What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Roosters

age.s

First Grade
I'm pro the Moylan/Maloney swap and I thought Jimmy was awful last night. Worst player on the park and deserves a slamming. Doubt he'll play that badly again.

I'm pro the Moylan/Maloney swap and I thought Jimmy was awful last night. Worst player on the park and deserves a slamming. Doubt he'll play that badly again.
Unfortunately he is prone to throw that no look passes, which leads to tries for the opposition. He did that in State of Origin.

OldPanther

Coach
No, I think people are saying we played poorly but we kept trying until the end. They had to work hard to beat us. We could have just have easily given up and had 50 points put on us.

I understand that but Panthers were the cause of their own issues. I'd give that opinion more credit if we didn't lose by so much and were just the victim of a better team/bad luck/refs.

TheFrog

Coach
were just the victim of a better team/bad luck/refs.
Actually that pretty much covers it.

Unfortunately he is prone to throw that no look passes, which leads to tries for the opposition. He did that in State of Origin.
The one last night, he really should have looked. The Roosters bloke waited half an hour for the ball. The Origin one he had a huge overlap but if he'd assessed the situation he might have kicked for the winger. I expect even at his stage of career he'll learn from his mistakes.

I'm tending to overlook his one bad run because (a) he was in such good form previously and (b) he kept trying things right to the end.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I understand that but Panthers were the cause of their own issues. I'd give that opinion more credit if we didn't lose by so much and were just the victim of a better team/bad luck/refs.

It was across the board too. The Crichton pass across the posts in the wind. A few misses from Peachey. Phillips messing that try no one was error free.. Been a while since that has been the case

Fangs

Coach
Should have rested our halves for the Canberra game. They both had their worst games on 2018 on Friday. One tried too hard and the other was invisible.

Looking at the draw I cant see any players getting a rest now. July will be a tough month.

OldPanther

Coach
Should have rested our halves for the Canberra game. They both had their worst games on 2018 on Friday. One tried too hard and the other was invisible.

Looking at the draw I cant see any players getting a rest now. July will be a tough month.

The interesting part is Cleary would have been responsible for two tries had Phillips not bombed his.

Hope our halves aren't too run down later in the year.

franklin2323

Immortal

Canberra game I understood given who was out. Gus will advise when to rest. Once Blake and Mansour are back we can go into games with May and either half

Fangs

Coach
Canberra game I understood given who was out. Gus will advise when to rest. Once Blake and Mansour are back we can go into games with May and either half

Wasn't it Gus on the six tackles podcast who said it was unlikely any of our players would back up (For the Canberra game)? I'm quite sure this would have been Hook's decision.

Can't see anyone getting rested against Manly with Origin being a stand alone weekend. We then play the Warriors, Sharks and Broncos who will all be very tough to beat without our Origin players.

I think we missed an opportunity with the Canberra game. They must have a plan in mind because that game appeared to be the most obvious opportunity to give players a rest. It may be taken out of our hands if these guys get injured.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wasn't it Gus on the six tackles podcast who said it was unlikely any of our players would back up (For the Canberra game)? I'm quite sure this would have been Hook's decision.

Can't see anyone getting rested against Manly with Origin being a stand alone weekend. We then play the Warriors, Sharks and Broncos who will all be very tough to beat without our Origin players.

I think we missed an opportunity with the Canberra game. They must have a plan in mind because that game appeared to be the most obvious opportunity to give players a rest. It may be taken out of our hands if these guys get injured.

The 21 that was named to play Canberra was missing 10 guys from the FG team. 11 once Luai pulled out due to the baby being born. So why would you say no if they want to play.

We play Canberra, GC and Knights all in a row. None will play finals that would be where I rest a few guys over those games. Injuries settle down we hopefully have top 4 locked up and can afford to drop a game or 2.

Leaves us Warriors and Storm games to prepare for the finals

Abacus

Juniors
As the emotion from Friday's loss dies down, my thoughts:

1. Our back 3 let us down. We've been able to rely on sets getting started by Edwards, Mansour & DWZ. As Chrichton & Phillips are less effective with their hit ups and slower PTB's, it seems teams are now kicking to DWZ to limit our initial go forward. Also DWZ's defence in the Roosters 2nd half tries was poor, particularly not putting a shot on Tupou for his last try.

2. Katoa needs some defensive coaching. His service out of dummy half is beautiful, however he appears to like to tackle high which allowed Roosters players to keep their legs pumping. Given Katoa's size and that his predecessor was 1 of our best leg tacklers, Katoa needs to take up this role in our middle defense. Katoa also gave the penalty in the set after the intercept try that led to the Roosters 2nd try.

3. I was going to include CHN as a significant issue although now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt following the news that he's playing busted.

4. Maloney had an absolute shocker. No point sugar coating it. He's had a very good season so far but maybe put too much pressure on himself coming up against one of his old teams.

5. We appear to have been flat since the bye. Not sure if it still happens but teams used to load up their training during the rep season before tapering off for the last 5-6 games of the regular season. This would involve effectively a mini-preseason so they are fine-tuned physically. Could be a reason?

6. Finally, Roosters have 3 weeks until their next game. They may have targeted this game to go a bit harder knowing they have longer to recover (rep players excepted).

Anyway, a disappointing night and worth noting the key points in the 2nd half being Phillips bombed try, followed by Peachey's sin bin (which I thought was a tough call) during which the Roosters 2nd try was scored.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
3. I was going to include CHN as a significant issue although now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt following the news that he's playing busted.

I agree with your analysis.

On CHN, I didn’t know he was busted. What injury is he carrying?

Latest posts