What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Roosters

OldPanther

Coach
Everyone keeps saying we did well considering the possession percentage but it was mostly our own mistakes that created the lopsided statistic. We are basically saying "it was a good performance considering we performed poorly".

Umina may have said it twice. lol. My point remains though. There are plenty of examples of the supposed naysayers giving praise when deserved to those they have bagged in the past.

I was one. I said Whare and Tamou were good.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cleary is just to blame. He was invisible which made Maloney have to do it all when he too was having a bad game
I thought Joseph Manu must have been invisible when Maloney passed the ball directly to him.

They had an even share of touches. Cleary just didnt f**k up with all his touches. Not saying Cleary played well. But he did come up with a big play on last tackles when we were stuck deep in our own territory that should have resulted in a try. He also had the one and only linebreak assist in the game.

Cleary was poor. Maloney was terrible. Neither player is the resson the other guy played the way they did. Maloney played most of the season with Peachey at 6 getting no help at all. As a resilt of that Cleary has taken a backseat to Maloney. Which is what everyone said had to happen.

The 3 coming back will help. Problem is 3 with SOO another 4 halfway across the world in Denver. Means we won't get any extra sessions together nor a rest. The hurt should build from tonight though

Then we have Warriors without our halves and Sharks 2 days after SOO 3.

We will be right after that but we don't want to leave to much to do coming into the finals.

We are still running 3rd which is good this is just a testing period where we don't want to start losing games in blocks

That said I can't imagine we will get many more games with only 32% possession

True with the last point. We need to definitely win 1 but preferably 2 of those games. If Melbourne and Cronulla win tonight we are one loss away from dropping down to 6th and 2 losses away from dropping to 7th given our superior F/A to Cronulla. While there is a massive gap between the Top 8 and Bottom 8, the gap between the teams in the top eight is not that big and there could still be a lot of movement.

franklin2323

Immortal
I thought Joseph Manu must have been invisible when Maloney passed the ball directly to him.

They had an even share of touches. Cleary just didnt f**k up with all his touches. Not saying Cleary played well. But he did come up with a big play on last tackles when we were stuck deep in our own territory that should have resulted in a try. He also had the one and only linebreak assist in the game.

Cleary was poor. Maloney was terrible. Neither player is the resson the other guy played the way they did. Maloney played most of the season with Peachey at 6 getting no help at all. As a resilt of that Cleary has taken a backseat to Maloney. Which is what everyone said had to happen.

Even after that break Peachey should of made the tackle from marker. Everyone was off that was the issue so I can't blame any one person. Our linespeed was awful

franklin2323

Immortal
True with the last point. We need to definitely win 1 but preferably 2 of those games. If Melbourne and Cronulla win tonight we are one loss away from dropping down to 6th and 2 losses away from dropping to 7th given our superior F/A to Cronulla. While there is a massive gap between the Top 8 and Bottom 8, the gap between the teams in the top eight is not that big and there could still be a lot of movement.

I think the 8 is set the issue is any of the top 7 can finish top 4. So that said 3rd isn't as comfortable as in previous years. It is why I have been cautious all along.

We wouldn't be the 1st team to fall apart during time. Throw in the constant injuries that have zapped the young guys... Easy to fall away. Let's hope that isn't the case.

Barring injuries this week we will have Peachey, Kikau and Tamou on the bench next week. Strongest bench we have had for a while. So certainly enough to say it was just one of those days

We will slip down, unfortunately.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Luai and May are looking pretty good. The quality of opposition isn't as good but they look pretty comfortable today.

martielang

Bench
Everyone keeps saying we did well considering the possession percentage but it was mostly our own mistakes that created the lopsided statistic. We are basically saying "it was a good performance considering we performed poorly"..

I think you’ve got to understand there’s a difference between crediting our goal line defence (& being happy with our defensive application), & saying it was a good overall performance. No one is saying it was a good performance but surely you could see we really dug in defensively despite being undermanned & under the pump for 80 mins.

I don’t buy the Roosters took their foot off the gas they hammered us for 80 mins, their ball control was terrific & They ran some really sharp plays which would of tore a lot of teams apart. We held strong for the most part. Phillips scores that try late & it could of been interesting.

I just find it strange how far people go out of their way to criticise Maloney. Seems to be the same people who kissed the feet of Moylan. Coincidence? I think not.

Every teams form drops off at sometime during the season. If this is our rut & we get away with a win in Canberra & a lose to the Roosters, I’m happy with that.

Most will think this is just more hating from me but Jimmy isn't a leader and a bad choice for captain. His personality doesn't suit the role, very similar to Moylan actually

OldPanther

Coach
I think you’ve got to understand there’s a difference between crediting our goal line defence (& being happy with our defensive application), & saying it was a good overall performance. No one is saying it was a good performance but surely you could see we really dug in defensively despite being undermanned & under the pump for 80 mins.

I don’t buy the Roosters took their foot off the gas they hammered us for 80 mins, their ball control was terrific & They ran some really sharp plays which would of tore a lot of teams apart. We held strong for the most part. Phillips scores that try late & it could of been interesting.

I just find it strange how far people go out of their way to criticise Maloney. Seems to be the same people who kissed the feet of Moylan. Coincidence? I think not.

Every teams form drops off at sometime during the season. If this is our rut & we get away with a win in Canberra & a lose to the Roosters, I’m happy with that.

He threw an intercept, kicked balls dead and out on the full. While he's been good for us this year he is a big reason for the possession stat. He deserves criticism and needs to improve. I said it before our halves needed a rest.

mxlegend99

Referee
Most will think this is just more hating from me but Jimmy isn't a leader and a bad choice for captain. His personality doesn't suit the role, very similar to Moylan actually
Surprised Merrin isnt above Maloney for captain. Been here longer and was in this mix when Hook decided on Moylan.

Its a cursed role in our team though.

Kilkenny

Coach
It was a terrible game to watch. Very frustrating. We can't play like that again and players being injured doesn't excuse our halves of being so bad. Maloney single handedly gave Roosters the game with the constant errors. 1 intercept, 1 kick out on the full, 2 7 tackle sets. Cleary did well setting up the Whare try and also the try that was bombed so his worst is clearly still reasonable quality.

We all agree our performance was awful but we are not able to compete on a level playing field against the other top sides given we are far from being able to field our best side.

I said during the week that I would be happy to win half of our games in the next six weeks or so because with our injuries and the rep season now in full swing we are going to be impacted more than any other side in the top eight.

We all agree our performance was awful but we are not able to compete on a level playing field against the other top sides given we are far from being able to field our best side.

I said during the week that I would be happy to win half of our games in the next six weeks or so because with our injuries and the rep season now in full swing we are going to be impacted more than any other side in the top eight.
The issue is our pack was still on par or better and they straight up rolled over like bitches

Pomoz

Bench
Everyone keeps saying we did well considering the possession percentage but it was mostly our own mistakes that created the lopsided statistic. We are basically saying "it was a good performance considering we performed poorly".

I was one. I said Whare and Tamou were good.
No, I think people are saying we played poorly but we kept trying until the end. They had to work hard to beat us. We could have just have easily given up and had 50 points put on us.

GongPanther

Referee
Yeah baring anymore injuries fingers crossed, once blake, sauce return our backline will be strong again. Kiks and Leota back forward pack will be strong again. Agreed i wouldn't take too much out of this game, i think we are going pretty well considering how much disruption the team has had all year. I think the premiership will be won on injuries this year.

For me,it's not the injuries for any side that will determine the finals.,it's the refs that will be more effective in who will win this years GF.