What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Brisbane @ANZ Stadium Thursday 26th April

Rabbits20

Immortal
Some really great points there bro.
We looked tired tonight!

Gagai was very disappointing!

Kennar a broken ankle they reckon too! He wasn't himself tonight either!

What really missed was Sam out there and we missed him big time!

Our line speed was no good tonight!

We can't be leaking that many points like we have past fortnight!

We are 4-4 and right in that bunch now from say teams 6th-11th.

If we play like that against Dragons in a fortnight we will lose by 30.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Im sick of corey oates useing us for try practice every game against us we dont learn its bloody frustrating
I was at the game and boy did he kill it! Brilliant he was!

NRL App says we missed 37 tackles but go and count each players individual misses and you get 42 missed tackles. Won't win many games playing like that. 5 missed tackles to Gagai too who was soft!

English Rose

Juniors
The problem was that the spine (Apart from Johnson) were woeful. Walker, Reynolds and Cook all had bad games tonight.

Also for the amount of money Gagai is on (rumoured to be 800k a season) he should be offering a lot more both in attack and especially defence! I bet GI and Sam are not on much more money than him.

Pommy

Coach
The problem was that the spine (Apart from Johnson) were woeful. Walker, Reynolds and Cook all had bad games tonight.

Also for the amount of money Gagai is on (rumoured to be 800k a season) he should be offering a lot more both in attack and especially defence! I bet GI and Sam are not on much more money than him.

It’s hardly shock though. I think we all got blinded by his origin form and forgot what his Newcastle form was actually like

Pommy

Coach
I think everyone needs to calm down and take a few deep breaths. Although we lost the game our performance was by no means bad.

What game did you watch? We were dire.
We were just lucky that they disallowed their try and gave Sutton his otherwise it would have looked like a right flogging.
I’m not going to panic and next week I think we can get a win but that performance was certainly deserving of the title bad.

souths_reborn

Juniors
We were just lucky that they disallowed their try and gave Sutton his otherwise it would have looked like a right flogging.
I’m not going to panic and next week I think we can get a win but that performance was certainly deserving of the title bad.
I have to disagree. I think people in the South Sydney thread exaggerate and resort to hyperbole as a way of releasing frustration every time we lose a game!

What cost us tonight was fatigue. It’s no coincidence that we have looked our shakiest during the back end of games, even in those matches that we have won! Many people are going to highlight the errors that we made in the second half as the catalyst for us losing. You have to ask yourself why these errors were made in the context of both tonight’s match and our season as a whole. For me, it has to be fatigue. I think a lot of people underestimate the impact that fatigue has on overall performance - it results in lower output for almost EVERY aspect of the game. Not only do you tire physically but you aren’t at your sharpest mentally either! Remember, this is arguably the key factor behind our previous coach’s demise!

In saying that, we only made 11 errors for the entire game - the Broncos made 10! Fox Sports has us down for making 6 of those in the second half. From memory our completion rate was 76% While this isn’t ideal I’ve seen teams make a lot more errors and complete a lot less sets and still get the money! Ultimately, the Broncos played an excellent half of footy in the second 40 and we have to acknowledge their efforts!

Curns13

Juniors
Some people are confusing a frantic and desperate last 10 minutes with a ‘never give up’ attitude. That attitude wasnt there when Oates wandered through our entire team, when Kennar let Boyd score or when Nikorima walked around some tired forwards.

souths_reborn

Juniors

You’ve got to be joking! He has been excellent all season! Ok he wasn’t at his best tonight but I’d say that he, along with Cook and Sam, have been our best and most consistent players all year. His kick returns and evasiveness are part of the reason why we look far more potent when we spread the ball than we did in the previous couple of seasons under Madge!

Curns13

Juniors
I have to disagree. I think people in the South Sydney thread exaggerate and resort to hyperbole as a way of releasing frustration every time we lose a game!

What cost us tonight was fatigue. It’s no coincidence that we have looked our shakiest during the back end of games, even in those matches that we have won! Many people are going to highlight the errors that we made in the second half as the catalyst for us losing. You have to ask yourself why these errors were made in the context of both tonight’s match and our season as a whole. For me, it has to be fatigue. I think a lot of people underestimate the impact that fatigue has on overall performance - it results in lower output for almost EVERY aspect of the game. Not only do you tire physically but you aren’t at your sharpest mentally either! Remember, this is arguably the key factor behind our previous coach’s demise!

