What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Roosters

and so it begins, one loss and the clowns come out to play. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Well its 2 awful games in a row. Squad management is bloody hard at the best of times around origin and with our injuries its even harder but the call to not rest our halves has proven to be a mistake

OldPanther

Coach
Well its 2 awful games in a row. Squad management is bloody hard at the best of times around origin and with our injuries its even harder but the call to not rest our halves has proven to be a mistake

X2. They looked exhausted in the Raiders and Chooks games.

TheFrog

Coach
Finally, Roosters have 3 weeks until their next game. They may have targeted this game to go a bit harder knowing they have longer to recover (rep players excepted).
Actually, they play the Storm on Friday week, then have the bye after that. Not that it matters. Coach Robinson made it clear that he was aiming to have his side make a statement in this game, but maybe it worked too well. We have to wait and see if they are complacent when/if we play them in the finals. It has happened before, more than once.

franklin2323

Immortal

So who would you of played v Canberra? Easy to say but without the options

martielang

Bench

But hypothetically if we had lost against the Raiders because we didn’t play our halves, then there would be people whinging about that.

FWIW I would of rested them last week, but not sure our loss Friday proves it was a mistake or proves anything either way.

franklin2323

Immortal
But hypothetically if we had lost against the Raiders because we didn’t play our halves, then there would be people whinging about that.

FWIW I would of rested them last week, but not sure our loss Friday proves it was a mistake or proves anything either way.

I have said the point in the draw I'd rest the guys. We lose if we rest the origin players v Canberra. We would run out something like:

DWZ
Crichton
Eisenhuth
Whare
Phillips
May
Egan
Merrin
Katoa
JFH
CHN
Kikau
Yeo
Tamou
Ellis
Tui-Loso
Martin

No guarantee we beat the Roosters either

OldPanther

Coach
So who would you of played v Canberra? Easy to say but without the options

I would have played May/Luai and risked losing. We are going to have some necessary losses at this time of year anyway so might as well use it for our own benifit and let Maloney/Cleary get a much needed rest.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would have played May/Luai and risked losing. We are going to have some necessary losses at this time of year anyway so might as well use it for our own benifit and let Maloney/Cleary get a much needed rest.

Luai was unavailable due to baby being born. What if they can't back up after SOO 3? Or pick up a niggle and need to miss a few weeks?

We add Blake, Leota and Hetherington to the player pool now. Much stronger team now to rest the guys

OldPanther

Coach
Luai was unavailable due to baby being born. What if they can't back up after SOO 3? Or pick up a niggle and need to miss a few weeks?

We add Blake, Leota and Hetherington to the player pool now. Much stronger team now to rest the guys

I didn't know that about Luai. We can rest players for more than one game. Your response seems to suggest there's a limit.

franklin2323

Immortal
I didn't know that about Luai. We can rest players for more than one game. Your response seems to suggest there's a limit.

We have to wrap a finals spot up 1st of all. No point getting them fresh for Sept if we aren't playing.

There is plenty of experienced people around the club that have been through it. Maybe light training is enough maybe a game or 2.

No one rule fits all got to listen to the players 1st of all. All wanted to play they will get their rest later

OldPanther

Coach
We have to wrap a finals spot up 1st of all. No point getting them fresh for Sept if we aren't playing.

There is plenty of experienced people around the club that have been through it. Maybe light training is enough maybe a game or 2.

No one rule fits all got to listen to the players 1st of all. All wanted to play they will get their rest later

I don't disagree at all they just looked tired the last two games watching from an outside perspective. Dragons have been more cautious and they look mutch better for it.

mxlegend99

Referee

Cleary shouldn't have required a rest having spent so long on the sidelines.

But Maloney should have been rested. Tyrone May or Peachey make it an easy thing to get away with. We might have lost against Raiders if we did that. Or maybe a fresher body would have helped us. No way to know.

But that rest would have likely resulted in a better Maloney against Roosters.

Hes older than our other Origin players and has played more minutes than any of them. His defence makes him a target aswell.

Maybe we would have been 2 points worse off. But I think it would havd been the better call for Maloney. The guy has played 80 minutes in all 14 games for us and an additional 80 minutes in Origin. He's more than 80 minutes ahead of our next closest player considering all of our backs have missed games.

I think he earned a rest. I think his performance on the weekend is likely a result of being exhausted from a ridiculous workload.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't disagree at all they just looked tired the last two games watching from an outside perspective. Dragons have been more cautious and they look mutch better for it.

Dragons have zero injuries elsewhere and played on the Monday after SOO 1. Very easy to be cautious in such situations

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary shouldn't have required a rest having spent so long on the sidelines.

But Maloney should have been rested. Tyrone May or Peachey make it an easy thing to get away with. We might have lost against Raiders if we did that. Or maybe a fresher body would have helped us. No way to know.

But that rest would have likely resulted in a better Maloney against Roosters.

Hes older than our other Origin players and has played more minutes than any of them. His defence makes him a target aswell.

Maybe we would have been 2 points worse off. But I think it would havd been the better call for Maloney. The guy has played 80 minutes in all 14 games for us and an additional 80 minutes in Origin. He's more than 80 minutes ahead of our next closest player considering all of our backs have missed games.

I think he earned a rest. I think his performance on the weekend is likely a result of being exhausted from a ridiculous workload.

Or it is because he had a short week training who is too know. He said he wanted to back up so you'd go with want he wants atm. I don't think he plays v GC up there or backs up v Sharks

OldPanther

Coach
Dragons have zero injuries elsewhere and played on the Monday after SOO 1. Very easy to be cautious in such situations

Them having zero injuries means we've had more strain on our experienced players, particularly Maloney' resulting in needing a rest more.

Latest posts