair.

A game of any type should not have rules or expect the players to follow them in order to have a game.

f**king stupid idea hey.
Nope.
Refs are doing this, not the players.
So where does the responsibility lie?
Refs/Refs boss.
They are the ones doing it.
Its funny, at the game tonight, my phone was blowing up, the crowd was blowing up at the refs.
Come on here "Its good for the game".
f**king morons.

Life's Good

Coach
Exactly.

The coaches and players have to get it through their dumbarse brains. Stay on side, let em up to play the ball etc etc.

It’s called the rules.

Sooner they start filling them the game will be better, faster and free flowing.
Pretty simple isn’t it. And in fairness to Bellamy & Flanagan they said as much in their press conferences tonight.
I’m sure the coaches are getting it but the players aren’t which will take a bit of time & pain but I’m prepared for it to get a better product.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I know. It aint fair.

A game of any type should not have rules or expect the players to follow them in order to have a game.

f**king stupid idea hey.
I can’t believe some mongs on here are actually sticking up for the players and coaches on this issue.

They are the ones breaking the rules. How dare the referees start penalizing infringements as per the rule book.

Shorty

Staff member
I can’t believe some mongs on here are actually sticking up for the players and coaches on this issue.

They are the ones breaking the rules. How dare the referees start penalizing infringements as per the rule book.
I'm not sticking up for anyone.
The game looks awful and I don't think it's going to change, as a result it's going to have a negative effect on the NRL.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Nope.

Refs/Refs boss.
Its funny, at the game tonight, my phone was blowing up, the crowd was blowing up at the refs.
f**king morons.

Ah yeah because Twitter and the rank and file at SCG Stadium know what's best for Rugby League

Tweed Titan

Bench
Nope.

Refs/Refs boss.
f**king morons.
You’re clearly the moron. You are blaming the refs for penalizing players for breaking the rules of the game. I could care less what Jimmy sitting on the hill thinks after 8 coldies.

simmo05

Bench
Look at how great 2005 was football wise. The last season before wrestlemania truly kicked off.
The coaches voted to change the interpretation of the rules because the tigers and cows made them all look stupid.

M2D2

Bench
So the refs are telling players to hold on in tackles, play the ball on their knees, back chat??
And how many of the record amount of penalities was that for.
Less than 1/4.

Please. This is a refs boss call to f**k over the game. "Oh the players will learn"
Yeah. Right.

Spot On

Coach
I'm not sticking up for anyone.
The game looks awful and I don't think it's going to change, as a result it's going to have a negative effect on the NRL.

You are obviously oblivious to the constant whinging about the state of the game prior to 4 weeks ago.

Shorty

Staff member
You are obviously oblivious to the constant whinging of the state of the game prior to 4 weeks ago.
I'm not oblivious to anything.
This wasn't the right way to do it.
Can you actually with a straight face say what has been displayed in the last 4 rounds is a good look?

What you say to a new fan? 'Oh it'll be really good when the players stop breaking the rules!'