In saying that, we only made 11 errors for the entire game - the Broncos made 10! Fox Sports has us down for making 6 of those in the second half. From memory our completion rate was 76% While this isn’t ideal I’ve seen teams make a lot more errors and complete a lot less sets and still get the money! Ultimately, the Broncos played an excellent half of footy in the second 40 and we have to acknowledge their efforts!
We were fatigued because we played stupid. Clark, Cook and Kennar just gave them the ball inside their own half. Cody ran it dead instead of giving us a 7 tackle set from the 20. Cody threw a certain try away with a crap pass. The Broncos didn’t really force any of those things, we gave it to them. They were good enough to capitalise on it, but we were our own worst enemy that 2nd half.

Spot On

Coach
It’s hardly shock though. I think we all got blinded by his origin form and forgot what his Newcastle form was actually like

He stands on the end of the QLD backline. Falls over for tries. He is a winger. He was awful for Newcastle in the centres. He should always be a target for opposition attack while defending at centre. He must be hidden away when Souths do not have the ball.

These things should have been glaringly obvious to South's recruitment. At 800K a season he should be halving his missed tackle count immediately. On that coin, he should the best centre in the comp. Facts are he is only interested in having -a-go when running the ball. But even then, he can't get over the try line.

I thought Siebold may have worked it out by now. It must be testing his patience.

Does anyone know if Seibold targetted Dane's defensive issues in the pre-season knowing he wasn't up to scratch for the $$$ being paid???

Curns13

Juniors
He stands on the end of the QLD backline. Falls over for tries. He is a winger. He was awful for Newcastle in the centres. He should always be a target for opposition attack while defending at centre. He must be hidden away when Souths do not have the ball.

These things should have been glaringly obvious to South's recruitment. At 800K a season he should be halving his missed tackle count immediately. On that coin, he should the best centre in the comp. Facts are he is only interested in having -a-go when running the ball. But even then, he can't get over the try line.

I thought Siebold may have worked it out by now. It must be testing his patience.

Does anyone know if Seibold targetted Dane's defensive issues in the pre-season knowing he wasn't up to scratch for the $$$ being paid???
Why not have Jennings defend at centre and Dane on the wing? Might be able to hide him there.

English Rose

Juniors
You’ve got to be joking! He has been excellent all season! Ok he wasn’t at his best tonight but I’d say that he, along with Cook and Sam, have been our best and most consistent players all year. His kick returns and evasiveness are part of the reason why we look far more potent when we spread the ball than we did in the previous couple of seasons under Madge!

You kidding? The guy is on 800k per season and suppose to be an attacking weapon and has so far registered 0 trys! Don't think he has set up too many either. There is a reason Souths go to the left side in attack 90% of the time. As for his defence, he leads the missed tackles for Souths this year!

Players who have deffo been better than Gagai this year:

Inglis
Jennings
Walker
Tom
Sam
George
Cook
Murray
Sutton
Tatola

There are probably a few more i could have put in too!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Horrible second half. Just some really stupid play. In almost consecutive sets, Clark lost it in a one on one, Cook threw it to them and Kennar couldn’t find the ground. That’s 3 extra sets and a whole f**kload of momentum we just handed them in the early part of the 2nd half.

Sam has a lot to answer for. His stupidity in an easily won game probably just cost us a win. I hope he feels like shit tonight, bcause with him out there we are 5-3 and knocking on the door of the top 4.
Correct Curns.

If Sam was there we win!

Our middle was much softer there.

callmack1

Staff member

I'm totally with you on this one mate!!

Some people are confusing a frantic and desperate last 10 minutes with a ‘never give up’ attitude. That attitude wasnt there when Oates wandered through our entire team, when Kennar let Boyd score or when Nikorima walked around some tired forwards.
While what you say is true, I think last years team would've lost that game by at least 30. This year we keep fighting.

Correct Curns.

If Sam was there we win!

Our middle was much softer there.
Exactly! If Sam hadn't been suspended so much, imo, we'd be on o six game winning streak by now.

We are really missing him and his punch last night probably would've got us over the line.

souths_reborn

Juniors
We were fatigued because we played stupid. Clark, Cook and Kennar just gave them the ball inside their own half. Cody ran it dead instead of giving us a 7 tackle set from the 20. Cody threw a certain try away with a crap pass. The Broncos didn’t really force any of those things, we gave it to them. They were good enough to capitalise on it, but we were our own worst enemy that 2nd half.
Those mistakes all happened midway through the second half when the team was fatiguing. Like I've explained, 'silly 'mistakes such as those that you mentioned are symptomatic of being low on energy. You are only half right when you say that the Broncos didn't force those mistakes. Yes, they were unforced errors but they came about because the Broncos were winning the 'arm-wrestle'. By that I mean the Broncos were dominating us in and around the ruck as well as penetrating constantly out wide.